Line moving in Iowa's direction

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
I don't normally subscribe with Jambalaya's Hawk obsession, but he's pretty much right about this.

I have a buddy who follows lines very closely and likes discussing where a various line is it, and how it got there. He's shown me a million examples of Iowa's line being WAY too big in their favor, and not just when they're playing ISU. It seems that Iowa fans throw a **** ton of coin on the Hawks all year long. Iowa's very rarely covers or beats the spread against anyone, and that's intensified in this series.

I wanted to see if this were true so I tried looking it up. Only found one article so maybe you can find another one, but it states that Iowa was 70-49-3 ATS from 2001 - 2010

EDIT: Ah, hawkfan beat me. Serves me right for not scrolling down.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Tell your friend he is an idiot if this is what he bases his theory on. Iowa is 68-53-2 against the spread since 2002.

2011 & 2006 were the only years since 2002 when Iowa was worse than .500 against he spread (including a putrid 2-10 in 2006, if not for that horrid year, the percentage would be much better). And no, I'm not trying to skew stats by starting at 2002 with these stats - that is as far back as the current Phil Steele mag goes, which is why I started with that date.

Good stuff. I thought Iowa had a pretty good record against the spread but didn't want to go digging around for it at work. Maybe his friend doesn't understand how spreads work, like a lot of people in this thread?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don't normally subscribe with Jambalaya's Hawk obsession, but he's pretty much right about this.

I have a buddy who follows lines very closely and likes discussing where a various line is it, and how it got there. He's shown me a million examples of Iowa's line being WAY too big in their favor, and not just when they're playing ISU. It seems that Iowa fans throw a **** ton of coin on the Hawks all year long. Iowa's very rarely covers or beats the spread against anyone, and that's intensified in this series.

In 2010 Iowa was 5-5-1 against the spread, and 4-1-1 against the spread at home. In 2011 they were 5-7 against the spread, 4-3 against the spread at home.

Of course so far this year we're a big 0-1.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Maybe Floyd Mayweather picked another Big 10 team to lose money on. Had to make his money back so $6 million this week.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Does anyone else think that maybe they had money piling up steadily and just decided to move the line at once? Or do they always move them little by little?

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I'm guessing it could be lots of things. There are probably more Iowa fans out there, or at least there are more Iowa fans that are betting, so more money was coming in on Iowa. Also, Iowa has been the more successful program over the years, so many bettors are just going to put money on them because of tradition. Finally, of course, Iowa has home field advantage, and Kinnick has a history of being a tough place to play. So the money came in on Iowa.

The Sports books needed to balance things out a bit, and get more money in on ISU, so they moved the line trying to attract those bets. If it works, I would not be surprised to see the line move back a little again.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Curious. Without having to do a bunch of research......how have Iowa and ISU done versus the line over the last 20 or 25 years, for this game only? Anyone know that?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Curious. Without having to do a bunch of research......how have Iowa and ISU done versus the line over the last 20 or 25 years, for this game only? Anyone know that?

Here are a few nuggets I found...

The Cyclones are 11-3 ATS in their last 14 meetings.

The Under is 6-1 in the last 7 meetings.

The Cyclones are 12-3 ATS in their last 15 vs. Big Ten.

The Hawkeyes are 25-10-1 ATS in their last 36 games after scoring less than 20 points in their previous game.

The Under is 7-1 in Cyclones last 8 vs. Big Ten.

The Under is 8-2 in Hawkeyes last 10 vs. Big 12.

Just for fun, of course.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Here are a few nuggets I found...

The Cyclones are 11-3 ATS in their last 14 meetings.

The Under is 6-1 in the last 7 meetings.

The Cyclones are 12-3 ATS in their last 15 vs. Big Ten.

The Hawkeyes are 25-10-1 ATS in their last 36 games after scoring less than 20 points in their previous game.

The Under is 7-1 in Cyclones last 8 vs. Big Ten.

The Under is 8-2 in Hawkeyes last 10 vs. Big 12.

Just for fun, of course.

Wow, what is the O/U?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
There have been a lot of nonconference games, especially road games, where the Hawkeyes have looked pretty bad, and then become a different team. Rumors of Kirk's demise are always greatly exaggerated. I think a lot of this is just that the money doesn't put as much creedence in a single game than the average fan. It worries me the money is going the other direction.

Reactions: VeloClone

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Take it from me your everyday Hawkeye fan betting $20 online is not moving the line from 3.5 to 5.0. That is major movement in the betting world especially when there is no resistance at 4.0. I'm guessing that the bookmakers are heavy about $350,000 on Iowa in order for us to see that type of line movement.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron