Lexi Donarski entering transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
She was my favorite. Stuff like this really questions me on being a fan of anything. I give up. This kind of stuff was happening basically just with players on pro teams when I was going up and into adulthood. Now how can one expect to follow any college program where the best players can just leave at the drop of the hat? Lexi, you broke my heart
It’s devastating for sure. While we are Iowa State fans first, you get attached to these players and when they leave, it makes you hesitant to keep following it as closely because why won’t it just happen again?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I assume this is about my post.. It was meant to be written that I feel like a shareholder in the collective. Sorry if it was read differently, I will edit to make it more clear..
The thing is, the collective is year to year. She doesn’t owe them anything, just like if you quit your job you don’t have to explain why.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I hope JP has a quiet sit-down with the athletes and find out reasons for the transfers out.
Normally I agree, but there is really only one big surprise if you ask me.
Two - if you add Kane, which is arguable.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
From the Rag article, it seems that Tommy Birch spoke to her directly. I wonder whether he asked the reason why and I struggle to believe if he didn't.

"Cyclones guard Lexi Donarski, a three-year starter and lockdown defender for Iowa State, says she has entered the transfer portal. Donarski, who has made 95 career starts, averaged 13.2 points and 3.2 rebounds per game during her three seasons in Ames."

I wasn't worried about Hunter leaving the MBB team - we know the beast called NIL in FB and MBB. I expected KF to transfer because she didn't seem happy and seemed to be underutilized (KF has been injured this season btw, hence the reason she didn't get a lot of minutes, but it would have been interesting to see how successful or not she could have been at EIU).

This is truly shocking - I don't think we have seen a transfer that is so shocking in the team.

The gal from Michigan a few yrs back dark hair great defender transferred out at Christmas break if I remember right.

joyisuful

Feb 3, 2023
This makes me so sad. I have read all of these posts and wow, so many things it could be. What really bothers me is I remember reading an article once about how she had wanted to play at Iowa State since she was little. Knowing that I have to get over it and still support my Cyclones, I am very excited about our new recruits for next year. Also, saw someone earlier post that when Bill is ready to retire we should try to get Chris Kielsmeier from Cleveland State and I too think this would be a terrific hire. He went to Iowa State, did great at Wayne State and has done a great job in a Division 1 head coaching job now as well. He is from Radcliffe or Alden too so ISU is in his own back (or front) yard! I'm sure he is hoping to move to a Power 5 conference sometime soon. One more thing, I looked it up after someone said CBF was in his 50's and he is 65.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
It’s devastating for sure. While we are Iowa State fans first, you get attached to these players and when they leave, it makes you hesitant to keep following it as closely because why won’t it just happen again?
Understand your feelings. Makes me think how sad I would have been if Niang, Morris, Naz, Thomas, etc. would have left. Those were the good ole days.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
The gal from Michigan a few yrs back dark hair great defender transferred out at Christmas break if I remember right.
Jessica Schroll? Does anybody remember the game where she made a mistake on the court and during the timeout, Bill stormed out at her and started yelling at her to the point where she cried? If he’s willing to act like that in front of fans and her parents who were at the game, how does he act behind closed doors?

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Pure speculation, but what about Aubrey coming back and she doesn’t want to play with two Joens sisters

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Well I'm not surprised in the least. CBF has always had favorites. Anybody can see this. His coaching style has never changed and it's just time for him to retire snd enjoy himself. We have a tremendous fan base and should be able to get a good coach in here IMHO.

Reactions: wxman1

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Yep. That's one of the best things about college sports and why it does better than lower-level professional sports. There's a connection made between players and fans, in addition to the connection between fans and university.

Between NIL and the transfer rules, college sports has some dangers ahead for that factor.

joyisuful

Feb 3, 2023
Jessica Schroll? Does anybody remember the game where she made a mistake on the court and during the timeout, Bill stormed out at her and started yelling at her to the point where she cried? If he’s willing to act like that in front of fans and her parents who were at the game, how does he act behind closed doors?
I feel like he has mellowed out a lot since he became a grandfather. Kind of like Simon Cowell on America's Got Talent once he became a father. Might be wrong though!

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
Isn’t Bill signed through 2027? He could wait us out a while if he really wanted us to hire Billy

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I've always worried about this when in attendance at games over the years. But I figured we still were quite successful and keeping most of our players that learned to just deal with the bad as well as all the good. Most players expect tough love but I get it for those that dont as well. We still seem to be getting good recruits.

Reactions: Thompsonclone

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

Years ago, and he's modified his behavior since

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Yes, Jessica Schroll. IIRC I think she had issues with BF's coaching style. Maybe some more experienced posters can share / verify. She just went home immediately.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Good point. They had Louisville chasing them all night. Really should have won that game. Pohlman is a good coach who you never see getting all red in the face while screaming and spitting in player’s faces during timeouts. I can think of a coach who’s been doing that for years.

And you are telling a lie to make your point. Bill has not done the timeout yelling or finger pointing for years

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Well I'm not surprised in the least. CBF has always had favorites. Anybody can see this. His coaching style has never changed and it's just time for him to retire snd enjoy himself. We have a tremendous fan base and should be able to get a good coach in here IMHO.
Favorites? Or do you mean stars? Just because Carlton, Joens, etc. were All-Americans doesn't mean they never got yelled at or driven to excel. There were several times Ashley was taken out because she was trying to force it too much. Pretty much all the players were asked to sit out the rest of the first half if they had two fouls as well.

Reactions: acoustimac
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron