Look Who’s Complaining About B1G Scheduling Now ...

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Morehouse doesn’t realize his hawks are a pipsqueak in the eyes of the big boys of the b1g. If he doesn’t like their schedule now, just wait until OSU, Michigan, PSU, MSU, and Wisky are influencing the schedule makers of the conference.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I firmly believe "IF" there is another round of expansions in any conference, including the Big XII, it will be to get to 20 teams. I think if the Big XII expands it will be some form of merger or take over of the PAC12 to get to that magic number.

Reason being it allows a mega conference with 2 divisions that can each be set up like the Big XII is now. With the champion of each Mega Division going to a conference championship.

This would allow a major conference with a HUGE conference Championship. Think of a conference championship that is actually between the Big XII and the PAC 12, in say Vegas at the new Stadium they are building. That would be a HUGE draw.
And if all the conferences went to that it would make for some huge games.
There is also a chance conferences go to the Big XII model by actually reducing teams too. Or nothing could happen too.

This could happen, but it would need the playoff to go to 8 teams, and the conferences to take football back from under the NCAA. It could happen - money could drive both those things.

The P5 could "rationalize" into 8 divisions of 9 teams each (adding a few G5 and ND I suppose), and conferences would be OK swapping a few teams on geography (say ISU or Mizzzou to the B1G) since it was all consensual. You'd play your 8 division opponents, some non-cons, and then the 8 division winners are your CFP. The B1G, SEC, ACC could still exist with 2 divisions each, the PAC and Big12 would prob just have 1 each (thus the rationalization of teams a bit).

Either continue with CCGs (slightly modified) for round 1, or just seed all 8 so the committee has something to talk about and everyone has something to b!tch about. The only downside I see is that you might want wildcards - in case you have a division with 2 really great teams in the same year, then you'd need 1 or 2 less divisions. And you would lose a CCG. Just have another bowl game I suppose.

This is what I would do if I was dictator for life, anyway.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
This could happen, but it would need the playoff to go to 8 teams, and the conferences to take football back from under the NCAA. It could happen - money could drive both those things.

The P5 could "rationalize" into 8 divisions of 9 teams each (adding a few G5 and ND I suppose), and conferences would be OK swapping a few teams on geography (say ISU or Mizzzou to the B1G) since it was all consensual. You'd play your 8 division opponents, some non-cons, and then the 8 division winners are your CFP. The B1G, SEC, ACC could still exist with 2 divisions each, the PAC and Big12 would prob just have 1 each (thus the rationalization of teams a bit).

Either continue with CCGs (slightly modified) for round 1, or just seed all 8 so the committee has something to talk about and everyone has something to b!tch about. The only downside I see is that you might want wildcards - in case you have a division with 2 really great teams in the same year, then you'd need 1 or 2 less divisions. And you would lose a CCG. Just have another bowl game I suppose.

This makes reasonable sense. I wouldnt expand the playoffs directly though, have the division winners play championship weekend with the 4 winning teams making the playoffs and the losers then head off to their respective bowl games.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
IMO it should be required of all conferences to play 9 conference games or at the very least 10 P5 opponents. Get rid of the 1AAs and weigh being a conference champion more heavily. Go to 8 playoff teams and all winners of P5 title games get an auto-bid. Then you have 1 spot for the best G6 team and 2 at-large bids. Make the first round of the playoffs on-campus or at the nearest domed location of the higher seeded team.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
There is a 0% chance you can convince me to expand away from 10 teams. It's the perfect number for football and basketball. Round robin in both sports, play everyone once in football and twice in basketball. Football rotates home/away schedule. Basketball you play everyone home and away. Perfect.

In a perfect world I agree.

When the broadcast partners pull out the checkbook and start making demands.....then I'd have to listen.

Money. The cause and cure of just about everything

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
In a perfect world I agree.

When the broadcast partners pull out the checkbook and start making demands.....then I'd have to listen.

Money. The cause and cure of just about everything
Big 12 revenues have trended up the last couple years. How has expanding treated the PAC 12?

Reactions: CyTwins

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
IMO it should be required of all conferences to play 9 conference games or at the very least 10 P5 opponents. Get rid of the 1AAs and weigh being a conference champion more heavily. Go to 8 playoff teams and all winners of P5 title games get an auto-bid. Then you have 1 spot for the best G6 team and 2 at-large bids. Make the first round of the playoffs on-campus or at the nearest domed location of the higher seeded team.
Meh - a dome shouldn't be a requirement. It's not like the first round will be played in January.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If it were up to me the Big 12 would have 8 conference games. Tell me which conferences have been left out of the playoff and notice a pattern (They all have 9 conference games) Heck, Notre Dame did not even play the magical 13th game last season (Title game) and still got into the playoff.

You need quality wins for the playoffs, how do you get quality wins? You beat a team that ends up above .500. Beating a 7-5 Akron team is considered a quality win whereas beating a 6-6 Kansas State team is not. If the SEC or ACC went to 9 conference games, that guarantees one more loss for half the teams, you know what else that does? It drops the probability that SEC schools get a quality win. Kentucky can go 4-0 in non-con and finish 7-5. If Alabama beats them, it is a quality win for Alabama. Let's say Kentucky goes 3-0 in non-con and then 3-6 in the league because they have to play LSU instead of Tulane. They are now NOT a quality win that Alabama (or anyone in the SEC) can count towards their resume.

I know some folks slobber over the round robin of the Big 12 but you are shooting yourself in the foot by doing it as far as college football playoff hopes go. I'd rather almost guarantee a playoff berth than thump my chest about having a 'tough out' in the league This can have an impact on revenue. Ask the Pac-12, they are really hurting and not getting that playoff money leaves a mark. (I know it is not their biggest issue but does play a part)

I just don’t really care that much because it doesn’t impact us.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
When it's my turn to be god here is how it will look:

Top 88 programs in country divided into eight 11 team conferences.
Everyone will play 10 conference and 2 non con games
Each conference has conference championship and winner goes into 8 team playoff for NC
These 88 teams will make up A league

Remaining 50 or so programs go into similar structure (B league if you will)

Every 3-5 years based on some type of RPI rating top ten B League teams get moved up and bottom 10 A league teams get moved down.

Alternate version: take top 112 programs and divide into eight 14 team conferences. Round robin 13 game conference schedule with no non con games. Eight conference winners go into playoff for NC. Every game matters an no place to hide.
Everyone outside top 112- sucks to be you.

• Creative
Reactions: 2speedy1

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Big 12 revenues have trended up the last couple years. How has expanding treated the PAC 12?

And the SEC and Big 10 have seen their revenue fall?

PAC is a different animal. Their gambit failed and their mismanagement has cost them.

If ESPN says the Big 12 needs to expand then I'm sure we aren't going to bite the hand that feeds us.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I just don’t really care that much because it doesn’t impact us.
Well when the Big 12 doesn't make the playoff it impacts ISU to the tune of lower revenue and a lower bowl game for our favorite team.

ISU is also a good team and of course we're hoping for a Big 12 championship. What if we have two losses, one to OU and one to TCU. Had we only played 8 conference games perhaps we would not have played TCU so only 1 loss. That is the difference of being in the playoff and not being in the playoff.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Well when the Big 12 doesn't make the playoff it impacts ISU to the tune of lower revenue and a lower bowl game for our favorite team.

ISU is also a good team and of course we're hoping for a Big 12 championship. What if we have two losses, one to OU and one to TCU. Had we only played 8 conference games perhaps we would not have played TCU so only 1 loss. That is the difference of being in the playoff and not being in the playoff.

I don’t get caught up in all that money stuff. I just love my Cyclones.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

There are a lot of possibilities, you could also go with wildcards having to "play-in" and the auto bids getting the bye since they won the championship game. This would mean all the champions get a auto bid, Then your play-in game the next weekend. This could also allow for more G5 teams getting a "Cinderella shot" so to speak.
I think the fact is, we have to believe something WILL happen more than likely. The idea that nothing happens is very unlikely. History shows if you wait a minute things change, and expect the unexpected.
Things have been fairly stable and quiet now for a while and I think it will be for maybe a year or two more but things are going to heat up and the next round could really change things, from the conferences to the playoff. It will be money that drives it, but will the playoff drive it, media deals, conference problems or some other reason is yet to be seen.
It is just the way it always has been they never sit still for too long.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Oh dogg you don’t know many hok fans or hok talking heads do you? They are right there in that top tier. They almost won the conference championship one year. They lost but still had an undefeated season.

Are you referring to the "undefeated" 12-2 season in which they lost to anyone with a pulse.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
When it's my turn to be god here is how it will look:

Top 88 programs in country divided into eight 11 team conferences.
Everyone will play 10 conference and 2 non con games
Each conference has conference championship and winner goes into 8 team playoff for NC
These 88 teams will make up A league

Remaining 50 or so programs go into similar structure (B league if you will)

Every 3-5 years based on some type of RPI rating top ten B League teams get moved up and bottom 10 A league teams get moved down.

Alternate version: take top 112 programs and divide into eight 14 team conferences. Round robin 13 game conference schedule with no non con games. Eight conference winners go into playoff for NC. Every game matters an no place to hide.
Everyone outside top 112- sucks to be you.
Great Idea, problem is we have a conference system now and they control everything, you are never going to completely rework the entire system like that. You are not going to tell all the conferences they are going to disband and redistribute to what someone or some committee thinks is the right groups go from there.
So you have to find a realistic route to where the current conferences make realistic moves to get to a future expansion of the playoff, or conferences, or opposite of that.
While I can see some more expansions, or mergers, or maybe a group splitting off to form a new conference, I dont see a complete reconstruction of the college sports landscape.
You have to realize, while Football is king, this also has to work for other sports too.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If there were no divisions then OSU, PSU,MSU and MU could not play each other and pick up MN or IL, etc, instead, assuring that their would be multiple B10 teams in the top 10.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I agree with you and I'm not saying you didn't mention it. Just more of a boggles my mind how cheap the SEC is for as good as they typically are at football.

2 thoughts:
1. When you're the greatest conference in the history of football, every opponent is a cupcake.
2. When you're the greatest conference in the history of football, opponents don't need money. They bask in the glow of SEC prestige and know that, for just one fleeting Saturday, their programs and lives matter.