***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Unfortunate loss but Wesneski did give the rest of the pen a much needed day off. Brown can hopefully do the same with a better outcome.

I'm to the point I'd like to see all 5 OFers go tomorrow. Happ 2B, then Tauchman or Suzuki DH. Just sit Happ would work as well.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I went back as far as I can, and I cant find a single instance where a team has won a game scoring zero runs.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Saw Miller start a few times for the I Cubs back in the day. I think he’ll be a positive addition. Not a closer but he’ll hold his own better than the joke we currently have.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm to the point I'd like to see all 5 OFers go tomorrow. Happ 2B, then Tauchman or Suzuki DH. Just sit Happ would work as well.

Belli could be 1B given we’re seeing a lefty with a sweeping slider, so my guess is Busch won’t start.

I am getting near the point where I think Happ needs the Suzuki treatment. He can run into one every so often but most of the time he just puts forth lazy ass pathetic swings. I only saw his last 2 at bats yesterday and they were a strikeout in which he looked like he didn’t want to be there (absolutely nothing put into his swings) and then he grounded in a weak ass double play with no outs in the 9th when the first 2 guys got on and the guy ahead of him walked. Just can’t happen.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Belli could be 1B given we’re seeing a lefty with a sweeping slider, so my guess is Busch won’t start.

I am getting near the point where I think Happ needs the Suzuki treatment. He can run into one every so often but most of the time he just puts forth lazy ass pathetic swings. I only saw his last 2 at bats yesterday and they were a strikeout in which he looked like he didn’t want to be there (absolutely nothing put into his swings) and then he grounded in a weak ass double play with no outs in the 9th when the first 2 guys got on and the guy ahead of him walked. Just can’t happen.
I hate to sit Busch because he's a guy that can carry the night along with Morel. I mean it seems to be more not than on but they both have one swing capability.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Saw Miller start a few times for the I Cubs back in the day. I think he’ll be a positive addition. Not a closer but he’ll hold his own better than the joke we currently have.
If Hendricks has righted the ship and Taillon is healthy i think you can use Wesneski and Brown to eat half the bullpen innings.

Yesterday multi innings Wesneski
Today use best remaining 3 or 4
Tomorrow. Multi innings Brown
Next same as today

I like it because it won't over tax our best 2 options ( 30 more appearances 3 inning average) plus the stay stretched for an emergency start and in a 3 or 4 game series they'd each only be seen once each.

That leaves CC to come up with his best 4 options not named Wesneski or Brown.

Wicks I'm guessing goes to Iowa as a starter when he's back for now. Nice to have quality depth. Not sure where we'd have room/need in the field for a deadline deal so they can focus on bullpen.

Last edited:

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Ian Happ. Woof.
Probably in the worst stretch of his career and that’s saying something as he’s notoriously streaky. That said I would bet a healthy sum that he’ll go on a blazing hot streak at some point. Even with his rather common slumps he has a career .790 OPS. Pretty good for a gold glove left fielder.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I’m curious what we end up looking for in a catcher next year. I’ve enjoyed the switch to a defense-first catcher, but when your best offensive option is hitting .200, long term SS is hitting .209, long term LF hitting .219, you’re almost putting 3 automatic outs in your lineup.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I’m curious what we end up looking for in a catcher next year. I’ve enjoyed the switch to a defense-first catcher, but when your best offensive option is hitting .200, long term SS is hitting .209, long term LF hitting .219, you’re almost putting 3 automatic outs in your lineup.
They rave about Amaya as a receiver but he doesn't hit much and throws out fewer runners than the ancient Gomes. I've said before I doubt he's the long term solution. If we sign a non pitcher in free agency catcher would be my guess.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think we're stuck with Swanson for a while. They sd him as a "winner " personally I don't see it especially at the plate. Really question whether he even knows what "the little things" are.

As for LF I'd be fine with Tauchman until one of the prospects force the issue. For that matter L to R Tauchman PCA Bellinger looks pretty good. Of course Bellinger is going to be another thing altogether again. Personally I'd sit Happ till he demands a trade.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I think we're stuck with Swanson for a while. They sd him as a "winner " personally I don't see it especially at the plate. Really question whether he even knows what "the little things" are.

As for LF I'd be fine with Tauchman until one of the prospects force the issue. For that matter L to R Tauchman PCA Bellinger looks pretty good. Of course Bellinger is going to be another thing altogether again. Personally I'd sit Happ till he demands a trade.
I mean Swanson has 2 gold gloves at SS and hit 20+ HRs the last 3 seasons coming into this one. He is 30 so its likely his best years are behind him. I think the leadership and consistency of effort and focus are the reasons the FO felt like he deserved the contract. Time will tell.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I mean Swanson has 2 gold gloves at SS and hit 20+ HRs the last 3 seasons coming into this one. He is 30 so its likely his best years are behind him. I think the leadership and consistency of effort and focus are the reasons the FO felt like he deserved the contract. Time will tell.
I'm just going by his approach. It looks like he doesn't care about winning things like moving a runner/ getting a ball in play with 2 strikes and so forth.

Reactions: TClone99

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
thumbs-down-you.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron