March Madness Conference Bet

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Teams have to be from the lists given, not the conference all around. That said, I think Kansas State is the team most likely to miss. I don't see more than 6 from his list going

So it could be five from your Big 12 & four from his list in Big 10, and that still works? Just whoever gets more correct, not required to get all 7?

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I think eight teams have a chance at this point. I don't think 8 will get in but depending on how conference play goes there are 8 that have shown the potential to be a tourney team.

Assuming no meltdowns locks:
Iowa State, Kansas, Baylor, Oklahoma State

Probably in:
Oklahoma, Texas

Possible with the right breaks:
Kansas State, West Virginia

TCU and Tech aren't there but both have good coaches who will get them there.

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
So my brother (Iowa alum) and I were talking college hoops. He asked how many I thought would make the tournament from the B12. I then said I believed 7 had a good shot. He said no way and suggested "a lot of them" will end up in the NIT. He doesn't think they would take 7 from the same conference. But he was also suggesting the B10 is the best basketball conference still at the moment. So I told him to pick the 7 most likely to make it for the B10. Whoever gets more in gets a free cake from the loser (He won't bet more..). Here is our lists:
Mine:
Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas

His:
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Ohio State
Purdue

He doesn't think Illinois will pull through.

Who wins the bet? Piece of cake betting with B10 fans..

From your list: OSU, ISU, KU, Baylor get in

From his list: Ohio St, Michigan State, Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, and Minnesota get in.

You lose

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Here's what teamrankings.com has for current likelihood of making the tourney:

OSU - 100%
KU - 100%
ISU - 99%
Baylor - 90%
OU - 27%
Texas - 26%
KSU - 15%

W. Virginia - 24%

OSU - 99%
MSU - 97%
Iowa - 94%
Michigan - 77%
Minnesota - 49%
Indiana - 45%
Purdue - 7%

Wisconsin - 99%
Illinois - 36%

Just curious, did he seriously not pick Wisconsin? If so, you have a chance but I still think he is more likely to get more teams.

Bracketology 2014: NCAA Bracket Projections & Projected Brackets

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Just curious, did he seriously not pick Wisconsin? If so, you have a chance but I still think he is more likely to get more teams.

Actually you bring up a good point that I may have to check. He may have picked Wisconsin but all 7 teams were ones he listed. I think he just overlooked them as he and I were going back and forth at the moment and only talked their name but never listed them. Which is also why I listed Kansas State.. Thanks for the statistical references though. I was considering WVU but must have lost my thought.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I say the Squawks get cake-battered with all their derpth-perception this year, go to the NIT and finish second once again.

You win!

But, just in case, nobody says it has to be a good cake.

CAKE.jpg
As seen on Cake Wrecks.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Bump. Sure looks like I could have won a lot of cake... As for the bet, I am thinking he will have to make me a 7 layer cake, 1 for each team with the following words on top, "Big 12: Best Conference in the nation"

Go Big 12 but more importantly Go State!

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
Nicely done on the prediction!

On a side note, here is a nice way to bet conferences in the dance (I did this last year with a Big 10 homer and won, we are rematching again this year):

Pick a conference and you get all the points for the teams in that conference. Points are allocated as follows: 1 point for every game they win OVER their seed. They lose a point for every game UNDER their seed. Each team gets none if they play to their seed. Sounds confusing but it is cake. Example: ISU as a 3 seed should play to the sweet 16 to "play to their seed". If we lose before that, we lose a point for each game under. If we win the sweet 16, we get a point for that game because we were under seeded to the 2-seed, and one point for any game we win after that.

If you pick the big 12 and you buddy picks the big 10, you should be sitting pretty. It is a fun way to have skin in a ton of games and be cheering for all the other big 12 teams. We had a lot of fun with it last year and are going to do it again this year.