Led Zeppelin

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Cool call, Norwalk. What the **** do you know about my musical taste, buttfucker?

I haven't mentioned a band in this thread.

Hmm I worked in a live band venue for years for Shawn Crahan (clown of slipknot). My roomate was Paul gray from slipknot. I was a on the Ozzfest tour with slipknot and hung out with Bill ward from black sabath. Hung out with Hatebreed and Jamie josta the host of headbangers balls for years. Hung out with LINKIN Park and disturbed . Took Rob Van Winkle (Vanilla Ice) out whole he was in Des Moines after he played a show at Hairy Marys.
But yeah I don’t know much about music.
Oh while Black Sabath played several time I hung out with Kelly, Jack, and Sharon Osborne on the side of the stage.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Hmm I worked in a live band venue for years for Shawn Crahan (clown of slipknot). My roomate was Paul gray from slipknot. I was a on the Ozzfest tour with slipknot and hung out with Bill ward from black sabath. Hung out with Hatebreed and Jamie josta the host of headbangers balls for years. Hung out with LINKIN Park and disturbed . Took Rob Van Winkle (Vanilla Ice) out whole he was in Des Moines after he played a show at Hairy Marys.
But yeah I don’t know much about music.
Oh while Black Sabath played several time I hung out with Kelly, Jack, and Sharon Osborne on the side of the stage.

Cool story. It's also spelled Sabbath. If your Bill Ward story was from before 1980 it would actually be cool, the rest of those people are no name turds.

News flash nerd, Slipknot sucks. Your post solidifies that you have ****** taste in music. Good work.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
The song/style that bridged the power sludge of "Ironman" to AC/DC and, 15+ years later, grunge. Enjoy.

Reactions: cyson

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Next to "wanton excess" in the dictionary is a picture of Physical Graffiti.

That being said, it has some good songs.

"Houses of the Holy" is easily the best of them.

I wish it had just been on Houses of the Holy. That is easily my favorite LZ album (even before IV, yes), and it would have been even better with that song.

I find it odd they held it off because it did not "fit" -- a bouncy, rumbling, and fun song like that is exactly what you want on Houses of the Holy.

Houses of the Holy is really ******* good. As I have listened to the first 6 records enough to be a little sick of them, I have really started appreciating Presence and In Through the Out Door.

But this is a major banger from Houses:

Reactions: Sigmapolis

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Right. Can you imagine going to see the Stones or Zepplin and they don’t play Satisfaction or Cashmier. It’s incredibly douchy. It’s very hipster.

Cashmier? I didn't think Zeppelin had any songs that soft.

Last edited:

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Cool story. It's also spelled Sabbath. If your Bill Ward story was from before 1980 it would actually be cool, the rest of those people are no name turds.

News flash nerd, Slipknot sucks. Your post solidifies that you have ****** taste in music. Good work.

wow u don’t know music. Thanks for participating. I’ll find a trophy for ya.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I like Led Zeppelin. Looking around YouTube on other things, though, I was surprised how many of their songs were plagiarized.

I was aware of this one, written by Willie Dixon, who I saw perform it in 1981.

I see Willie Dixon settled with Led Zeppelin on this in 1985.

But I wasn’t aware of all the other ones I happened across in these videos:

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
I’ve lately been enamored with Sonic Youth and to a lesser degree the Pixies. I missed them the first time around.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I like Led Zeppelin. Looking around YouTube on other things, though, I was surprised how many of their songs were plagiarized.

I was aware of this one, written by Willie Dixon, who I saw perform it in 1981.

I see Willie Dixon settled with Led Zeppelin on this in 1985.

But I wasn’t aware of all the other ones I happened across in these videos:

To be fair, everybody ripped off those old blues records from time-to-time. Led Zeppelin was especially blatant about it, though, which definitely diminishes their historical reputation relative to some other members of the rock pantheon to me. That does not even count their subtle lifts, such as "Tramped Underfoot" being a rewrite of "Superstition." All that, plus their later albums just being plain bad most of the time, holds them back to me.

They were a great cover band, though. :p

This album declared to the world that Zeppelin was officially done as a creative/ musical force.

I know the "cut a double into a single and it is much better" trope is exactly that, a trope, with classic albums, but Physical Graffiti could have really used it. Their early records are very tight on their arrangements and song choices (most of the time).

Physical Graffiti has a ton of flab despite all the guitar heroics.

Another copyright lawsuit against Led Zeppelin, which was won by LZ.

https://www.newsweek.com/taurus-spi...fter-led-zeppelin-wins-copyright-case-1491406

The court can say what it was for legal purposes, but I think it is clear Page ripped of some of the chords and tone colors from "Taurus" for "Stairway."

Anybody with ears should be able to hear it. Courts get things wrong sometimes.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
To be fair, everybody ripped off those old blues records from time-to-time. Led Zeppelin was especially blatant about it, though, which definitely diminishes their historical reputation relative to some other members of the rock pantheon to me. That does not even count their subtle lifts, such as "Tramped Underfoot" being a rewrite of "Superstition." All that, plus their later albums just being plain bad most of the time, holds them back to me.

They were a great cover band, though. :p ...

Yeah. I just wasn’t aware of Led Zeppelin’s extent before and how blatant, and not just blues artists.

Maybe there is something I am not aware of, but I would also give credit to The Rolling Stones in this regard, who gave credit and visited Chess Records in Chicago on their first U.S. visit, I believe, and even made some recordings there. Chess is where local blues artists like Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, and Howling Wolf and others recorded, including Chuck Berry (with Dixon on the standup bass).

In one interview I saw, Dixon said Jagger and Richards asked in that Chicago visit if he remembered them from a show of his in London. Dixon said that they used to let the ‘kids’ in the back door for free.

He chuckled and said of course he didn't remember them, they were so much younger and their hair much shorter then.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Led Zep has more copyright violations than practically any band out there. Great group, but copied from others repeatedly. I’d have a hard time saying what was the best ever, but the stones and Beatles have to be up there. I’m a Deep Purple fan and it’s hard to match their skills. Love Kansas, Chicago, Grand Funk...the list goes on.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
There is an example in this John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers recording of a perfectly appropriate mimicking of another artist . . . on a Ray Charles hit . . .

At the end of the drum solo, Eric Clapton riffs on a then current hit, that perhaps even most people today would still recognize, clearly complimentary to the unnamed artist (the Beatles).

The Stones took awhile to come into their own as songwriters. Few would even be aware of Led Zeppelin’s transgressions today but for the internet. It affects my judgment somewhat of that work, most of which I otherwise thought was great.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
There is an example in this John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers recording of a perfectly appropriate mimicking of another artist . . . on a Ray Charles hit . . .

At the end of the drum solo, Eric Clapton riffs on a then current hit, that perhaps even most people today would still recognize, clearly complimentary to the unnamed artist (the Beatles).

The Stones took awhile to come into their own as songwriters. Few would even be aware of Led Zeppelin’s transgressions today but for the internet. It affects my judgment somewhat of that work, most of which I otherwise thought was great.

Aren't like numerous stones hits just covers of songs?