Line moving in Iowa's direction

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It's cuz iowa put up big numbers on the best defense in the country.

K

KFitzy87

The nation probably has no idea what either team did in week 1

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
If the line goes up in favor of Iowa, that probably means there was too much money being put on Iowa State. Vegas needed some more action on Iowa's side.

If I'm thinking that out correctly.

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
If the line goes up in favor of Iowa, that probably means there was too much money being put on Iowa State. Vegas needed some more action on Iowa's side.

You're correct. The line moved because too many people were betting on ISU. So take this as a GOOD thing!

edit: ****, nevermind.

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
You've got it backwards. The line moves towards the direction that people are betting, not against it. This means that this afternoon a lot of money started to be put down for Iowa to cover the spread. Not that people were betting on ISU. If too much money was coming in for ISU to cover the line would move closer to zero. That's why I was wondering if somebody got hurt.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Uhh it it is the opposite. More people are betting Iowa. Since too many people were betting Iowa, they make the spread for Iowa to win bigger to encourage more bets on Iowa State.

And it doesn't matter in any way shape or form other than the ability for CPR to tell his team they are the underdogs. It's about vegas wanting to make sure it assumes as little risk as possible.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Why would they make it easier for an Iowa bet to win if more people were already betting on Iowa?

It is harder for an Iowa bet to win...... I think you are confusing a + sign and a - sign.

Iowa is favored, now they are favored by more. They have to win by more for you to win the bet now.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
They already faced the best QB they will see all year..... at least according to Zabel. Well maybe thats what he said, Im not sure... it sounded like he was chewing on something.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
They already faced the best QB they will see all year..... at least according to Zabel. Well maybe thats what he said, Im not sure... it sounded like he was chewing on something.

Is that what he said? I thought it was audio of him stroking out...

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ

You have it reversed - if Iowa was -3 and went to -5 then they had too many Iowa bets. Remember that the Vegas line is not an attempt to even out the game - just to even out the money bet on that game. An ideal situation for them is umpteen million bet on each team so they will make the vig % and be very content. Plus they get the sucker bets (parlays & Doyles etc)

Last edited:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Yes, you are correct. Remember that the Vegas line is not an attempt to even out the game - just to even out the money bet on that game. An ideal situation for them is umpteen million bet on each team so they will make the vig % and be very content. Plus they get the sucker bets (parlays & Doyles etc)

No he isn't. Too many people betting Iowa State would make the line go the opposite direction. They would make it harder for a person betting Iowa State to win. This prevents them from taking a big loss.

EDIT: lol second person in this thread to edit their post to the opposing viewpoint as I was correcting them. Understandable though, it is easy to get turned around on these lines.

Reactions: Doc

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
You've got it backwards. The line moves towards the direction that people are betting, not against it. This means that this afternoon a lot of money started to be put down for Iowa to cover the spread. Not that people were betting on ISU. If too much money was coming in for ISU to cover the line would move closer to zero. That's why I was wondering if somebody got hurt.

Maybe the officials for the game were announced.

Lets pray it wasn't the crew that officiated the Baylor game last season.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Guess what, the 'smart money' happens immediately after the line is released (moved in ISU's favor) and the day before the event. We will see what happens on Friday night and Saturday morning. With the movement going on right now I'll make a wager that smart money will be betting on Iowa State.