Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend = hoax?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Wow, that is pretty damning.

It sure sounds like Te'o was guilty of being a sucker, and nothing more. I'm surprised.

How can people honestly believe this? Doesn't this make Te'o legally ******** if he fell for this for 3 years?

CloneNick

May 16, 2011
Honest question, I have not read through all the pages, has anything come out about who he claimed he was talking to on the phone? All I have heard is that he sat with her on the phone for 8 hours at a time and he would talk a lot on the phone with her. If Ronaiah was behind the hoax, does he have a womanly voice? Honest question because who was Te'o talking to the whole time? Te'o has claimed the whole time he talked to her on the phone, so a woman must also be involved in the hoax as well, or Te'o has been behind it and lying from the start.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I still think he was in on it, it's been a coverup for something from the beginning (like that he is gay), and now they are just paying someone to confess to it.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
If Te'o did actually fall for this and is a victim (I think he was in on it), how in the heck did he get into Notre Dame? He'd have to have an ACT score of about 5 to fall for something like this.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
This one is pretty funny, gotta admit.

MThdn.jpg

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Had Manti not also said prior that he "met" her? And also continued to make comments about losing his GF after "he was made aware it was a hoax". So Manti's defense comes down to, "yes, I am a liar, and I did lie about this, but I did not lie about that"?

That doesn't make it not true or him any less hoaxed. I have lied before but that does not make everything i say a lie. Plus that example is more of a not telling the whole truth than a lie, he met her just not physically. He said she was most the most beautiful girl he had ever met but also qualified that he was not just reffering to physical beauty. He knew how this looked but convinced himself it wasnt how it looked. It happens people do stupid stuff when they think they are in love, totally screwed up. More facts may send me back in the other direction but this is where I am at now.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Honest question, I have not read through all the pages, has anything come out about who he claimed he was talking to on the phone? All I have heard is that he sat with her on the phone for 8 hours at a time and he would talk a lot on the phone with her. If Ronaiah was behind the hoax, does he have a womanly voice? Honest question because who was Te'o talking to the whole time? Te'o has claimed the whole time he talked to her on the phone, so a woman must also be involved in the hoax as well, or Te'o has been behind it and lying from the start.
Ronaihs cousin did the talking on the phone, a legit samoan so seemed pretty real am sure.

Last edited:

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Girlfriend but never saw her lips move. In the age of Skype and Facetime he never laid eyes on her but for a supposed meeting in 2009 from afar. Referred to support her parents got - fake people don't have parents! She visited his home in Hawaii - in spirit I guess! Stayed on the phone for hours while she lay in a hospital bed - her fake parents saying how she responded to his voice. Played at Stanford LAST YEAR after a confirmed date that he said was when they spoke regularly but never thought to see her before - at - or after the game. His girlfriend dies yet he doesn't visit, check into or stay in touch with her family. Duped? Maybe... MAYBE. Perhaps at first. Then ran with it for sake of embarrassment orrrr, he's a media ***** like his parents seem to be. Maybe I'm reaching but haven't Manti and his family been reaching for months now? In my day, having a "girlfriend" as reported and confirmed by Manti, meant seeing them move, talk, walk... He's a liar. Or, he's is the dumbest son of a ***** around. In the end, Deadspin is the most credible news source in our country. So shame on everyone involved. Because in the end it doesn't matter who is telling the truth. Dirty college football and the networks that propagate all the BS. Manti was as close to being the best - Heisman - football player as, well, his girlfriend was to being real.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm guessing he didn't know at first, and since he found out, he was embarrassed and lied. May have embellished the relationship along the way.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
That doesn't make it not true or him any less hoaxed. I have lied before but that does not make everything i say a lie. Plus that example is more of a not telling the whole truth than a lie, he met her just not physically. He said she was most the most beautiful girl he had ever met but also qualified that he was not just reffering to physical beauty. He knew how this looked but convinced himself it wasnt how it looked. It happens people do stupid stuff when they think they are in love, totally screwed up. More facts may send me back in the other direction but this is where I am at now.
He has absolutely lied repeatedly about details in regards to his girlfriend, even after he was made aware it was a hoax. Again, a defense of "I am a liar, and have lied about these aspects of my girlfriend, several times, but I promise you, I am not lying about these other aspects about my relationship" is weak.

In any case, he is not much of a victim when his lies made a hoax out of a hoax.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I think everyone is missing the obvious story behind this. Manti did have a relationship with this girl (no hoax) and she did die of Leukemia. Shortly after dying she arose from her grave, a brain-eating zombie and called Manti in December. Of course after talking about his dead girlfriend on national TV, it's embarrassing to admit she in now undead, so he lies to cover it up. Meanwhile the zombie girl goes into hiding with the rest of the undead in waiting. All of the conflicting media reports are a result of a conspiracy by the Illuminati to cover it up until the undead are prepared for the inevitable zombie apocalypse.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
He has absolutely lied repeatedly about details in regards to his girlfriend, even after he was made aware it was a hoax. Again, a defense of "I am a liar, and have lied about these aspects of my girlfriend, several times, but I promise you, I am not lying about these other aspects about my relationship" is weak.

In any case, he is not much of a victim when his lies made a hoax out of a hoax.
yeah i agree, look at my earlier post. I basically said one thing is clear he is a liar everything else is questionable. Lie, misled whatever you want to call it he did for whatever reason. Weak or not it doesnt make that he was the target of a hoax and not in on it false. You make a good point that it may make him less of a victim because of how he handled it etc. But it also means he is likely not the most ****ed up **** in sports conning us completly for a hiesman. I dont know, i am burned out on this story, i played football with a lot of samoan guys. They were mormon but not the kind of mormons you know, always went to church but lived wild in between. They also have a strong culture of trust amongst samoans (it is not a big population) and this guy and his samoan cousin played on that trust, and he lied because it was embarrassing that he had an internet girlfriend. Would you tell your friends or teammates? So yeah a liar but not a sociopath. I can forgive a liar.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
So.... he believed in someone who wasn't real? Plenty of people do that all the time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron