Makes you want to eat at home...

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I wonder if the worker shortage leaves some of these places not able to get to some of these task?
I'm sure that comes into play at times, but based on my past experiences as a supplier for restaurants, most places will cut about any corner they can get away with, as long as it saves them a buck.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
It's probably safe to assume that anything involving inspection is not being done by this government.

Reactions: wxman1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We basically only eat in restaurants when traveling out of necessity. I had too many waitressing jobs working to pay for college to have much trust in the process. Even when traveling, no soup, chili, or salad bar. Seen too much.
They called it “waitresses” back in your day. Not judging, ladies gotta pay for college. ;).

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The latest update...enjoy. Even Jack Trice Stadium made the list.

Oct. 31 was a Monday this year. No home football game on any Monday. If you (writer/editor) want to make a point, use facts, please.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Granted it's frozen stuff from Costco, but a panfried skinless chicken breast tender and 1/2 lb organic veggies costs me between $2-3/meal if that and that's after the veggies have gone up in price. Just olive oil and seasoning.

Been doing that or similar (fish may add $1-2) for years.

For other meals, eggs/oatmeal/bananas etc. are all still way cheaper and less time consuming than going out.

Consumerism trained us to make meals complicated or 'fun' and it doesn't have to be that way.
Agree. When gf cooks at home, she makes some fantastic stuff and its always half or less what it would be at a restaraunt. People see 9.99/lb for a nice piece of meat and freak, but $30 of groceries feeds us real well for 2 or 3 meals w leftovers.

Plus drinks! Ice tea is 20 cents instead of 2.99 and a beer is a buck instead of 5.99. Thats where they git ya'!

Reactions: cstrunk

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I wonder if the worker shortage leaves some of these places not able to get to some of these task?

In one of the cases (a Hy-Vee, I think), the employee on duty told the inspector he didn't know how to use the PH meter, wasn't trained in storage and temp safety, and his training consisted of an essentially on-the-job verbal comments only.

I'm guessing turnover is so high that it's the blind leading the blind - moving employees through like cattle.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Seems a lot of them are missing a certified food safety manager evidently they need to send someone to a class for that.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Oct. 31 was a Monday this year. No home football game on any Monday. If you (writer/editor) want to make a point, use facts, please.
I understand the information used in the article linked was gleaned from a state report. Feel free to eat wherever you choose. You can go to the actual state inspection report for more detail.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I understand the information used in the article linked was gleaned from a state report. Feel free to eat wherever you choose. You can go to the actual state inspection report for more detail.
Yes, and this was in a paragraph written by the reporter:
“Listed below are some of the more serious findings that stem from inspections at Iowa restaurants, stores, schools, hospitals and other businesses over the past four weeks.”
My statement stands.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
“Listed below are some of the more serious findings that stem from inspections at Iowa restaurants, stores, schools, hospitals and other businesses over the past four weeks.”
My statement stands.

Ya kinda but you are focusing on the date.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
My statement stands.
Enjoy your walking taco.

• Haha
Reactions: 3TrueFans

Spam

May 21, 2008
I worked at maybe 5 restaurants between the ages 16 and 22. All 5 did things that were absolutely disgusting. Even the ones getting perfect scores on inspections.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I worked at maybe 5 restaurants between the ages 16 and 22. All 5 did things that were absolutely disgusting. Even the ones getting perfect scores on inspections.
Yeah, be sure not to piss off the restaurant staff until AFTER your food has been served. :)

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
My father owned a small town restaurant while growing up. I practically ran the place during some of my teenage years. I can assure you I had zero training, nor did any of the staff, on food safety. We never got dinged by the inspectors though I'm certain we didn't do things 'by the book'. Granted, this was back in the 80's.

To this day, I do most of the cooking at home and am not a real stickler for food safety details. I can assure you that if you're eating at my house, I did not wear gloves or sanitize every dish.

Not saying it's right or that you should not expect more from a 'professional' establishment. I'm just 'saying' is all...

Mar 21, 2021
Never know what is in restaurant food. On Florida vacay as a kid, we were eating at a Lum's, I received coleslaw in a bowl, put my fork in, hit something hard, pulled it out, and told my kid sis, look, its a diamond ring! Instantly, this waitress sitting nearby tallying tickets, jumps up and claims it, says she'd lost it making coleslaw that morn! Easy come, easy go.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I worked at a McDs for a short time during college. Honestly it was pretty decently kept. Not much that I would say was bad, except the lazy worker who would eat chicken nuggets out of the scrap out container. Moron could have just ate them as he threw them but that required work and thought. Everything was pretty much up and up.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Worked at concessions at the Kernels stadium in college. We always knew when the inspectors were coming so part of shifts leading up to it was spent cleaning up stuff. It was never messy or anything that you see on these things but there is always something to be checked.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I’ve worked in a few restaurants and never saw anything too crazy. Most of the dings from the inspector were always date labeling. Which unfortunately is easy to skip during a rush and you run out of something. Doesn’t mean it was actually out of date, it was just quickly refilled and get back to cooking then forgot to go back and label when it slowed down.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Agree. When gf cooks at home, she makes some fantastic stuff and its always half or less what it would be at a restaraunt. People see 9.99/lb for a nice piece of meat and freak, but $30 of groceries feeds us real well for 2 or 3 meals w leftovers.

Plus drinks! Ice tea is 20 cents instead of 2.99 and a beer is a buck instead of 5.99. Thats where they git ya'!
Now imagine being single and cooking that food to feed one person. Twice as many meals, even if the tradeoff is occasional depression from always cooking for one.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron