Lineup next year

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Assuming no transfers coming in (Caldwell or Thorn) and current injuries and performances, what do you think is a realistic 2 deep lineup next year.

125 - Finch, Not sure who is at 125 except incoming true frosh Larson
133 - Cash and Hallman, with Meeks to start if they don't excel
141 - Goettl, then Jones
149 - McCauley, then Mayfield
157 - Mayfield, Weatherman maybe Moreno if England can cut to 165
165 - Moreno, then Molina, unless England can cut to 165
174 - Spangler, then Ta Weatherman
184 - Beard, Christenson
197 - Gadsen, then Shafer needs to bulk up because I think Gadsen is going to need alot of breaks to heal. Then also Voelker needs to bulk up aand get stronger
Hwt - Gibson, then Swope

We seem weak at 125 and Hwt for depth. Also a little bit of uncertainty with all the health issues with Mayfield, Weatherman

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Spangler was 165 last year. With Sorenson graduating do you think he will move back down?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
With his health issues, I think he needs to stay bulked up. Not sure how much weight he is cutting and not sure if England would have an easier cut to 165. If Caldwell is not coming to Iowa State, I think we need to split Spangler, England, Ta Weatherman, and Beard up and have them from 165 to 184. I don't feel comfortable that Beard and Spangler are going to wrestle all next year without some injuries.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I think Beard should be much better injurywise next year. Right now it seems like he has lots of nagging stuff. With an offseason of wrestling focused strength and conditioning I think a lot of that will go away.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I like the way the lineup looks at 125, 141, 174, 184, and Hwt next year. Nervous about 197 mainly then 157 and 165.

We lose Sorenson at 165, but Logan Molina at 165 and Tanner Weatherman at 174 are the only two coming off redshirt to significantly help the team and add in true frosh McCauley and Meeks. So we need to get healthy and stay healthy in order to provide the depth and strength this team need to compete for a trophy. To many young teams out their to have any major holes and compete. Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio State and Penn State are all young and wrestling well.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think these guys need to be looked at as starters and/or backups
Finch, Meeks(if we don't redshirt), Goettl, Tr. Weatherman, Mayfield, McCauley(if we don't redshirt), Moreno, Molina, Spangler, England, Ta Weatherman, Beard, Gadsen, Gibson.

Then there are guys like Cash, Hallman, Jones, Shafer, and Voelker that need to improve some more to provide strong roles for the team.

That is 19 guys.

I don't see other making a significant impact next year, but hopefully I am surprised.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Hope so, but nothing official on if he is transferring. I don't think that decision is going to be made until after season and Olympic trials are over.

Dec 6, 2009
I think these guys need to be looked at as starters and/or backups
Finch, Meeks(if we don't redshirt), Goettl, Tr. Weatherman, Mayfield, McCauley(if we don't redshirt), Moreno, Molina, Spangler, England, Ta Weatherman, Beard, Gadsen, Gibson.

Then there are guys like Cash, Hallman, Jones, Shafer, and Voelker that need to improve some more to provide strong roles for the team.

That is 19 guys.

I don't see other making a significant impact next year, but hopefully I am surprised.

I worry about the wrestlers who are having surgeries. Neck, elbow, shoulders - these are no small deals. Beard was injured most of his red shirt year and hasn't been healthy this season either. These guys are all good wrestlers but having a hard time staying healthy. I think before you count on them as solid starters need to see them actually on the mat. Gadsen is a prime example of people putting all their hopes and dreams in one basket only to have him come out too early and get hurt again. I say it isn't their spot in the line up until they earn it. Who knows what will happen between now and then....just like this year, no one could predict all the problems we have had.
Don't get me started on the concussions....
I want to see how this year pans out before predicting next year. Hopefully some of the guys will peak at just the right time and surprise us all.
Looking forward to the duals, but wish it was like last year with more oportunities to wrestle more opponents. Our wrestlers need to see different opponents and build their confidence. ISUs schedule was killer this year and I am hoping that next year we can branch out a bit to where we don't wrestle the top ranked teams and wrestlers every dual, then repeat.

Reactions: GoCubsGo

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I agree WrestlingWatch, We have many that are battling serious injurys.
Finch seems to be pretty durable at 125
133- seems to have a lot of depth in Cash, Hallman, and Meeks
141 - Jones and Goettl seem to be fairly durable
149 - I don't think McCauley has a history of injuries
149/157 - Mayfield & Weatherman are going to be susceptible to injuries
157/165 - Moreno seems okay, as does Molina
That makes us potentially pretty thin at 157 & 165 - Not sure on Cozart's plan
174 - England and Ta Weatherman seem pretty solid
184 - Beard hopefully gets his wrestling body back from baseball
197 - Gadsen is extremely susceptible to injury, and Shafer
Hwt - Gibson looks fairly solid, but Swope is not ready for D1 yet.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2009
I agree WrestlingWatch, We have many that are battling serious injurys.
Finch seems to be pretty durable at 125
133- seems to have a lot of depth in Cash, Hallman, and Meeks
141 - Jones and Goettl seem to be fairly durable
149 - I don't think McCauley has a history of injuries
149/157 - Mayfield & Weatherman are going to be susceptible to injuries
157/165 - Moreno seems okay, as does Molina
That makes us potentially pretty thin at 157 & 165 - Not sure on Cozart's plan
174 - England and Ta Weatherman seem pretty solid
184 - Beard hopefully gets his wrestling body back from baseball
197 - Gadsen is extermely susceptible to injury
Hwt - Gibson looks fairly solid, but Swope is not ready for D1 yet.
\

Any news on Shafer's injury? He has been healthy up until this concussion.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Think that we give the midlands a break next year? Seems like we do more damage than good there the last couple years.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
John (the dad) is a good friend of mine and I have been putting the bug in John's ear. With the Dardanes at 133 and 141, it is maybe possible. But that would have to be up to J (Minnesota coach) to give a release. And J might be planning on Ness going to 157, N Dardanes going to 149, Thorn going to 141 and/or C Dardanes going to 141 and the other stays at 133. Neither are going to 125, I don't think.

After the season is over, it will probably be discussed what the plan is for everyone at Minnesota.

Long story short, possible, but long shot.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
As far as Tommy (the younger brother); he is a sophomore in high school and I told John he needs to follow in his dad's footsteps and be a Cyclone. I get a smile and "we'll see". I told John, its a perfect fit, Finch will be a redshirt senior when Tommy is a true frosh at Iowa State and can come right in and take over for Ryak.

Of Course, Larson might have something to say about that if he is still at 125.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
John (the dad) is a good friend of mine and I have been putting the bug in John's ear. With the Dardanes at 133 and 141, it is maybe possible. But that would have to be up to J (Minnesota coach) to give a release. And J might be planning on Ness going to 157, N Dardanes going to 149, Thorn going to 141 and/or C Dardanes going to 141 and the other stays at 133. Neither are going to 125, I don't think.

After the season is over, it will probably be discussed what the plan is for everyone at Minnesota.

Long story short, possible, but long shot.

I'm a STMA grad and I would love to have some former Knights to cheer for.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
John is a high school classmate of mine and we were on the State Championship wrestling team together in 1980.

I to would love to keep the Algona connection coming through Ames.

Dave Martin (wrestled for Algona)
Dale Bahr (coach at Algona)
Bill Fjetland (coach at Algona)
Randy Nielsen (wrestled for Algona)
John Thorn (wrestled for Algona)
Kyle Simonson (wrestled for Algona)