Las Vegas Tourney Tips off Tonight

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Some odds and ends from my latest blog entry....

Juice blogs » The Cyclones

Clones Look to Build Momentum in Las Vegas Tourney by Jerry Hales
:: December 16th, 2007 :: 8:40 pm

-The ISU Men’s Basketball team will kick off the Las Vegas Tournament at a familiar location tomorrow, Hilton Coliseum. Although the games against Bethune-Cookman and Texas Southern are technically part of the tournament, they will be played at home before ISU travels to Vegas for their final two games against Purdue and either Alabama or Missouri State this weekend. Coming off a win they desperately needed to get over Iowa, they really need to continue to build momentum before the Big 12 season. We shouldn’t have too much of a problem taking care of business at home, but the games in Las Vegas will give us a good gauge of where we are at right now with some great competition away from home.

-Reports have indicated that Wesley Johnson’s ankle has improved a good deal over the break, which would be a big boost to the Clones. I don’t believe it would be practical at this point to believe he will be at full strength Monday, but just to have him near it would mean a lot to our chances at being competitive in conference play.

-We received another big boost Thursday when freshman guard Lucca Staiger announced that he will stay at ISU regardless of the NCAA’s ruling on his final appeal for eligibility reinstatement. From talking to assistant coaches, Staiger is possibly the best shooter and passer that we have, as well as an able ball handler and defender with a 6′5″ strong frame. He will be joined by Coach McDermott, Jamie Pollard, and his German club team coach in the teleconference appeal on Tuesday. The timeframe for their decision on the appeal is unknown. Already a fan favorite at Hilton with the crowd chanting his name before playing a minute, Staiger’s selfless attitude in announcing his decision to stay will no doubt endear him even more to the ISU faithful!

-Seniors Rahshon Clark and Jiri Hubalek are looking like they’re in midseason form lately. Clark has looked terrific offensively and defensively for most of the season, but it will be essential for Hubalek to continue his strong play from the Iowa game as we go forward and begin conference play. ISU fans will be excited to see these two fan favorites finish their Cyclone careers on a high note!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If Garret can play like he did against Iowa, tonight will be easy.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
If Garret can play like he did against Iowa, tonight will be easy.

Man, that comment makes me nervous. We're playing a "Hyphenated" team: Bethune-Cookman. We should be able to beat them easy even if we start two walk-on guards....wait a minute, nevermind :)

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Jiri looks good? Umm, he has looked terrible in every game I have seen. He was playing great towards the end of last year, but seems like he has lost all that and reverted back to the beginning of last season.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Jiri looks good? Umm, he has looked terrible in every game I have seen. He was playing great towards the end of last year, but seems like he has lost all that and reverted back to the beginning of last season.

I said "lately", guess I should have said "against Iowa". I'm hoping that he is going to continue to look more like he did against them (especially the second half) and revert back to how he looked late last season.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Yeah, I will give you that, he did look like he finally woke up against Iowa. And we are going to need that to be competitive the in the big12. Heck we are going to need that to stay out of last place.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Brian, I guess you didn't watch the Iowa game - namely the 2nd half.

He's gonna need to be that Jiri more often than he has so far this season though.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
TV, CloneZone?

-keep

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

He's gonna need to be that Jiri more often than he has so far this season though.

Yeah, and I loved the *** chewing coach gave him only 65 seconds into the game. that seemed to straighten him out. This is similar to last year when coach had a C2J talk with him .....

-keep.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

To be fair, no I did not get to see the Iowa game. I have been to a few games this year and seen most of the others on tv, and he just had not done anything until the iowa game. I did listen to it, and it sounded like he was much better. But I would not say he is "back" just because of one game. If he builds on that, yeah, he is back, but he could just as easily regress back into what we have seen the rest of the year.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
That timeout right away was perfect. I loved Greg's comments about it too.

I must have missed his comments...what did he say? I was loving that timeout also...seemed like we were back in the Eustachy era for a second...he used to burn a timeout after the first defensive possession regularly to chew ***.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Jiri hasn't exactly blown my mind this year, but he is still averaging pretty much 9 points and 8 rebounds. The guy is still making things happen out there especially for being banged up.

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
Yeah, I will give you that, he did look like he finally woke up against Iowa. And we are going to need that to be competitive the in the big12. Heck we are going to need that to stay out of last place.

that’s the thing ive noticed about juri in the past couple of years. During the preseason, he doesn’t do a whole lot on the court. But as soon as big 12 play starts, hes ready to play. Hes like this every year, and im hoping that this is the case again

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I must have missed his comments...what did he say? I was loving that timeout also...seemed like we were back in the Eustachy era for a second...he used to burn a timeout after the first defensive possession regularly to chew ***.

He did chew some butt, mostly Jiri's.

I think his postgame comment on that timeout was something like "I just needed to take a moment to remind Jiri how we play basketball at Iowa State".

He said it with some humor, I busted up laughing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron