Liberty Bowl 2023?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Ha! Ha!

I have been to 5 Liberty Bowls:

1976 Alabama 36 vs. UCLA 06. It was 23 degrees at kickoff with below zero windchills.

To quote sideline reporter Jim Lampley: "This is colder than Innsbruck (1976 Winter Olympics). I never had to stand for three hours in weather like this."

Coach Bryant wore a red ski mask, and I am still freezing!

1993: Louisville 18 Michigan State 07. It was cold and sleety that night.

2007: Miss. State 10 U.C.F. 03 - Cold but sunny (best Liberty Bowl weather for me).

2012: Tulsa 31 Iowa State 17: Cold, Rainy and a loss. Yuck!

2017: Iowa State 21 Memphis 20: Cold and Gray, but my heart was Warm!

FWIW, I love the Liberty Bowl - even with the usually foul weather.

Coach Bryant loved the Liberty Bowl for the off years (1959, 1969, 1976 and his last game as coach in 1982). His first Bowl Game at Alabama was the 1959 Liberty Bowl vs. Penn State when the Liberty Bowl was still @ Philadelphia and his last Bowl Game was the 1982 game vs. Illinois on another frigid night with snow flurries. Lost to Penn State 7-0 but beat Illinois 21-15.

My first Iowa State memory was the 1972 Liberty Bowl between ISU and Georgia Tech that I watched with my family after a going out to dinner as a family. What a game!

It was also my first Bowl Game to attend in person in 1976.

It was the first Bowl for me to see ISU win in person in 2017.

It's also one the 8 oldest Bowls, so I love the history and tradition.

Iowa State vs. Auburn would be incredible!

I love the way your fandom triumphs over a history of bad weather. Loyal Forever True.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Probably won't try to match the last Orlando tailgate if we go to Memphis. It will be more of a bunch of us having our tailgates together, not unlike we did in Akron.
I still have the invoice from Central BBQ for our tailgate in ‘17 in case we ever went back so if you do a tailgate and have any interest in additional members on a planning committee let me know!

Smoked Bologna is incredible by the way and their Banana Pudding is to die for!

1700696953220.png

Reactions: Cycsk

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I still have the invoice from Central BBQ for our tailgate in ‘17 in case we ever went back so if you do a tailgate and have any interest in additional members on a planning committee let me know!

Smoked Bologna is incredible by the way and their Banana Pudding is to die for!

View attachment 119715

The stops at Central and Commissary make the bowl trip with it alone.

Put me in the camp of a winnable game over opponent name. 7-6 or 8-5 >>> P5 opponent.

Reactions: khardbored

NorthIowaCy

May 10, 2022
I’ve been to the city of Memphis many times. Not only is the food great, but being a music lover, Beale Street offers some fantastic options. If you are in Memphis on a Wednesday night, I strongly suggest going to “King Jerry Lawler's Hall of Fame Bar & Grille” on Beale Street. The Beale Street All Stars band make it worth the trip to see and hear them.
Before attending the game, get online and try to reserve a parking spot in Tiger Lane. Each parking spot offers a grass area with plenty of room for a large tailgate party with electrical plugins.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
I’ve been to the city of Memphis many times. Not only is the food great, but being a music lover, Beale Street offers some fantastic options. If you are in Memphis on a Wednesday night, I strongly suggest going to “King Jerry Lawler's Hall of Fame Bar & Grille” on Beale Street. The Beale Street All Stars band make it worth the trip to see and hear them.
Before attending the game, get online and try to reserve a parking spot in Tiger Lane. Each parking spot offers a grass area with plenty of room for a large tailgate party with electrical plugins.
Agreed with all of the above and Paula & Raiford's Disco deserves consideration. That place is an experience.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Wiseacre makes some good beer. They have two pretty fun locations, with the new one in the south part of town on BB King.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
Does it matter to the Liberty Bowl how many people turn on the TV to watch the game, or just how many people show up in person?

I feel like better TV rating may help long term getting a better selection spot but also long term is so far out of control of individual bowls maximizing now is probably better.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I say this as a joke, mostly, but ISU should have pushed to add Memphis to the Big 12, so we can stop playing them in the Liberty Bowl. Ridiculous that that is a possible opponent again. Also, how ****** would it be to be a Memphis player? I mean a bowl game should be a mini vacation too, not 100% football, but imagine getting to stay home for your bowl game, that would suck.
I remember talking to Memphis fans in 2017 who weren't thrilled with the "home game" and not getting the full bowl trip experience.

Reactions: dafarmer

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I don't see everyone's fascination with Memphis. It's a meh city with below average weather.

Reactions: ConE82

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I don't see everyone's fascination with Memphis. It's a meh city with below average weather.
I don’t think it is a fascination with Memphis per se. I think it is in comparison to the other bowls, dates, and cities available to ISU.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

The city of Memphis seems to care about the Liberty Bowl. And Memphis-based companies really get behind it, such as AutoZone, Fed Ex, and most importantly, St. Jude Children's Hospital. It makes a big difference what the city takes pride in its own bowl.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
The stops at Central and Commissary make the bowl trip with it alone.

Put me in the camp of a winnable game over opponent name. 7-6 or 8-5 >>> P5 opponent.
The trip to the commisary (packed with Cyclone fans) was one of the highlights of the last trip. I’m open to doing it again, the stadium isn’t the best, but it’s a fun time. Easy one day drive.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Mississippi State lost last night. So only hope now for an SEC opponent is a Florida win over FSU or South Carolina over Clemson

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
On the other hand, you can drive. So it’s affordable for Iowa State fans. There were lots of fans at the first liberty bowl too.

I loved Memphis. And one year they are bound to have good weather.
Agreed but it was sure cold last time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron