Liberty Bowl 2023?

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I live about 5.5 hours from the Liberty bowl. Went both of the first 2 times, but I gotta say I'm not super excited to go back. Both times the weather sucked and other than seeing a few ISU fans before the game on the buses, there was no "bowl game atmosphere". The alamo bowl was fantastic in comparison.

I'm not sure how, but if I went again, this time I'd want to somehow do it differently. Or just watch it on the couch with friends.

• Agree
Reactions: RonBurgundy

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Here is the latest report from the Liberty Bowl's weekly email:

Auburn vs. Iowa State, USA Today Network
Kentucky vs. Kansas State, Sporting News
Memphis vs. Iowa State, Action Network
Kentucky vs. Iowa State, College Football News
South Carolina vs. Kansas, ESPN
Mississippi State vs. West Virginia, CBS Sports
South Carolina vs. West Virginia, Athlon Sports
Florida vs. Kansas, College Football Network
Unfortunately of all these projections the guy I trust the most on Bowls is McMurphy (Action Network). Hoping the SEC gets enough bowl eligible teams so we don't have to play against Memphis there again.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Just the annual reminder how the Big 12 bowls mostly suck. But that goes for any conference who has the same tie ins for so long. I just wish we could go to an open-invite system for the bowls. A lot more challenging to do so, but it would be so much more fun for fans and the teams to really not have an idea of where they are going to be slotted.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Twice, yes, but if you look at location, you could pretty much also count the Pinstripe Bowl vs. Rutgers as a home game for them, since it's just over an hour from there to Yankee stadium. It's basically in the outermost suburbs of NYC. It would be like ISU playing a bowl game in Pella.

So "pretty much" it's happened 3 times. :(:campbell:

That settles it - There needs to be Tulip Bowl!

(I know soccer-futbol has such a thing, but few of us in U.S. would notice and/or care :))

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Just the annual reminder how the Big 12 bowls mostly suck. But that goes for any conference who has the same tie ins for so long. I just wish we could go to an open-invite system for the bowls. A lot more challenging to do so, but it would be so much more fun for fans and the teams to really not have an idea of where they are going to be slotted.
Williams mentioned this on a pod a while ago. A bowl draft would be pretty cool (like NCAA selection show).

You’d have the bowls select in order of payouts and prestige. For fairness you’d have have to break up bowl eligible teams into tiers. 9-10 win teams must be selected before 7-8 team wins who must be selected before 6 win teams. Regardless of conference affiliation or P4 status.

No bowl tie ins with conferences so fans and players get new experiences. You’d also be matching more evenly matched teams and could create more compelling matchups.

Have bowls share revenue with the players to entice more pro prospects into playing. You could bring back some luster that bowls used to have.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Williams mentioned this on a pod a while ago. A bowl draft would be pretty cool (like NCAA selection show).

You’d have the bowls select in order of payouts and prestige. For fairness you’d have have to break up bowl eligible teams into tiers. 9-10 win teams must be selected before 7-8 team wins who must be selected before 6 win teams. Regardless of conference affiliation or P4 status.

No bowl tie ins with conferences so fans and players get new experiences. You’d also be matching more evenly matched teams and could create more compelling matchups.

Have bowls share revenue with the players to entice more pro prospects into playing. You could bring back some luster that bowls used to have.
I disagree on this part. There are some 7-8 win teams in the power conferences that are head and shoulders above some 9 win G teams. A team can get blown out in any power conference games they play and then excell in a weak conference to get to 9 wins. I agree that there has to be merit in which teams are selected before other teams but there also needs to be merit in which teams are selected before other teams... ;)

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
On the other hand, you can drive. So it’s affordable for Iowa State fans. There were lots of fans at the first liberty bowl too.

I loved Memphis. And one year they are bound to have good weather.
Ha! Ha!

I have been to 5 Liberty Bowls:

1976 Alabama 36 vs. UCLA 06. It was 23 degrees at kickoff with below zero windchills.

To quote sideline reporter Jim Lampley: "This is colder than Innsbruck (1976 Winter Olympics). I never had to stand for three hours in weather like this."

Coach Bryant wore a red ski mask, and I am still freezing!

1993: Louisville 18 Michigan State 07. It was cold and sleety that night.

2007: Miss. State 10 U.C.F. 03 - Cold but sunny (best Liberty Bowl weather for me).

2012: Tulsa 31 Iowa State 17: Cold, Rainy and a loss. Yuck!

2017: Iowa State 21 Memphis 20: Cold and Gray, but my heart was Warm!

FWIW, I love the Liberty Bowl - even with the usually foul weather.

Coach Bryant loved the Liberty Bowl for the off years (1959, 1969, 1976 and his last game as coach in 1982). His first Bowl Game at Alabama was the 1959 Liberty Bowl vs. Penn State when the Liberty Bowl was still @ Philadelphia and his last Bowl Game was the 1982 game vs. Illinois on another frigid night with snow flurries. Lost to Penn State 7-0 but beat Illinois 21-15.

My first Iowa State memory was the 1972 Liberty Bowl between ISU and Georgia Tech that I watched with my family after a going out to dinner as a family. What a game!

It was also my first Bowl Game to attend in person in 1976.

It was the first Bowl for me to see ISU win in person in 2017.

It's also one the 8 oldest Bowls, so I love the history and tradition.

Iowa State vs. Auburn would be incredible!

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I don't mind the Liberty bowl with a good opponent. If its memphis than that completely cheapens the bowl even more. and how would you feel if your memphis? that would be like ISU making a bowl game and having to play it in Jack trice.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Liberty Bowl was the first and only place I've been to where the concession workers used a paint brush to mustard up my corn dog.
The real question is… how turned on were you?

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I disagree on this part. There are some 7-8 win teams in the power conferences that are head and shoulders above some 9 win G teams. A team can get blown out in any power conference games they play and then excell in a weak conference to get to 9 wins. I agree that there has to be merit in which teams are selected before other teams but there also needs to be merit in which teams are selected before other teams... ;)
Yeah you could work on the tiers. Maybe 8-10 wins then 6-7. Not sure the best way to do it.

But there has to be something to help the little guys out. I’d hate for a potential 6-6 Nebraska to be rewarded with a better bowl than a 10-1 Tulane or even 9-2 UNLV just because they’re a bigger name.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Yeah you could work on the tiers. Maybe 8-10 wins then 6-7. Not sure the best way to do it.

But there has to be something to help the little guys out. I’d hate for a potential 6-6 Nebraska to be rewarded with a better bowl than a 10-1 Tulane or even 9-2 UNLV just because they’re a bigger name.

For some time, I've thought whatever process is used to determine the playoff pecking order could just extend beyond that to include bowl selection and placement.

There could be some exceptions within the framework ... order could be adjusted to avoid regular season non-con rematches, intraconference teams, recent bowl rematches and repeat appearances at some bowls.

edit/also - there could still be some lock-ins for conference connection with some bowls, but with playoff expansion that would be limited to whatever is "the new New Year's 6."

Reactions: nrg4isu

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Twice, yes, but if you look at location, you could pretty much also count the Pinstripe Bowl vs. Rutgers as a home game for them, since it's just over an hour from there to Yankee stadium. It's basically in the outermost suburbs of NYC. It would be like ISU playing a bowl game in Pella.

So "pretty much" it's happened 3 times. :(:campbell:

IIRC, Rutgers had already played at least one home game at Yankee Stadium that season prior to our game in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Reactions: khardbored

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I enjoyed your tailgate down in Orlando.

Probably won't try to match the last Orlando tailgate if we go to Memphis. It will be more of a bunch of us having our tailgates together, not unlike we did in Akron.

Reactions: IASTATE07