Votes: 20 11.2%

Votes: 20 11.2%

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • Not top 5

Votes: 37 20.8%

• Total voters

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
just like any athletic 4 or 5 could stop niang this year. Oh wait, nope.

Problem with these arguments, people cant say for example Shaq was amazing without wilt fans taking it as meaning that Wilt wasnt amazing. If you cant admit that Larry Bird was a once in a lifetime basketball player, you are just stupid. Same thing goes for James.

Its hard to compare players from different eras, if you cant accept that Shaq would eat wilt for breakfast, you are just delusional, that doesnt mean wilt wasnt amazing during his time. Jerry West is an all time laker, kobe would murder him in every way. That doesnt take away from West. The game evolves and changes. I think everyone here would agree that football players from the 60's would probably die getting hit by Ray Lewis, that doesnt mean they sucked. Just diff eras.

It's hard to imagine more height, speed, talent and strength getting eaten for breakfest.

The difference in athleticism alone is huge.

Carry on with your delusion.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's hard to imagine more height, speed, talent and strength getting eaten for breakfest.

For his size Shaq had really good feet. I also don't believe someone like Wilt would overpower someone like Shaq with strength.

tre

Mar 21, 2010
push come to shove, i pick jordan over bron, but to act like there's this enormous gap between them or that bron isn't an all-time great is flat out dumb

bron just played in his 7th straight finals

he's won a chip 3 of the last 5 years

he's never lost in the first round of the play offs

in 06-07 he went to the finals with the following team: Shannon Brown / Daniel Gibson / Drew Gooden / Larry Hughes / Zydrunas Ilgauskas / Damon Jones / Dwayne Jones / Donyell Marshall / Ira Newble / Aleksandar Pavlovic / Scott Pollard / Eric Snow / Anderson Verajao / David Wesley

he was 1st in every statistical category in these finals. 1st time in nba history that's been done

he just played in his 40th finals game. jordan played in 35 total. i have a feeling bron hasn't seen his last

he has 7 finals triple doubles, 1 shy of magic's record 8

what more do you want from this man? he just won a chip in cleveland. in CLEVELAND! after being down 3 games to 1 to the greatest regular season team ever

again.... jordan is probably the GOAT, but to read that some don't even consider bron to be an all-timer, let alone the best forward ever, is absolutely ludicrous

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
push come to shove, i pick jordan over bron, but to act like there's this enormous gap between them or that bron isn't an all-time great is flat out dumb

in 06-07 he went to the finals with the following team: Shannon Brown / Daniel Gibson / Drew Gooden / Larry Hughes / Zydrunas Ilgauskas / Damon Jones / Dwayne Jones / Donyell Marshall / Ira Newble / Aleksandar Pavlovic / Scott Pollard / Eric Snow / Anderson Verajao / David Wesley

he was 1st in every statistical category in these finals. 1st time in nba history that's been done

he just played in his 40th finals game. jordan played in 35 total. i have a feeling bron hasn't seen his last

what more do you want from this man? he just won a chip in cleveland. in CLEVELAND! after being down 3 games to 1 to the greatest regular season team ever

again.... jordan is probably the GOAT, but to read that some don't even consider bron to be an all-timer, let alone the best forward ever, is absolutely ludicrous

This year, this finals, that's what was required to make it a discussion. It is now, it DEFINITELY wasn't after he played poorly in his first finals with Miami, yet going into that game the irrational GOAT conversation was in full force.

I don't have an issue with the discussion or debate now, but people (mostly too young to have watched Jordan) were jumping the gun big time years back confusing talent with greatness. This finals was the first time I've seen LeBron as fiercely dominant as Jordan was in his 6 finals. He's had good lines (and bad lines) in other finals but this year he was clearly at Jordan level of dominance when it mattered most.

It was as dominant a performance as I've ever seen and I've been an NBA fan since the mid 80s.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX

Not that hard to do in the Eastern Conference. Just sayin'.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
This year, this finals, that's what was required to make it a discussion. It is now, it DEFINITELY wasn't after he played poorly in his first finals with Miami, yet going into that game the irrational GOAT conversation was in full force.

I don't have an issue with the discussion or debate now, but people (mostly too young to have watched Jordan) were jumping the gun big time years back confusing talent with greatness. This finals was the first time I've seen LeBron as fiercely dominant as Jordan was in his 6 finals. He's had good lines (and bad lines) in other finals but this year he was clearly at Jordan level of dominance when it mattered most.

It was as dominant a performance as I've ever seen and I've been an NBA fan since the mid 80s.
I think he was more dominant last year in the finals. Unfortunately, the second leading scorer was Mozgov, a guy that scored a total of 7 points this year in 25 total minutes of the finals.

tre

Mar 21, 2010
I think he was more dominant last year in the finals. Unfortunately, the second leading scorer was Mozgov, a guy that scored a total of 7 points this year in 25 total minutes of the finals.

thank you! he's been the most dominant player on the floor in the past two finals & it's not even close.

could you imagine what people would say about bron if he were the unanimous mvp, on a team w/ best reg season ever, up 3 games to 1 in the finals and then lost?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
#1...narcissist. After watching the game 7 postgame...did he even have teammates, a coach or a GM that helped him win that title? Not even a mention of Irving's game winner from James...which subsequently won the series for the Cavs. "I did it, against all odds." Good grief.
Then I assume that you also have a problem with Michael Jordan, one of the most narcissistic jerks in the sport, right?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
He played in a much tougher defensive era. In fact his FG% compared to today's NBA proves my point. Scoring is so much easier in today's NBA, everyone shoots at a higher clip. It's hard to compare eras.
Eh, wut? Did you not notice that Larry Bird's career was from 1980-1992 and that ALL THIRTEEN of those seasons rank in the Top 15 of highest fg%?!?! http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html the highest ranked season of this century was the 2009-2010 season, which ranked #21 in season fg%.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Trying to deflect the discussion from Shaq dominating Wilt?
There is no discussion to be had about Shaq domination Wilt. Wilt with today's training tools would be far and away the best current player in the game.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
thank you! he's been the most dominant player on the floor in the past two finals & it's not even close.

could you imagine what people would say about bron if he were the unanimous mvp, on a team w/ best reg season ever, up 3 games to 1 in the finals and then lost?

Yeah he's been awesome the last five Finals, it's funny that people all of a sudden say he finally has the "killer instinct" or looked like a champion or whatever. He had 37/12/4 in a Game 7 after putting up a triple double in Game 6 to beat the Spurs, he was dominant against OKC. He had one of the most efficient scoring Finals ever against the Spurs his last year in Miami and carried a totally depleted Cleveland team to a Game 6 in the Finals last year by his sheer force.

Typhoon

Sep 30, 2010
OK, so then he wasn't better than shaq, but if he had today's advantages, he would be? Got it.

Shaq couldn't have guarded Wilt. Head to head against Bill Russell,arguably the best defensive center in NBA history, Wilt averaged 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds.

As far as athleticism and strength, in track he ran a 49 second 440, had a shot throw of 56 feet, triple jumped over 50 feet, long jumped 22 feet, was the three time Big 8 high jump champion with a best of 6'6" (scissor jumping not flopping), and ran the hundred in less than 11 seconds. Additionally, after he finished his basketball career, Wilt was an accomplished volleyball player. Shaq couldn't hold his jock as an athlete.

As far as strength, Willis Reed, who weighed at least 240 tells the story of how he was trying to get position on an inbounds play. He was trying to take a position that Wilt wanted and Wilt picked him up under the arms and moved him aside.

Both Shaq and Wilt were great players and it would have been one of the primo matchups of all time to see them going at it in their primes. I do agree with another poster that had Wilt had the advantage players have now with fitness and strength training it would have been something to behold.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Yeah he's been awesome the last five Finals, it's funny that people all of a sudden say he finally has the "killer instinct" or looked like a champion or whatever. He had 37/12/4 in a Game 7 after putting up a triple double in Game 6 to beat the Spurs, he was dominant against OKC. He had one of the most efficient scoring Finals ever against the Spurs his last year in Miami and carried a totally depleted Cleveland team to a Game 6 in the Finals last year by his sheer force.
Yes, he scored a lot of points and put up good stats, just not when it mattered. All the other greats would nail 4-5 shots in a row at the end of the game to guarantee their win, not just in the first 45 minutes. They wanted to take ALL those shots or have the ball in their hands every possession down the stretch. That's what made them great. Consistency in that last 3 minutes of a game. I remember Jordan answering every Barkley basket, every Drexler bucket, etc. with an shot of his own. It was a matter of who would miss first and it was never him. That's what made him great.

Stats don't always tell the full story.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Strength? Shaq is probably the strongest big to ever play the game. Don't think of fat, Boston Celtics end of career Shaq. Think of Orlando/Los Angeles Shaq. Dude was pretty much unstoppable.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Shaq couldn't have guarded Wilt. Head to head against Bill Russell,arguably the best defensive center in NBA history, Wilt averaged 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds.

As far as athleticism and strength, in track he ran a 49 second 440, had a shot throw of 56 feet, triple jumped over 50 feet, long jumped 22 feet, was the three time Big 8 high jump champion with a best of 6'6" (scissor jumping not flopping), and ran the hundred in less than 11 seconds. Additionally, after he finished his basketball career, Wilt was an accomplished volleyball player. Shaq couldn't hold his jock as an athlete.

As far as strength, Willis Reed, who weighed at least 240 tells the story of how he was trying to get position on an inbounds play. He was trying to take a position that Wilt wanted and Wilt picked him up under the arms and moved him aside.

Both Shaq and Wilt were great players and it would have been one of the primo matchups of all time to see them going at it in their primes. I do agree with another poster that had Wilt had the advantage players have now with fitness and strength training it would have been something to behold.
You forgot to add that he also had a blue ox named Babe.