Looking ahead to next year

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
What weights graduate a lot of seniors and what studs are coming off redshirts
125 - Cruz, Nato, Bresser and Welch are seniors (Picc is back for Ok St so, Fix will be included at 133)

133 - Forys, Naser, and Gustafson are seniors (Brock is back for Ok St & Gomez is off redshirt for us)

141 - Meredith, Heil, Jack, Smith are seniors (With Heil graduating Brock moves up and Fix at 133)

149 - Zain, Sorensen, Heilmann, Tsirtsis, McCrystal, Perry, Deluca are seniors (Iowa has Lugo coming off redshirt)

157 - Lavallee, Ream, Colgan, Zilverberg, Crone, Short, Scheidel, Heffernan, Hammond are seniors

165 - IMar, Walsh, Lewis, Wanzek, Schleifer are seniors (Streirt comes of redshirt for UNI)

174 - Jordan, Bernstein, Subjeck, Kocer, Mejias, Brucki, Ramos, Przybysz are seniors (Coleman coming off Redshirt for us)

184 - Abounader, Renda, Robertson, Carr, Gravina, Coleman, Schneider, Ellingwood are seniors

197 - Haught, Micklus, Macchiavello, Rotert, Mattiace, Williams, Chaid, Beazley, Smith, Kasunic are seniors

Hwt - Snyder, Coon Kasper, Dhesi, Butler, Hughes, Boykin and Ryan are seniors

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Coming off Redshirt
125 - Fix & Courtney of ASU are probably the biggest 2.
133 - Phillippi of Pitt and Gomez are probably 2 biggest
141 - Ashnault (6th year) Rutgers, GFeller of Ok State, Storr
149 - Lugo of Iowa, O'Connor of UNC, Verkleeren of PSU
157 - Berge of PSU but not sure there is any room at PSU
165 - Allar of Minn (but didn't wrestle much this year), Steiert of UNI, Smith of Ok St & Lewis of VT
174 - Labriola of Neb
184 - Reenen of NC St, Geer of Edinboro, Bonaccorsi of Pitt, Embree of Michigan
197 - Warner of Iowa, Borst of VT, Whatever Cassar of PSU does with Rasheed there also
Hwt - Singletary of Ohio St, Hillger of Wisc

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I have heard Thorn will move up to 149 or 157. Bleise & Short both graduate for Minnesota

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Nice posts Buf! I think we will have a much better dual team next year. Hopefully some progress well in year two of the program. Definitely have some weights that are losing a lot on the national and conference scale and hopefully some of our guys can step up.

PS: I think we will be adding some transfers this spring and summer to help fill out the lineup and add some depth and bridge some weights

NYWRESTLER94

Oct 14, 2015
It would be weird to see Thorn go up to 149 I thought Minny would just redshirt the older McKee and move Lizak up to 133 giving Thorn a chance to finish out

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
It would be weird to see Thorn go up to 149 I thought Minny would just redshirt the older McKee and move Lizak up to 133 giving Thorn a chance to finish out

Thorn's struggles this year are due to the weight cut, I am pretty sure. I think he would be 149 this year if Bleise didn't come in.

• Informative
Reactions: NYWRESTLER94

83cy

May 14, 2006
Is there a thread detailing who the recruits coming in are and what ISU's lineup might look like next year?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Is there a thread detailing who the recruits coming in are and what ISU's lineup might look like next year?

Scattered around there are.

If I had to guess for next year
125 - Mackall (transfer from Rutgers)
133 - Gomez (redshirt freshman), Simmons as backup
141 - Parker (redshirt Sophomore), Simmons as backup
149 - Degen (Redshirt Sophomore), Leisure as backup
157 - Straw (Redshirt Junior) David Carr, true frosh & redshirts
165 - St John, Breitenbach (both seniors) and Jennings (Redshirt Soph???)
174 - Coleman (Redshirt Freshman)
184 - Danny Bush (redshirt Senior) Shapiro and Sherry (true freshman & redshirt)
197 - Colbray (Redshirt Soph) Teague backup
Hwt - Harrington (Redshirt Senior), Gremmel (Redshirt Soph), Duggan (freshman & redshirts)

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Buf nailed the lineup IMO

David Carr (#1 152lb and #4 overall) and Joel Shapiro (#3 182lb) are the two blue chip recruits
Tyler Buesgens, Hunter DeJong, Isaac Judge, Francis Duggan, Anthony Sherry and Grant Stotts round out the rest of the class

We are still in on a couple kids who could be added to this class. Also, don't be surprised to see 2-3 transfers in this spring and summer.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

David Carr (#1 152lb and #4 overall) and Joel Shapiro (#3 182lb) are the two blue chip recruits
Tyler Buesgens, Hunter DeJong, Isaac Judge, Francis Duggan, Anthony Sherry and Grant Stotts round out the rest of the class

We are still in on a couple kids who could be added to this class. Also, don't be surprised to see 2-3 transfers in this spring and summer.

Any idea if there are specific transfers they are looking at, or are you just assuming they'll be looking for transfers at certain weights?

Just wondering, because I agree, they should at least be on the lookout for transfers, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some transfers added, I just don't have any inside information.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Also, a question for everyone, does anyone know which high school seniors we are going after right now? I'd heard Frankie Gissendanner's name thrown around here a few times, but haven't seen any articles or anything linking us to him.

Other than that, it's already a decent sized class, but I assume the Storr, Vega, and DiBlasi transfers open up more money than they were planning on having, so adding another kid or two could certainly be in the cards.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Also, a question for everyone, does anyone know which high school seniors we are going after right now? I'd heard Frankie Gissendanner's name thrown around here a few times, but haven't seen any articles or anything linking us to him.

Other than that, it's already a decent sized class, but I assume the Storr, Vega, and DiBlasi transfers open up more money than they were planning on having, so adding another kid or two could certainly be in the cards.

I have heard Gissendanner & Cashman name, but haven't heard if the coaches are actively pursuing them. At one time, I think we were after Cashman, but that might have been before Mackall transferred in. We still need depth at 125 though.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Any idea if there are specific transfers they are looking at, or are you just assuming they'll be looking for transfers at certain weights?

Just wondering, because I agree, they should at least be on the lookout for transfers, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some transfers added, I just don't have any inside information.

I have not heard any names or rumors of transfers, so I am not sure. I am sure if they can upgrade any weight, they will take a hard look at any transfer

csteve

Feb 11, 2011

We better get additional seniors or recruits. If not, I will be slightly unimpressed. Carr should certainly do very well and I am ecstatic to have him aboard. I think Shapiro should do pretty good, too. In my opinion, the only other one that has shown he could have a decent D1 career is Duggan.

As week of a lineup as we have right now, I would like to see 3-4 rock solid starters recruited per year. I don't think this class is quite there. Add a recruit like Cashman and I would feel a lot better about it!

• Winner
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
We better get additional seniors or recruits. If not, I will be slightly unimpressed. Carr should certainly do very well and I am ecstatic to have him aboard. I think Shapiro should do pretty good, too. In my opinion, the only other one that has shown he could have a decent D1 career is Duggan.

As week of a lineup as we have right now, I would like to see 3-4 rock solid starters recruited per year. I don't think this class is quite there. Add a recruit like Cashman and I would feel a lot better about it!

Only seniors shown not committed on Flo 100 seniors are
51 SR. Aaron Cashman OTC MN 125
56 SR. Frankie Gissendanner Penfield NY 157
77 SR. Trevor Lawson Olentangy Lib. OH 184
91 SR. Joel Romero Buchanan CA 165
95 SR. Kevon Freeman Lake Catholic OH 157

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron