Malik Monk (friendly reminder that this thread is 2 years old)

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
The NBA will find the talent anywhere so he has to be really pushing the title shot. The shoe deal thing is sketchy but probably allowed unfortunately.

NBA does find talent anywhere, but when you're 18 and have been pumped up as the next big thing, why not go to a school that continually puts players at the top of the draft?

Why be different and go to schools like Iowa St or Arkansas?

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I think he probably did at other places. I don't think he has to, now. He's pitching a dream team of the best talent in the country, and a national title shot ever year. He's pitching a one year NBA primer to these kids. He's pitching the 1st round of the draft. He's pitching the lottery. He's pitching the millions of dollars and shoe contracts that these kids will be getting after a year, and he's got the track record to back it up.

Against teams like ISU that makes sense. But he's regularly recruiting 4 and 5 stars to sit on the bench who have offers to play at the best schools in the country who can sell the same thing he can.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
The NBA will find the talent anywhere so he has to be really pushing the title shot. The shoe deal thing is sketchy but probably allowed unfortunately.

I have to agree with this. His formula is working (come in one year and be featured on ESPN nightly, boost your marketing image and play deep into the tourney). Until it stops working (talented youth being beaten by veterans) you will continue seeing top talent going to the blue bloods.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I guess this is more like Barnes.

At least we sucked when Barnes chose to avoid McDormat. Arkansas is a solid program.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
NBA does find talent anywhere, but when you're 18 and have been pumped up as the next big thing, why not go to a school that continually puts players at the top of the draft?

Why be different and go to schools like Iowa St or Arkansas?

Doesn't Monk's bro work at Ark? That's why this was different.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I don't think Cal has to cheat. I don't think a lot of top coaches actually do cheat.

That doesn't mean someone with interest in the program doesn't do anything without their knowledge. And there have been many coaches who run programs that were very dirty, who never did anything dirty themselves other than not actively police their team and boosters.

I'm pretty sure agents are all over the Kentucky program. They know who's going to go to the NBA and that coming from Kentucky will raise their stock. Cal might not be the one selling those things, but it doesn't mean no one else is.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Believe Monk's team will be going against Jakolby Long's team in the next week or so..

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't think Cal has to cheat. I don't think a lot of top coaches actually do cheat.

That doesn't mean someone with interest in the program doesn't do anything without their knowledge. And there have been many coaches who run programs that were very dirty, who never did anything dirty themselves other than not actively police their team and boosters.

I'm pretty sure agents are all over the Kentucky program. They know who's going to go to the NBA and that coming from Kentucky will raise their stock. Cal might not be the one selling those things, but it doesn't mean no one else is.

This. There was an article written some time back called "the Bagman" or something like that, and it detailed how recruiting goes down in big time college sports. Anything nefarious is done without the coach's knowledge. Boosters find out which recruits the staff is going after, and then just make it happen. The whole thing is done so that everyone in the athletic department has plausible deniability.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
This. There was an article written some time back called "the Bagman" or something like that, and it detailed how recruiting goes down in big time college sports. Anything nefarious is done without the coach's knowledge. Boosters find out which recruits the staff is going after, and then just make it happen. The whole thing is done so that everyone in the athletic department has plausible deniability.
This is what I've heard as well. For instance, Andrew Wiggins got about $225,000 under the table for going to KU. It's all about the boosters and little about the coaches themselves.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Weren't we in the running for this kid at one point? Where's all the "elbows too pointy/we didn't want him anyway" posts?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Weren't we in the running for this kid at one point? Where's all the "elbows too pointy/we didn't want him anyway" posts?

We knew we weren't getting him a long time ago. Monk never remotely did anything to **** off ISU fans so there's no reason to act like we didn't want him.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Yep, there are a LOT of people who are very interested in elite programs staying elite.

While coaches are like this:

latest

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It all reminds me of the movie Blue Chips. Everyone who loves college basketball should really watch it.

Except Coach Bell and Happy did it wrong. Everything should just go on behind the scenes. Then you can be like Gene Chizik and honestly have no idea how much money Cam Newtons dad got from Auburn boosters.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Here's the article I'm talking about.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview