Long two days left. Story time! Please share your own

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
When I was 16 or so, I was listening to a Cyclone basketball game on the radio, and we lost it in the last minute (I can't remember who we played). I was so mad I flung myself into a wall of my bedroom and put a basketball sized hole in the wall. I ended up covering it up with a Samantha Fox poster, and my parents didn't discover it until I moved out for college. I am slightly better at handling losses now.
Samantha Fox is a perfect fit for covering up basketball sized holes.

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
My Dad is a alum, grew up in NE in the 90s, so that was awesome. I hated Nebraska more than anyone back then, but the hatred has shifted. Dad has always had season tickets to football and basketball; we would make it to most of the games. Lot of long nights heading back from weekday basketball games, then go to school in the AM. When we moved to Iowa in 2000 I thought it would be more 50/50 Cyclones vs Hawks. I found out how wrong I was, and the hatred shifted to Iowa and their arrogance.

Always gotten a 'Go State' when I travel and wear my gear. I moved from Iowa about 5 years ago and love seeing a car with a sticker or something. About the only way people can offend me is when they call us 'Iowa'. Converted my girlfriend into a fan this year: the first real game (she watched Kansas with me first, but that doesn't count) she watched with me was West Virginia this year. She asked me, "How can you watch these guys? I'm not a fan and I have anxiety." That question encapsulates a lot of our fandom.

Been to a lot of big games, two of the bowl games (Independence 04 and Alamo 18), and make it to KC for the conference tournament for the first time. Last weekend I went to my first NCAA tournament game. My girlfriend if a Badger, and I figured I'm probably not going to get the opportunity to see those two teams in the same session, that close to home. Had a great time, even cheered for Bucky that night.

CW is right: it's never easy being a Cyclone. But it's a special place that gets into your bones. Glad I got to be a fan in some bad times. I think it makes you appreciate the fact that there's never been a better time to be a Cyclone!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I grew up in the 80's and 90's in a Cyclone family in NW IA surrounded by tavern hawks and Fuskers. This of course would have been during the Fry days and Iowa fans were just down right cruel to Iowa State fans. I will never forget how some of the adults interacted with a young Brasky just because he was a Cyclone fan and I've always told my self that I won't ever treat a kid like sh!t just because of the team they cheer for. Needless to say I've built up a lot of Cardinal and Gold scar tissue over the years.

Fast forward a few years and I went to Boot camp in early march of 2001 and I will never forget opening the letter I got from my parents a few short days after we lost to Hampton. I had no idea who had won or lost those first round games so when I tore open that envelope and looked at the updated bracket my dad sent I about puked. Shocked was an understatement. About 8 months later I finished my tech school and get my first duty assignment.... in Hampton VA. I couldn't wear anything Iowa State without somebody flicking me crap, it was brutal. To this day I've never seen a single play from that game. Every time that game popped up on TV when a 2 seed was on upset alert I either left the room or changed the channel.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Didn't watch much sports at all until I joined the marching band. Now I'm a fanatic for pretty much every sport. Being a part of the GameDay atmosphere in Jack Trice is a surefire way to make a passionate fan for life.
I admire you Band guys and gals. Sure, playing an instrument is one thing but the time, dedication and work involved with Band is something some people don't think about.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
In my experience, being a non-alum ISU fan is pretty rare and usually the result of having close family members who are alums.

I tip my hat to our non-alum fans. You have signed up for this pain, suffering, and heartbreak without a particularly compelling or obvious reason to do it. You're braver than I could imagine.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I'll never forget the moment of sheer bliss I had when they lost to NW State in the first round of the '06 tourney.
Good story. Thanks for sharing. The Oregon beatdown last year is one of my faves.

Christian McCaffrey punking Iowa in the Rose Bowl. God that was delicious. I'm gonna go watch the highlights again.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I grew up in eastern Iowa and western Illinois. Never really had a college team. My uncle went to Iowa and I remember them being excited about the '91 Rose Bowl and bought me a shirt that I maybe wore once. None of my friends had college teams either, so we just followed the Flavor of the Month teams for that years football and basketball season. My Dad was kind of a tavern hawk but never really watched games with him, partly since my parents were divorced.

Decided to go to ISU based on wanting to get into architecture and getting in-state tuition. Became an ISU fan because it was my school and I had a few really good friends I met that had grown up fans. It also helped that I started in 99 right when we turned the corner in football and the basketball team was on a roll.

Started hating Iowa shortly after. Went back home for my first break over Christmas and my Dad, stepmom, and stepmom's family would give me **** for going to ISU and being a Cyclone fan. These people never talked about Iowa until I was going to Iowa State. Then they turned into the biggest tavern hawks. No surprise that my uncle that went to Iowa was always the most reasonable one to talk to about sports.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
In late February of 2001 my senior year I was at Sips and they had a contest for a free trip to Ft Lauderdale for spring break. My good friend and roommate told me if she won I could have the prize because she already had Caribbean vacation with family lined up.

She won, kept her word...and our "house" of rowdy guys were forever in debt to the one female roommate who graciously gave us a free spring break trip. It went about like you'd expect, very fun free trip. We bought her a shark in a bottle as a gag gift and a few other things, this was just before 911 so you could put a shark in a bottle of formaldehyde in a carry on.

The night we get back is...the night of the Hampton game. Pretty bad snowstorm is starting up leaving Des Moines airport. We have the game on the radio. My friend's car slides into a high curb and a wheel seems like it's almost completely off his car. While we are waiting for help in the snow storm for well over an hour we listen to the entire second half of the Hampton game stranded in a broken down car. Had to stay at a hotel in DSM because none of us had friends/family in DSM.

The next morning my bag smelled HORRIBLE and I realized the shark in a bottle had broken in my bag with all my stuff. At the auto shop I was so angry and frustrated I just threw the shark into a snowbank somewhere in Des Moines...so some random person in Iowa probably stumbled upon a shark carcass when the snow melted.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In my experience, being a non-alum ISU fan is pretty rare and usually the result of having close family members who are alums.

I tip my hat to our non-alum fans. You have signed up for this pain, suffering, and heartbreak without a particularly compelling or obvious reason to do it. You're braver than I could imagine.

I'm one and it's not easy.

Also it's kind of weird when people are surprised I didn't go to ISU, but they also didn't go to WI or Iowa likewise.

Both fanbases also just assume everyone wants to go to those schools or are fans just because they live in the state/area and have a hard time when they learn that's not the case.

I've gotten a lot of 'well you cheer for both, right?' and I get quite a look when it's a resounding 'no'.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Christian McCaffrey punking Iowa in the Rose Bowl. God that was delicious. I'm gonna go watch the highlights again.

Living in LA I had kind of wanted some Iowa fan relatives of mine to visit...the Rose Bowl ticket prices were just insane though.

In hindsight I am glad they visited at other times. I can't imaging paying that price for that game and that result as a fan.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
In February wife and I were at Clearwater Beach for a few days. The last day I was wearing an ISU shirt and got quite a few "go State" comments. Two Penn State grads were sitting next to us and they were huge wresting fans. They were really cool as they hoped to beat Iowa at nationals. I reminded them it took an ISU wrestler and coach to turn them into the national power they are.

Can you imagine if ISU would have held onto both Gable and Sanderson as coaches? How many championship banners would be hanging in Hilton? 20 more? 25 more?
Lifelong ISU fan.

As disturbing as it might have been for Gable to switch over to Iowa and the success they had, still have in wrestling, could it be it wasn't all bad? I don't know.

I've just heard a story or two about Gable and his coaching style (from an inlaw whose son wrestled for Northwestern, then transferred to EIU to wrestle for Gable).

Glad to see ISU returning to wrestling prominence with Kevin Dresser.

Reactions: NWICY and Cy4Lifer

20eyes

May 15, 2020
It's a story like so many of us could tell...

Grew up a Sioux City Hawk, which in my defense is better than a Sioux City Cornf#cker...and when I say that I mean when I grew up it was like ISU athletics didn't exist. It was one of those two or Notre Dame who, despite having gone to Catholic School I never cared about.

I'd intended to go to UI when I discovered in a USMC barracks ( whilst looking at application info) that UI didn't offer my major. I was def coming home and def paying in-state tuition so off to Ames I went.

Tried to stick with the Hawks until the '97 UI/ISU game ( I think Tim Dwight just scored on us again...) when, due to the behavior of basically every UI fan I encountered plus their disrespect of the University I was just like, "F@ck these guys"...

I was a full out Cyclone at that moment and honestly it was a great time to convert. On balance, it's been a decent 25 years...

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I admire you Band guys and gals. Sure, playing an instrument is one thing but the time, dedication and work involved with Band is something some people don't think about.
Yeah, I don't think most people truly appreciate what the band does for atmosphere. Football games would not be the same without that thump from the drum when they're marching in, and the stuff they play for basketball.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009

Also it's kind of weird when people are surprised I didn't go to ISU, but they also didn't go to WI or Iowa likewise.

Both fanbases also just assume everyone wants to go to those schools or are fans just because they live in the state/area and have a hard time when they learn that's not the case.

I've gotten a lot of 'well you cheer for both, right?' and I get quite a look when it's a resounding 'no'.
Same. Almost everyone I know thought I was an ISU alum.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I'm pretty sure I attended my first Iowa State football game at a couple of months old, and my family has had season tickets as long as I've been alive. Some of my most vivid memories as a kid revolve around Cyclone football, I was almost 100% sure I was going to ISU until I had the opportunity to play a sport in college, but despite this I still make it back for almost every home football game

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I think that's because such a high percentage of ISU fans are alums, especially compared to Wisconsin and Iowa.

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
Am I the only one here that is not an alum?

Not the only one, although I was inducted into the cult early.

I went to school there for a year, but got burnt out on classes. Quit school to go to work after my junior year. I had intended to go back and finish my degree (worked nights at a local factory), but pushed it off. My job kept throwing money at me, and now I make more than I would have had a stuck with my major. Such is life. At least I got an associates degree from the CC I went to, so my college career wasn't a total waste.

Reactions: NWICY