Makes you want to eat at home...

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Partially true, but I'll highlight below the actual change and you tell me how you would feel about eating there.

Currently, there are five levels of food safety risk, from very low to very high. The change in inspections will occur in the low-level category. One example would be a bar where frozen pizza is served to patrons. None of the other categories where food is prepared in a kitchen will see a change in inspections.

Risk Level 2 (low risk): Inspected every five years, although inspectors can increase the number of visits if deemed necessary. These are sandwich shops that don’t cook, snack bars, convenience stores and pizzerias that use pre-cooked ingredients. Examples: Subway, Costco, Cinnabon, Dunkin’ Donuts, Domino’s, Firehoude Subs, Five Guys, Jimmy John’s and Papa Murphy’s.

I don't know about you, but I've seen some sub places. 5 years is a long time to not have food storage checked.
I would especially worry about sandwich shops on the food still in the case at end of business and how long it is kept

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Granted it's frozen stuff from Costco, but a panfried skinless chicken breast tender and 1/2 lb organic veggies costs me between $2-3/meal if that and that's after the veggies have gone up in price. Just olive oil and seasoning.

Been doing that or similar (fish may add $1-2) for years.

For other meals, eggs/oatmeal/bananas etc. are all still way cheaper and less time consuming than going out.

Consumerism trained us to make meals complicated or 'fun' and it doesn't have to be that way.
Of course it doesn't, but I'm a damn good cook and I don't want all the preservatives that come in frozen foods. Like I said fresh and healthy ain't cheap.

Reactions: khardbored

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
When you really want to experience authentic third-world cuisines and their lack of food safety without having to travel there.

But I could say the same thing about places like Jethro’s.

GMackey32

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I worked as a buyer for 3.5 years for a food distribution company that mainly served Iowa's small town restaurants/bars/etc. Let me tell you, after dealing with some of these places, seeing how they think, and how they run their places, I really don't go out to eat anymore.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Of course it doesn't, but I'm a damn good cook and I don't want all the preservatives that come in frozen foods. Like I said fresh and healthy ain't cheap.

Even if I get the same foods unfrozen, it's still way cheaper than eating out.

By a long shot actually.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
This is the worst event I remember

Claim Jumper Restaurants has settled a lawsuit filed by an Orange County, Calif., man who said he found a used condom in his French onion soup.

According to the lawsuit, Hodousek said he found what initially appeared to be a rubbery lump of cheese that he couldn’t chew, which later turned out to be a condom.
ace_ventura_barf-250x200.gif

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I remember being in NOLA when the paper published a list of health code violations and 3 of the places in our lunch spot rotation were on the list. Trimmed our options down for a while.

Granted, does anyone really expect a low cost asian buffet to not have health code violations?

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Definitely not searching the places I love. But will be happy to look up places I don't like.
Some of the violations can be benign, such as improperly labeling a spray bottle. Although, others can get pretty gnarly. Having done about a decade in restaurants and food service when I was growing up, I've seen my share of both petty and legit needs to be addressed. Thankfully none of the absolute horror stories though.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I live in charlotte now and they make restaurants put their score out of 100 by their door or some where prominent. Walked into a restaurant by my work saw a 70 and walked out.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We dont go out much besides El Ateca. I can make a better burger, chicken, steak, ribs, and fish at my house.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
As someone in the financial industry who has to be audited multiple times every year it is shocking to me these businesses can go years with no inspection.
I don't think there is funding for more inspectors.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I wonder if the worker shortage leaves some of these places not able to get to some of these task?

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Uh, typically frozen foods don't contain preservatives. Freezing is the preservative.
It depends on whether or not you're freezing *fresh* unprocessed foods or frozen stuff you're buying from the store that has been handled in some way other than just packaging. Processed frozen food is LOADED with preservatives. The less processed food we eat, the better off we are.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron