Lexi Donarski entering transfer portal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Things I noticed this season, especially the latter half of the B12 season, which may mean nothing:

-Lexi became more demonstrative towards Refs this season after they made a call on her. Odd to me because in the past two seasons, she had almost no reaction unless my memory fails. Her father impressed on her to respect them and challenge herself and not the ref's authority.

-Remember the vicious hit she took to the jaw leaving a hole in her mouth? She took several more hard hits in later games and maybe it made some impact on her psyche. Sure players take hits but I have followed Lexi as long as it was apparent she was a star here in WI (my family is originally from La Crosse, and Lexi comes from nearby Onalaska). She starred in track, volleyball, and BB and I can not recall an injury of any kind. Maybe it made her see things a little differently. Introspection made her question where she was now and where she really feels she should be in her life especially committing so young.

-In many games, her face was flushed red as if over-worked, I know some people naturally do this (Izzy for example). But to me it was odd and stood out against other players...check out some game replays and see if I have a point. This was not as evident last year. Stressed? Health issue...covid? Inconsequential?

-She definitely put out tremendous effort, but the results were lower. For starters the noted drop-off in 3-point efficiency. Add to that an odd proclivity to miss layups. What could cause that? It almost has to be either physical (none reported) or some issue that took her once steely concentration away. It was not that she hadn't continued developing her game it was that she was losing what she had.

The dust is settling. I am out here in space with many others on the outside seeing as one of our own walks away. With not a word other than, she gives her heartfelt "thank yous"...but goodbye.

Last edited:

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
It appears that Tennessee coaches are "following" Destiny Wells/Belmont & Lexi on social media. (Probably not uncommon in today's world.,.)

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Things I noticed this season, especially the latter half of the B12 season, which may mean nothing:

-Lexi became more demonstrative towards Refs this season after they made a call on her. Odd to me because in the past two seasons, she had almost no reaction unless my memory fails. Her father impressed on her to respect them and challenge herself and not the ref's authority.

-Remember the vicious hit she took to the jaw leaving a hole in her mouth? She took several more hard hits in later games and maybe it made some impact on her psyche. Sure players take hits but I have followed Lexi as long as it was apparent she was a star here in WI (my family is originally from La Crosse, and Lexi comes from nearby Onalaska). She starred in track, volleyball, and BB and I can not recall an injury of any kind. Maybe it made her see things a little differently. Introspection made her question where she was now and where she really feels she should be in her life especially committing so young.

-In many games, her face was flushed red as if over-worked, I know some people naturally do this (Izzy for example). But to me it was odd and stood out against other players...check out some game replays and see if I have a point. This was not as evident last year. Stressed? Health issue...covid? Inconsequential?

-She definitely put out tremendous effort, but the results were lower. For starters the noted drop-off in 3-point efficiency. Add to that an odd proclivity to miss layups. What could cause that? It almost has to be either physical (none reported) or some issue that took her once steely concentration away. It was not that she hadn't continued developing her game it was that she was losing what she had.

The dust is settling. I am out here in space with many others on the outside seeing as one of our own walks away. With not a word other than, she gives her heartfelt "thank yous"...but goodbye.
I would add to your comments that some of this is related to inconsistent officiating and the evolution of the game to be much more physical. It’s more than rough out there. Players are getting hurt.

• Agree
Reactions: barometriclow

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I would add to your comments that some of this is related to inconsistent officiating and the evolution of the game to be much more physical. It’s more than rough out there. Players are getting hurt.
Texas is up there with the worst in this, and Needle **** Vic has the (albeit tiny) balls to act like a victim when his teams physicality is brought up in interviews.

Reactions: VeloClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Lexi is the #2 ranked transfer in the transfer portal per ESPN. There are 300 in this year’s transfer portal so far after having over 1,300 last year.

ESPN Women's Basketball Transfer Ranking

-15 of 16 teams in the Sweet Sixteen had a starter that was a transfer

-the transfer portal is here to stay. Managing players, rosters and way of coaching has to adjust as well or you put your program at a competitive disadvantage.

-in the men’s game, assistant coaches advance based on recruiting success and turnover in assistant coaches is often a positive to improve recruiting and bring in new ideas/approaches. Is the lack of new blood at Iowa State a good thing? Is the staff evolving to keep up with the times?
1300 to 300 seems like people have learned the grass isn't always greener somewhere else. Take your free education and run with it if your just a run of the mill athlete.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I really want Vegas to be right Friday night
Whose going to stop Boston?

South Carolina's starting 5 goes like this:
5'9
6'1
6'2
6'5
6'7

Iowa doesn't play defense as it is and their tallest player (who plays) is Cziano whose 6'3. Iowa is 307th in scoring defense giving up 71 points a game. South Carolina is first in scoring defense.

Now Iowa is first in scoring offense but South Carolina is also 7th.

I don't see how this game is within 15 points. I could be 100% wrong.

Last edited:

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Whose going to stop Boston?

South Carolina's starting 5 goes like this:
5'9
6'1
6'2
6'5
6'7

Iowa doesn't play defense as it is and their tallest player (who plays) is Cziano whose 6'3. Iowa is 307th in scoring defense giving up 71 points a game. South Carolina is first in scoring defense.

Now Iowa is first in scoring offense but South Carolina is also 7th.

I don't see how this game is within 15 points. I could be 100% wrong.
Clark may get a couple of logo shots in, but how long does Cziano last before she fouls out?

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Our Women's BBall program is imploding while ESPN can't stop talking about Caitlin ****ing Clark, who couldn't possibly be any more unlikable (like pretty much all Hok players). Can this basketball season end already?
I posted this in another thread.

But as the coach of the No. 1 overall team in the NCAA Tournament, and as a major presence in the women’s college basketball media landscape, Staley is aware of the overpowering narratives that can grip the sport. One of those narratives this season has been Clark’s arrival as a superstar.

Yet while Staley agrees in Clark’s Player of the Year credentials, she sees other players who belong in the same conversation.

“Caitlin Clark, does she deserve it? Absolutely. Does Aliyah Boston deserve it? Does Cameron Brink deserve it? Absolutely,” Staley said. “There are so many people who are deserving of it, so let’s tell all the stories. Let’s not just be one-sided.”

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I posted this in another thread.

But as the coach of the No. 1 overall team in the NCAA Tournament, and as a major presence in the women’s college basketball media landscape, Staley is aware of the overpowering narratives that can grip the sport. One of those narratives this season has been Clark’s arrival as a superstar.

Yet while Staley agrees in Clark’s Player of the Year credentials, she sees other players who belong in the same conversation.

“Caitlin Clark, does she deserve it? Absolutely. Does Aliyah Boston deserve it? Does Cameron Brink deserve it? Absolutely,” Staley said. “There are so many people who are deserving of it, so let’s tell all the stories. Let’s not just be one-sided.”
ESPN would put up a ticker of Caitlin Clark's stats above the scoreboard graphic during the regular season just so we could see her live stats. super ANNOYING

• Agree
Reactions: casey1973

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
ESPN would put up a ticker of Caitlin Clark's stats above the scoreboard graphic during the regular season just so we could see her live stats. super ANNOYING
Who did they do that with a few years ago in the mens game? Was it Floppy (Marcus Smart)? Can't quite remember... Kept talking about him during our games with other teams, effing annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.