Matt Campbell and Iowa State

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
How does the media miss that Matt Campbell and Iowa State have put two potential OROY in the NFL this season. Breece Hall and Brock Purdy. If this was a SEC or Big school and coach, they would be all over it. I for one, want to thank CMC.

Last edited:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I wasn't sure what direction this thread was going to take when I opened it, but I did it anyway.

In response to your thought, a rookie getting hurt doesn't generally get a lot of good press. I know us ISU fans realized what could have been, but I'm ok with him being overlooked versus being wrongfully given the "easily injured" title.

• Dumb
  • Agree
Reactions: 83cy and Aclone

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
ISU football has to be as talked about in the national media as I have ever heard in my life right now. Most of it is due to Brock Purdy, but obviously Breece Hall and David Montgomery have helped.

I have a mixed emotion when they talk about Purdy and how he has improved. Seems like more of a compliment to the 9ers coaching staff (likely much deserved) but also maybe a small slight to the coaching he got at Iowa State? I am probably reading way too much into this.....

That being said, glad CMC is at ISU. He and his staff have done wonders....

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
ISU football has to be as talked about in the national media as I have ever heard in my life right now. Most of it is due to Brock Purdy, but obviously Breece Hall and David Montgomery have helped.

I have a mixed emotion when they talk about Purdy and how he has improved. Seems like more of a compliment to the 9ers coaching staff (likely much deserved) but also maybe a small slight to the coaching he got at Iowa State? I am probably reading way too much into this.....

honestly, this hasn't been the impression i've gotten. If anything during the Cowboy game, it almost seemed like they praised Brock's decision to go to Iowa State. Pretty much saying parents send your kids to schools like Iowa State. Where they will get time to develop their game instead of looking over their shoulder each year if they struggle.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
honestly, this hasn't been the impression i've gotten. If anything during the Cowboy game, it almost seemed like they praised Brock's decision to go to Iowa State. Pretty much saying parents send your kids to schools like Iowa State. Where they will get time to develop their game instead of looking over their shoulder each year if they struggle.
Yes I have heard a lot of talk about "go where you can start/play/excel" rather than worry about being on the absolute best team. Playing time is more critical for a qb than any other position I believe.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

I’d say that “improvement” has (far) less to do with the respective coaching staffs than the supporting cast on offense on each team.

ISU didn’t have a corresponding Trent Williams at LT, and the talent of the 49ers receiving corps goes a lot deeper than X and a couple of TE’s.

(I suppose Breece last year and McCaffrey this year are more or less a wash)

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022
Brock Purdy made a great decision to come and play for Campbell.

He also got very lucky to have landed on the 49ers and then have not one but two starting quarterbacks ahead of him go down to injury.

Make no mistake the guy has earned his success, but sometimes things really fall into your lap.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012

He also got very lucky to have landed on the 49ers and then have not one but two starting quarterbacks ahead of him go down to injury.

Make no mistake the guy has earned his success, but sometimes things really fall into your lap.
100% agree. Landing with the 49ers was some serious luck/fate.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

Yes, the 49rs and their coaching staff was the perfect landing spot. I know when you get to the 7th round there is a lot of speculation that maybe it would be better to be an UDFA, but this was great. Plus, don’t forget that SF put him on the active roster. The majority of NFL teams only carry two and stick their third string on practice squad. Brock is in a great spot and may be the named starter going into next year.

Reactions: 0u812 and ISUguy

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022

Sure, Brock’s now going up against NFL defenses, but he’s really benifited from playing with a great oline, receiving core, and backs.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I’m so tired of hearing that. It’s the NFL. Everybody has weapons and good lineman.
Also look at the 4 remaining teams. They probably are 4 of the most talented rosters in the league. Others would maybe be Bills and Chargers but the Chargers are cursed or something lol.

• Agree
Reactions: Marcelason78

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Things have sort of falling Brock's way, there is no doubt about that. Don't forget that the 49ers cut another QB from their roster to keep Purdy, so they had a pretty good idea he was better than they thought after a short period in camp. Honestly, I have been really impressed with some of the throws he has made. He looks like he has a little more zip on the ball than he did at ISU. Most of the media give him very little chance this weekend. We will see.

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
If you don’t keep improving your game, you get passed up and you are done playing. I don’t think Tom Brady was at his best at playing football the day he left Michigan vs. the best year in the pros.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I’m so tired of hearing that. It’s the NFL. Everybody has weapons and good lineman.
I think every team does have weapons. Every team has some good linemen. Most don't have enough good linemen or weapons. The 49ers have a lot of both, but the remain teams do too.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I don't know that he was lucky to end up on the 49ers. John Lynch has said that they were wanting to get him as an UFA, but didn't want to risk him going somewhere else, so they used the pick. There aren't many teams that would take a chance on a QB like that...undersized, below average arm strength. 49ers have the perfect system for his skill set and they likely knew it. Obviously, they didn't think he'd be playing this season, but you knew they really liked him when they let Sudfeld go. And, they didn't bring in a vet when Lance got hurt.