Luke Anderson and Marcedus Leech have entered the transfer portal

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Yeah, I know, not the first time I have expressed this notion.

I just find it odd the "concerned" crowd disagrees on what to be concerned about. :p

Usually there is some sort of consensus about why it is not working. Not here.

Fair enough. I realize I can be extremely negative at times, but just for the record I dont hate Prohm. He's doing an amazing job as a recruiter at the high school level and his last few transfers have been alot better in a much tougher transfer market than Fred had to deal with.

I guess alot of the issues I have with him is I feel he's pulling in top talent, but isnt coaching them up to their full potential. Another thing that really bothers me is the roster turnover. I thought guys like Lindell, Lard, THT would be the faces of the program that we could watch develop for 4 years like Niang, Monte, etc. Since he's taken over we really havent had a true face of the program like we did with those guys, guys who you know want to be here and will be here for 4 years. Maybe Haliburton can turn into that guy that can put his stamp on the program.

I also think his in-game coaching leaves something to be desired. I wont get into specifics as Im sure thats been discussed. The way he handled playing time last year really rubbed me the wrong way, as I think a few of the players got a raw deal while some other guys could do everything wrong on the court and there were no repercussions.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If you are bringing up Hans Brase, then you also have to mention his transfer hits. Marial Shayok, and potentially Nixon and Bolton as well.

Brase never was fully recovered from his knee problems while at ISU. If I'm not mistaken he is over in Europe playing ball, so maybe he wasn't as bad as some say. Injured yes bad maybe not.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Brase never was fully recovered from his knee problems while at ISU. If I'm not mistaken he is over in Europe playing ball, so maybe he wasn't as bad as some say. Injured yes bad maybe not.

A healthy Brase would have been a really nice piece for any ISU team.

He was just not even close to healthy while in Ames.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Prohm's list is not exactly bad, especially if you leave off Brase and Beverly as desperation plays in an offseason where everything went wrong.

STARS:
Marial Shayok

GOOD PLAYERS:
Nick Weiler-Babb
Michael Jacobson
Donovan Jackson (and going to count a JUCO here)

OKAY PLAYERS:
Darrel Bowie
Zoran Talley

BUSTS:
Merrill Holden
Ray Kasongo
Jeff Beverly
Hans Brase

...still have to fit Nixon, Johnson, and Bolton up there somehow, too. I bet Nixon is going to be a "good" one and Bolton good to start and higher later.

Counting NWB, when he transferred before Prohm was even hired is a big stretch. That wasn't Prohm's recruiting prowess it was the previous staff as well as the obvious family connection to ISU. You can give him credit for developing NWB but not towards his skill for recruiting transfers or spotting the most talented ones.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
giphy.gif

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
NWB was recruited and committed before Prohm came on board. Technically he’s a Hoiberg recruit, though really I think he was a TJ Ott recruit since Hoiberg was almost out the door to the bulls.

Counting NWB, when he transferred before Prohm was even hired is a big stretch. That wasn't Prohm's recruiting prowess it was the previous staff as well as the obvious family connection to ISU. You can give him credit for developing NWB but not towards his skill for recruiting transfers or spotting the most talented ones.

I agree that Nick's situation is ambiguous because he came into the program essentially between regimes and had a legacy connection that landed him in our lap.

But Prohm was his coach for four years. Hoiberg was never Nick's coach -- not for one game, not for one practice. Come on, you gotta bend here. Give Prohm a little credit for taking a guy who was a non-factor at Arkansas and making him into an above-average Big 12 point guard who is one of our most underrated players of the past decade.

cat named georges

Apr 16, 2017
Okay, so if coaches don't always hit on every recruit, should they just let them ride the pine for 4 years, or would it be in the players' best interest if the head coach told them upfront that he wasn't sure there would be much playing time for them here, and it might be in their best interest to look at other options if that is what they wanted?
No, Prohm should have waited until finals week. Wait...who would do something like that?

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I wish those two young men well.

But yeah, we had not heard anything about those two making meaningful contributions, either this year or going forward for the next four years.

Sometimes it is best that we all move on.

Sounds like Jackson and Grill are hanging, at least one of them will be in the rotation, and they both have potential as shooters. Grill, despite being a white boy from Kansas, is something of an athlete/upside play anyways.

I am excited to see what the staff does with the open scholarships now!

The key as to whether Leach and Anderson leaving is a bad thing is the success of Jackson and Grill. If they are duds and one is not a stud no amount of "next year studs" will erase that this was a bad recruiting year.

Maybe Anderson and/or Leach would not have played significant minutes this year but neither did Zion last year and this year Zion is being touted for his dramatic improvement. I am not a Prohm hater or Prohm apologist but we need cannot lose half a class every year and compete for Big 12 championships. We are not enough of a program that we can pluck another four or five star recruit when a guy leaves. We need more guys that enjoy being in college on par with their basketball skills (i.e. Matt Thomas, Niang). We must do better with this next class.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Hoiberg had better transfers and its not even debatable.

I would agree...HOWEVER, you need to consider the fact that the transfer market is exponentially more competitive today than it was with Hoiberg. He essentially created the system in place today. There were not many if any P5 coaches out there building teams like he was. After his successful run, it really opened the door for transfers and other teams started recruiting those kids more.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Fair enough. I realize I can be extremely negative at times, but just for the record I dont hate Prohm. He's doing an amazing job as a recruiter at the high school level and his last few transfers have been alot better in a much tougher transfer market than Fred had to deal with.

I guess alot of the issues I have with him is I feel he's pulling in top talent, but isnt coaching them up to their full potential. Another thing that really bothers me is the roster turnover. I thought guys like Lindell, Lard, THT would be the faces of the program that we could watch develop for 4 years like Niang, Monte, etc. Since he's taken over we really havent had a true face of the program like we did with those guys, guys who you know want to be here and will be here for 4 years. Maybe Haliburton can turn into that guy that can put his stamp on the program.

I also think his in-game coaching leaves something to be desired. I wont get into specifics as Im sure thats been discussed. The way he handled playing time last year really rubbed me the wrong way, as I think a few of the players got a raw deal while some other guys could do everything wrong on the court and there were no repercussions.

What do you want, top talent or 4 year guys?

Top talent guys are going to leave after 1 or 2 years.

It's guys like Niang (not top talent out of HS) who stay 4 years.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011

You can't have it both ways in today's basketball landscape as a P6 School. You either get the highly touted players who will be gone in 1 or 2 years, or you get the mid tier 3 Star guys who everyone hates because they are not ranked as high.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
What do you want, top talent or 4 year guys?

Top talent guys are going to leave after 1 or 2 years.

It's guys like Niang (not top talent out of HS) who stay 4 years.

Niang is a horrible example to try to prove your point, he was a 4-star, ranked 71st in his class, and the 5th best recruit for in Iowa State history, far from "not top talent". Thomas and Monte had similar profiles so it wouldnt be a good idea to use them either.

Naz might fit into your criteria of guys who stay 4 years, but he was the 317th ranked player in his class. If Prohm starts building a program around guys ranked that low this program will be in deep trouble trying to compete in the Big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: dmh

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm in the boat that:
a) Prohm let these guys know their services were no longer needed (the fact both are announced at the same time)
b) There are a couple of better guys lined up and we will hear more about that after the dust clears

If that's true, then this is a good thing for our future. Total conjecture.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron