Leach Fired

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He should be getting calls from these schools:

Penn St- his offense would rape the Big 10 and the fact they own the east coast in recruiting= NC

Florida St- they could climb right back to the top ten in a couple years, with him running the show

Colorado- just to spite TT for years to come, plus trying to stop that spread at high altitude would have defenses falling apart, and a much better place to live than Lubbock

Kentucky- not a great fit for him, but Kentucky could at least compete in the SEC arms race

UCLA- His offense+ California talent not taken by USC= top 10 ten program in a couple years

Schiano, Fisher, and Neuhesal(sp) have them locked down. Kentucky is better than everyone thinks. Look at their recent records in the SEC, they are not that bad. Colorado is interesting. We shall see. Imagine him with the talent of Cody Hawkins.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
LOL

I know I'll regret asking (and yes, I've been living under a rock)..... but what did Brittany do now?

Brittany Murphy. She died. Attention *****.

I apologize. That is so insensitive that it's ridiculous.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I don't see them slipping as far as we would like to see them slip. They still have a lot of athletes good facilities and they are still located in Texas. They will get a pretty good coach and still be a pretty good team.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I don't see them slipping as far as we would like to see them slip. They still have a lot of athletes good facilities and they are still located in Texas. They will get a pretty good coach and still be a pretty good team.

Have you ever been to Lubbock?

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
He should be getting calls from these schools:

Penn St- his offense would rape the Big 10 and the fact they own the east coast in recruiting= NC

Florida St- they could climb right back to the top ten in a couple years, with him running the show

Colorado- just to spite TT for years to come, plus trying to stop that spread at high altitude would have defenses falling apart, and a much better place to live than Lubbock

Kentucky- not a great fit for him, but Kentucky could at least compete in the SEC arms race

UCLA- His offense+ California talent not taken by USC= top 10 ten program in a couple years

FYI: Lubbock is at altitude too. Not to the degree as boulder but technically (track speaking) is at altitude.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
This. It makes Ames look like Paradise. It's in a dry county for pete's sake.

So true.

I thought I had heard that the booze policy changed--vote of the people I think. No more driving to 'Vegas' for beer and ladies.

When we were down there the last time ISU played, I got an awesome quote describing Lubbock/West Texas:

"Lubbock is so flat, you can head out there to the street, stand on a can of tuna, and see the back of your head."

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

As others have said, TT wasn't winning because they're in a recruiting hotbed - they were winning because the system is so sound that not even Nebraska's #3 rated defense couldn't even shut them down. Plus the AD has an even bigger problem to deal with now - he's shown that they're willing to fire the winningest, extremely popular coach who last year likely had TT's best season ever and this year wasn't so bad considering who all they lost, but not only that are using one relatively minor incident in the grand scheme of things as an excuse to fire with cause so they don't have to pay the guy. Look, I'm hardly saying Leach is innocent - he forced a guy with a concussion to stand in a storage shed for several hours. But considering this appears to be a lone incident as the piler-ons haven't come out of the woodwork yet - where's the cause? Does he deserve disciplining? Of course. But firing? And the implication that James appears to have always had the attitude that he knows better than the coaches (and considering who his father is and the fact he works for the Mothership), it's not hard for me to want to take Leach's side.

Look, nobody in this situation - Leach, James, or the administration - is right. Leach became an idiot in dealing with James. However, he'll likely land on his feet. James, well, is probably going to have a life that closely resembles Niedermayer's. But TT, unless they can hire a coach at least close in caliber to Leach (and why would any respectable coach want to go there after how the god named Leach was treated there), TT football may become irrelevant for a very long time.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
As others have said, TT wasn't winning because they're in a recruiting hotbed - they were winning because the system is so sound that not even Nebraska's #3 rated defense couldn't even shut them down. Plus the AD has an even bigger problem to deal with now - he's shown that they're willing to fire the winningest, extremely popular coach who last year likely had TT's best season ever and this year wasn't so bad considering who all they lost, but not only that are using one relatively minor incident in the grand scheme of things as an excuse to fire with cause so they don't have to pay the guy. Look, I'm hardly saying Leach is innocent - he forced a guy with a concussion to stand in a storage shed for several hours. But considering this appears to be a lone incident as the piler-ons haven't come out of the woodwork yet - where's the cause? Does he deserve disciplining? Of course. But firing? And the implication that James appears to have always had the attitude that he knows better than the coaches (and considering who his father is and the fact he works for the Mothership), it's not hard for me to want to take Leach's side.

Look, nobody in this situation - Leach, James, or the administration - is right. Leach became an idiot in dealing with James. However, he'll likely land on his feet. James, well, is probably going to have a life that closely resembles Niedermayer's. But TT, unless they can hire a coach at least close in caliber to Leach (and why would any respectable coach want to go there after how the god named Leach was treated there), TT football may become irrelevant for a very long time.

Douglas C. Niedermayer, Class of '63. Killed in Vietnam. By his own troops.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Hitler has chimed in on Leach being fired now as well. Not happy...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yowy6Hhb6lw]YouTube - Hitler on Mike Leach's Firing[/ame]

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Schiano, Fisher, and Neuhesal(sp) have them locked down. Kentucky is better than everyone thinks. Look at their recent records in the SEC, they are not that bad. Colorado is interesting. We shall see. Imagine him with the talent of Cody Hawkins.

I agree those 3 won't be passed over for Leach. Calling Fisher the coach in waiting in hopes of keeping the pipeline of recruits full hasn't worked and the team is nothing special anymore. I don't feel that will change when Fisher is running his own program.

Neuhesal and Schiano are good coaches, but are they going to make them great. Not likely, I think Leach could in those programs.

Penn st or ND before they hired Kelly would have been the perfect place for him to land. He could have Penn st in the NC game talk in a couple years.

I'm pretty sure Cody Hawkins is already in "the" dark closet.

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
I talked to a Tech booster friend of mine today. Livid would be the only word to describe his mood. There is going to be a ton of fallout from this.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I agree those 3 won't be passed over for Leach. Calling Fisher the coach in waiting in hopes of keeping the pipeline of recruits full hasn't worked and the team is nothing special anymore. I don't feel that will change when Fisher is running his own program.

Neuhesal and Schiano are good coaches, but are they going to make them great. Not likely, I think Leach could in those programs.

Penn st or ND before they hired Kelly would have been the perfect place for him to land. He could have Penn st in the NC game talk in a couple years.

I'm pretty sure Cody Hawkins is already in "the" dark closet.

I feel like Leach runs a system that you run when you have less talent than the top teams. If he got to a place where he got great recruits I don't know that his offense get's a ton better. I mean how much better can you be than Harrell last year as a QB. He may be able to get better on D but that's not typically what his teams do. I think he will always be successful. The thing is if someone (Oklahoma) has a strategy he struggles against, they will lose. I think it will be very hard for him to win a title. I think no matter where he goes the key will be his D-Coord. If he can get somewhere that can get some defensive talent he could be a little more dangerous. That was the downfall at TT. They simply weren't a big enough name to get talent all over the field.