• Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Some industry news regarding Disney:

One industry analyst is estimating that Disney is losing around $30 million per day. Robert Iger has stepped back in as "executive chairman" of Disney to navigate through this time. Disney had to borrow $6 billion back in March.

https://www.mediaite.com/entertainm...es-disney-is-hemorrhaging-30-million-per-day/

Netflix stock is outperforming Disney this quarter, with analysts estimating Netflix gained between 7-8.45 million new subscribers during quarantine.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/netflix-shares-all-time-highs-disney-market-cap-1234581167/

Doesn't surprise me. Them having the parks closed and everything really has to be hitting them hard. That said, Black Widow and especially Mulan will absolutely kill when they open. They'll be just fine.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Hard to believe we are only going to get 1 MCU film this year. Its really starting to eat away at me. Need some MCU fix.
This could be a blessing in disguise. By the time the movie industry gets rolling again, I may actually want to watch a Marvel movie again. They've gotten a bit tiring.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
It was announced on Friday that this years San Diego Comic-Con has been cancelled. I think this is a pretty big blow for Marvel, as SDCC is when they stir up the fans into a frenzy and build up the hype for their next cinematic installments. With the Coronavirus throwing the MCU release schedule out of whack, Marvel Studios will release both The Eternals and Shang-Chi before Comic-Con 2021, which seems really risky for their new and relatively unknown properties.

Back in 2013 (!), Feige brought most of the cast of Guardians 1 on stage to take questions from the audience (minus Vin Diesel and Bradley Cooper as the voice-over roles for Groot and Rocket had not been announced yet). The film came out in August 2014 and crushed expectations.

I think it's likely that Disney-Marvel will hold some type of virtual conference this summer, and hopefully we'll get some more details regarding the other Phase 4 films. The biggest bummer about no SDCC is that Kevin Feige doesn't have the opportunity for the big reveal/tease of a new film in the works, so sorry @Triggermv you will likely need to wait another year until that Fantastic 4 MCU film is announced.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
It was announced on Friday that this years San Diego Comic-Con has been cancelled. I think this is a pretty big blow for Marvel, as SDCC is when they stir up the fans into a frenzy and build up the hype for their next cinematic installments. With the Coronavirus throwing the MCU release schedule out of whack, Marvel Studios will release both The Eternals and Shang-Chi before Comic-Con 2021, which seems really risky for their new and relatively unknown properties.

Back in 2013 (!), Feige brought most of the cast of Guardians 1 on stage to take questions from the audience (minus Vin Diesel and Bradley Cooper as the voice-over roles for Groot and Rocket had not been announced yet). The film came out in August 2014 and crushed expectations.

I think it's likely that Disney-Marvel will hold some type of virtual conference this summer, and hopefully we'll get some more details regarding the other Phase 4 films. The biggest bummer about no SDCC is that Kevin Feige doesn't have the opportunity for the big reveal/tease of a new film in the works, so sorry @Triggermv you will likely need to wait another year until that Fantastic 4 MCU film is announced.

I'm probably less concerned about the impact of SDCC for future Marvel movies myself. Over the past few years, I've been of the opinion as well that SDCC's impact gets less and less every year for these companies. Ultimately, I just don't know that Disney of all companies really even needs SDCC with the current Youtube world as well as their new Disney+ streaming service. Lets not forget that Marvel's probably biggest slate announcement ever back when they laid out Inifinity War and Endgame was NOT at SDCC. If I remember right, they held it at their El Capitan theater in LA and it was just streamed on Youtube. So, if I had to put money on something, my guess is Marvel Studios goes back to the El Capitan theater and streams it on Disney+. Also, I was anticipating announcements this year for Marvel Studios to be on the light side anyway.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
James Gunn is on the record that he will not direct a Guardians of the Galaxy 4.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/guar...-plans-for-a-fourth-movie-after-vol-3-a174682

Not really surprising and I think the trilogy is plenty of time spent on any character(s) in the MCU, although I am excited for Thor 4.

When GotG 3 wraps up, Gunn will finish behind the Russo's for most MCU films made, but will have the distinction of being the first director that has seen an entire franchise through installment 1 through installment 3. Directors Peyton Reed & Marc Webb are on pace to join Gunn with the Ant-Man and Spider-Man franchises.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Venom 2 has been moved to next year: new release date is June 25, 2021.

New title has also been announced:

Venom: Let There Be Carnage
https://deadline.com/2020/04/venom-2-new-release-date-june-2021-1202913952/

I posted this in the DC thread, but this means 2021 is going to packed with comicbook movies:

Marvel: Eternals, Shang-Chi, Dr Strange

Sony: Morbius, Venom, Spider-Man 3

DC: The Batman, The Suicide Squad, Black Adam

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
A leaked Funko! Pop listing seems to indicate that the villains in The Eternals are Kro & Arishem.

I know nothing about The Eternals, but IGN has a decent breakdown of the characters backstory and how they could fit into The Eternals and greater-MCU.

It seems to me that we have already seen Arishem, or a similar being, featured in Guardians of the Galaxy. We caught a glimpse during the Collector describing the birth of the Infinity Stones and the beings that could wield the stones. Here is an image of Arishem from the IGN article.

08-Arishem-02.jpeg

Seems to me that the character draws easy comparisons to Galactus. If you glance through the article there's a blurb about how The Eternals/Celestials tie-in to Mutants (X-Men).

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Sony has announced the third MCU Spider-Man film will have it’s release date pushed back from July 16, 2021 to Nov 5, 2021. This new date was the original release date for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - that film has been moved back to March 25, 2022.

Thor: Love & Thunder will come out Feb 11, 2022. This means that Thor and Doctor Strange have switched places from the original Phase 4 lineup.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/doctor...-love-and-thunder-moves-up-a-week-1202917542/

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Some of the toys and products I worked on for Far From Home, specifically the plush toys in the middle were a big project getting to do the concept from scratch. I'm not sure Mysterio has ever been a plush toy before and the few previous Nick Fury plush toys were pretty bad. These are sold at most Cinemark theaters, some AMC chains, and some smaller theater chains.
sRk7rC2.jpg
Z now loves Mysterio. She introduced him to her class meeting today.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Are y'all having success with kids showing up to her meetings? My parents are teachers and they say less than 5% of their students have reached out.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Are y'all having success with kids showing up to her meetings? My parents are teachers and they say less than 5% of their students have reached out.

I think it's roughly half, but I might be reaching there.
I've seen that half to 3/4 were signing up for the meetings, but I know at least one of the five scheduled for Z's meeting last week didn't make it. I think we can all guess that it's probably happening a lot more than that.

So they're set up this week for no signing up. I think it was over half, but I just click the link and leave Z to her business in her meetings.

So, kind of. I think it's pretty sparse. Response to my e-mails is awfully fast. I think that's a hint, too.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

That's awesome! Love hearing from kids and collectors. Making products of villains is more risky than 'good guys' for sales and we're actually weighing it on a future big superhero movie now.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
That's awesome! Love hearing from kids and collectors. Making products of villains is more risky than 'good guys' for sales and we're actually weighing it on a future big superhero movie now.

That Mysterio one is the coolest one of the bunch shown in the picture no doubt. Are you able to say simply if it is an MCU project you are working on?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/othe...response-to-trolls-world-tour-success-a174944

Not Marvel related, but just movie industry in general related is the battle that has completely blown up between Universal and movie theaters right now. This counter-punch by AMC is quite a big one too.
I was going to start an OT thread about this, but wasn't sure what the reaction would be.

It's a super interesting topic. For those that don't want to read the article, the gist is that the CEO of NBC Universal said that Trolls World Tour did so well as a Video on Demand release that they plan to release Universal Studio pictures in theaters and VOD at the same time.

This obviously would be a huge blow to movie theaters, so AMC announced that they will not show any Universal movies in their theaters, which includes their theaters in US, Europe and Middle East.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I was going to start an OT thread about this, but wasn't sure what the reaction would be.

It's a super interesting topic. For those that don't want to read the article, the gist is that the CEO of NBC Universal said that Trolls World Tour did so well as a Video on Demand release that they plan to release Universal Studio pictures in theaters and VOD at the same time.

This obviously would be a huge blow to movie theaters, so AMC announced that they will not show any Universal movies in their theaters, which includes their theaters in US, Europe and Middle East.

AMC is also the biggest movie theater chain out there, so that would be a tremendous blow back against Universal. Then also at play is AMC's very much still shaky financial situation right now as they teeter on the edge of bankruptcy. There is definitely a lot at play right now in the Movie Theater business.

upload_2020-4-29_9-5-33.png