Luke Anderson and Marcedus Leech have entered the transfer portal

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
So you doubt Prohm's ability to recruit? I'm trying to understand what you're saying here?

Both of those points are clear and straightforward. All my responses have been. Why do you keep making up arguments instead of responding to the statements in my posts?

• Funny
Reactions: clonedude

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Monday, 11/4, it's early. Leech/Anderson meet with Coach Prohm in his office: L/A: Coach, are the playing minutes per game this year for us as shown in the Sunday Register correct?

Coach Prohm: Ummm . . . . what were those minutes?

L/A: Zero.

Coach Prohm: Yes, . . . . within a couple minutes.

L/A: Coach, please help us find other schools.

Coach Prohm: Well, uhhhh, . . . OK, let's get started.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
This is wilfully overlooking a bunch of information or complete ignorance.

I'm not going to outline my point again, but this staff is missing badly on too many people. That's the jist. Of course there are outliers. There always are in any system.

I generally agree with you on most things, but you cant overlook the fact Hoiberg had alot of busts as well. It happens.

Reactions: Doc

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Marcedus was always going to be a risk. When Luke committed we had Wigginton, Lard, Jacobsen, THT, Haliburton, Conditt, Young, Griffin, Nixon and Lewis all with years of eligibility left. He always felt like a recruit that was meant to fill out the team rather than be a star.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The post of yours has absolutely zero facts. You said Hoiberg brought in high level transfers while Prohm hasn’t which is probably actually more false looking at the transfers previous schools. Hoiberg never brought in a starter from Virginia or any school even close to that prestige. You’re “fact based opinions” don’t have facts to back them up. Season starts tomorrow Carl Malone and it’s feels a lot better being excited than being a piss ball about it. Go Clones!

Hoiberg had better transfers and its not even debatable.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
SIAP: **** yes we are a player for Jalen Terry.

Shooting the moon option here, if Jalen Terry is the kind of talent we would expect to be one/two-and-done, is it possible Terry can reclassify to 2019 and joins us at semester for 1.5yrs of Prohmball? :cool:

And yes, I’m (mostly) sober.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
One thing about posting CCL highlights over the years is a lot of the players reach out to me for their highlights and I get to know a little bit about them so when they leave, it’s a little bit sad. Leech was always super nice. He always made sure to say thanks for the videos so I’m a little Sad to see him go this early. I don’t see what goes on within the program so I don’t know how he was doing but I was always intrigued about his potential. He looked so dynamic on offense in the CCL. Yes it was the CCL but he knocked down shots and looked extremely quick. I wish him nothing but the best at his next school. I hope he goes and kills it.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hoiberg had better transfers and its not even debatable.

Prohm's list is not exactly bad, especially if you leave off Brase and Beverly as desperation plays in an offseason where everything went wrong.

STARS:
Marial Shayok

GOOD PLAYERS:
Nick Weiler-Babb
Michael Jacobson
Donovan Jackson (and going to count a JUCO here)

OKAY PLAYERS:
Darrel Bowie
Zoran Talley

BUSTS:
Merrill Holden
Ray Kasongo
Jeff Beverly
Hans Brase

...still have to fit Nixon, Johnson, and Bolton up there somehow, too. I bet Nixon is going to be a "good" one and Bolton good to start and higher later.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Prohm's list is not exactly bad, especially if you leave off Brase and Beverly as desperation plays in an offseason where everything went wrong.

STARS:
Marial Shayok

GOOD PLAYERS:
Nick Weiler-Babb
Michael Jacobson
Donovan Jackson (and going to count a JUCO here)

OKAY PLAYERS:
Darrel Bowie
Zoran Talley

BUSTS:
Merrill Holden
Ray Kasongo
Jeff Beverly
Hans Brase

...still have to fit Nixon, Johnson, and Bolton up there somehow, too. I bet Nixon is going to be a "good" one and Bolton good to start and higher later.

Shayok is the only one even close to the level of Royce, Kane, or Clyburn. If you make a list of the top 10 transfers Hoiberg would have 7 of them and Prohm would have 3. Im not saying his transfer recruiting is terrible, but it isnt on the same level as Hoiberg.

Shayok and Jacobson have closed the gap somewhat, buts its still a significant difference. Prohms high school recruiting is better so it evens out anyways. Ive never had any hard feelings towards Prohm and his recruiting, its his in-game coaching and roster management that really irks me.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones423 and dmh

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Shayok is the only one even close to the level of Royce, Kane, or Clyburn. If you make a list of the top 10 transfers Hoiberg would have 7 of them and Prohm would have 3. Im not saying his transfer recruiting is terrible, but it isnt on the same level as Hoiberg.

Shayok and Jacobson have closed the gap somewhat, buts its still a significant difference. Prohms high school recruiting is better so it evens out anyways. Ive never had any hard feelings towards Prohm and his recruiting, its his in-game coaching and roster management that really irks me.

Funny how we have two arguments on here -- your faction being Prohm is a bad game manager while @Malone saying he cannot recruit. For the record, if I had to pick, I come down more on your side that the issue is the coaching less the talent.

I think Nick Weiler-Babb might push for your Top 10 list. The kid is underrated. But I accept your general point that Hoiberg was better at transfer recruiting. Your list might need some revisions depending on how Nixon and Bolton end up playing, as well.

I think you have to knock some points off for BDJ, too. The guy took a season down with him. He could be just about the best and obviously the worst when he wanted to. Thanks for acknowledging that Shayok ranks among the greater transfers we have ever had, too.

Fred had the advantage of being the first guy to really make it a cornerstone of his team-building, and now everybody and their brother does it, and he was not as good of a recruiter of high school/prep talent, but it washes out on overall talent.

I have never really cared how talent comes to Ames. I care that it does. Trying to recreate a specific formula for success in every single way forever is a plan for disaster in a world that is always changing so much. As long as Prohm brings in the ponies, however he finds them, then I do not really care how he does it, transfers or not.

My own life influences this thinking -- my boss has always told me that he cares that I am selling way more than how I am doing it, assuming I am staying within the bounds of policy and the law. Recruiting is the exact same idea.

Reactions: NoCreativity

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Time will tell on Bolton. He shot under 40% last year right along with Nixon. Idk how that's not a scarier prospect to more people here.

who is your actual team? You are most definitely not a cyclone fan

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Funny how we have two arguments on here -- your faction being Prohm is a bad game manager while @Malone saying he cannot recruit. For the record, if I had to pick, I come down more on your side that the issue is the coaching less the talent.

I think Nick Weiler-Babb might push for your Top 10 list. The kid is seriously underrated. But I accept your general point that Hoiberg was better at transfer recruiting. Your list might need some revisions depending on how Nixon and Bolton end up playing, as well.

He had the advantage of being the first guy to really make it a cornerstone of his team-building, and now everybody and their brother does it, and he was not as good of a recruiter of high school/prep talent, but it washes out on overall talent.

I have never really cared how talent comes to Ames. I care that it does. Trying to recreate a specific formula for success in every single way forever is a plan for disaster in a world that is always changing so much. As long as Prohm brings in the ponies, however he finds them, then I do not really care how he does it, transfers or not.

My own life influences this thinking -- my boss has always told me that he cares that I am selling way more than how I am doing it, assuming I am staying within the bounds of policy and the law. Recruiting is the exact same idea.

Lol, you just posted this the other night. Im not Malone!!! We both have concerns about Prohm as a coach, we just have different views on what exactly he could be doing better.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lol, you just posted this the other night. Im not Malone!!! We both have concerns about Prohm as a coach, we just have different views on what exactly he could be doing better.

Yeah, I know, not the first time I have expressed this notion.

I just find it odd the "concerned" crowd disagrees on what to be concerned about. :p

Usually there is some sort of consensus about why it is not working. Not here.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I think Nick Weiler-Babb might push for your Top 10 list. The kid is seriously underrated. But I accept your general point that Hoiberg was better at transfer recruiting.

I said Prohm would have 3 on the list, those 3 I would put on it are Shayok, NWB, and Jacobson.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron