Marty Tirrell appears to be in financial hot water

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
What is this new ad campaign?

I don't know. I couldn't really understand what the hell they were talking about. For a local sports show host to have no clue who Levi Peters is (I took it he's in the commercial) - really tells one all they need to know. No clue who the guy was and took a few pot shots at his worth as well. I guess that they were upset that the premise of a commercial (apparently for the spring game?) was something about "check out the view" (??) and more about the stadium than the team. Well freaking duh! Nobody comes to the spring games if we were top 25.

Kenny made his usual jabs are CPR. Took exception that somehow he's the face of ISU athletics (probably meant football - well he IS the coach). Said something to the effect of "he's on every poster ISU has".

Well - I'm looking at last season's hanging in my office. Nope. I've seen next sesaon's. Nope. I'm pretty sure in 2012 it was just a picture of the post OSU crowd. So that'd be nope. I don't recall 2013, thinking he was on that one - but it was like 12 guys in a row.

I love how these two get their vendettas rolling and just start talking out every orifice other than their mouth.

Last edited:

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
They were talking about the Levi Peters Cy's House of Trivia video, which wasn't an ad campaign, but a cheesy on purpose video to introduce the movie quotes category on Saturday night.

Are you serious? That rant because of a Cy's House of Trivia vid? What idiots.

They made it sound like a commercial for the spring game.

Edit: Couple other little tidbits from Marty re ISU and that vid.

"I hate bashing ISU, but they put it on a tee" (paraphrase).

"They've hit a new low"

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Marty Tirrell makes 90k a year?

Probably gets some extra money from advertising endorsements he does, heck I have to hear his annoying voice on other stations too when certain ads he does run. If I was a business owner I sure would not want my name tied to a guy that has screwed over so many people and filed for bankruptcy like he has. Add to that his connection with Steve Luebke too and that's all you need to know about the types he associates with. I've only caught a few minutes of their new show here and there when the Cardinals are playing on KXNO and I can't hear the local shows and I usually turn to a music station pretty quickly because it's the same type of shock jock garbage Marty and Ken have done before that I could not stand

CEO

Nov 27, 2009
Des Moines
Marty Tirrell makes 90k a year?

Haha! I thought the same thing. Well, wait a minute. That lawsuit says he owes/stole from that radio company $350,000. The lawsuit was back in 2012/2013. By my math 350k/90k works out until about 2015. Sounds about right actually!

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Probably gets some extra money from advertising endorsements he does, heck I have to hear his annoying voice on other stations too when certain ads he does run. If I was a business owner I sure would not want my name tied to a guy that has screwed over so many people and filed for bankruptcy like he has. Add to that his connection with Steve Luebke too and that's all you need to know about the types he associates with. I've only caught a few minutes of their new show here and there when the Cardinals are playing on KXNO and I can't hear the local shows and I usually turn to a music station pretty quickly because it's the same type of shock jock garbage Marty and Ken have done before that I could not stand

I'll say this, I had to renew my XM earlier this week. They make it a lot harder to play that "I don't really listen to satellite that much, I prefer the local shows for my 15 minute commute" bluff...

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Who the hell pays that clown $90k per year? Why can't I get that kind of money to make crap up on the radio and scam people?

he probably secures his own advertising... and the pays the station a fee for his show. My guess... he either lied about the sales (to the station or advertisers), or his customers (advertisers) are deadbeats.

It allows a radio personality "control" how much money they make.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
If I'm a business owner with advertising on that show, I would cancel my contract ASAP after reading that article.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
If I'm a business owner with advertising on that show, I would cancel my contract ASAP after reading that article.

Sad thing is, this isn't anything new. This is at least his second bankruptcy, isn't it? Maybe third? So that begs the question - why do people continue to give him money?

I don't recall if it was yesterday - but I did catch a bit where Tirrell was ripping/teasing Miller about how he doesn't worry about the show content, book guests, etc... the only thing he cares about is collecting his paycheck.

Well, duh....

Last edited:

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Honestly why does reading this surprise anyone? I'm sure we'll be reading another similar article about him in 3-4 years as he finds new victims or continues to prey on old ones.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Noticed a mention of Mark Graziano in the article. Sad to see that happen to someone who by most other accounts was a good person. I'm not defending his actions, or arguing with his punishment. He made his own bed. No arguing there. But, he and his wife are really, really nice people. ISU fans too.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Noticed a mention of Mark Graziano in the article. Sad to see that happen to someone who by most other accounts was a good person. I'm not defending his actions, or arguing with his punishment. He made his own bed. No arguing there. But, he and his wife are really, really nice people. ISU fans too.

I used to play basketball with Mark, ran into him a lot years back out and about. (Didn't know he was married - or at least pretty sure he wasn't at the time).

Really nice guy, easy going, pretty generous actually. But to be honest, I can't say I was completely shocked.

Until I read this, I thought he was just facing fines and license issues. Didn't know he was facing prison time.

Did it ever come out exactly WHAT happened there. I recall that over a few year a ridiculous amount of OXY or HYDRO were unaccounted for. WAAAY too much for personal use. Did they ever divulge what he did with them?

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Sad thing is, this isn't anything new. This is at least his second bankruptcy, isn't it? Maybe third? So that begs the question - why do people continue to give him money?

I wonder the same thing! You wouldn't give a drug addict more drugs or an alcoholic more booze so why in the hell would anyone do business with him knowing based on his track record there is a good chance that you could get screwed over. His last bankruptcy the debtors he owed only got 13 cents to the dollar in the bankruptcy settlement. I don't know what kind of advertising dollars some of these businesses spend but dang that kind of return could possibly be enough to put someone out of business if you got in too deep with Marty.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I'm in the same boat. My wife had never been to the pharmacy for ice cream, so we stopped in there one day (it's been over 5 years for me).
He easily guessed it was her first time there, so he asked if we wanted to see the ice cream machines, etc. We went on a quick tour and came back out to the counter. He then gave her a free brownie ice cream desert to taste test for the Iowa State Fair.
We had a good time sitting, talking ice cream, the Fair, economics of it all
Super nice guy.
It sounds like he made his own choices that will now cost him prison time.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
he probably secures his own advertising... and the pays the station a fee for his show. My guess... he either lied about the sales (to the station or advertisers), or his customers (advertisers) are deadbeats.

It allows a radio personality "control" how much money they make.

This is the feeling I get from the show, since Marty is the voice of every ad on during the show and the ad breaks are like 30 minutes per hour of show time.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Has the DM Rag covered this, and if they haven't, why haven't they? Maybe it's because Pete is one of their regular guests.

Last edited:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Has the DM Rag covered this, and if they haven't, why haven't they? Maybe it's because Pete is one of there regular guests.

They'll certainly report a college athlete's drunk driving or public intox arrest. But when a grown man continually cheats and lies to people to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars, it goes untouched.

Yeah, that makes sense.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
They'll certainly report a college athlete's drunk driving or public intox arrest. But when a grown man continually cheats and lies to people to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars, it goes untouched.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I don't like Marty either, but ALL media outlets do this. Television, newspaper, radio, etc.