Lake Ponderosa

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
My family (parents, me/wife, sister/bil) bought a place out there and closed on it last Friday. Anyone else have a place there? How busy does it get on the weekends for skiing or tubing? Is the marina there any good? Any other info on the lake would be great!

isu200023

Aug 19, 2008
My family (parents, me/wife, sister/bil) bought a place out there and closed on it last Friday. Anyone else have a place there? How busy does it get on the weekends for skiing or tubing? Is the marina there any good? Any other info on the lake would be great!

You didn't research these questions BEFORE you bought the place?

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I thought it was a fun little lake but ya...probably would of figured this out before i spent the money lol

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I don't have any info on Ponderosa but I will give a bit of advice. Sit down with your family at the beginning of the summer and make a schedule of the weekends when everyone wants to be there and especially the weekends when some of you can't be there. The weekends the rest of your family can't be there is the weekend you take me:) We've ran into this problem when the BIL would invite his whole family on a weekend when everyone else wants to be there. When we want to take "outside" family or friends we do it during the week.

Last edited:

Wallacelantz

Dec 30, 2008
Used to have a place. We sold it several years back. Things might have changed, but it always seemed pretty busy for the size of the lake. Always a good time though. If I remember correctly the marina was good for Gas and Boat repair and that was about it.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Check out the dam...there has been more than a bit of concern about its stability this year. Oh, oh...I guess that advice is a little to late.:confused:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

Where is Lake Ponderosa

cyclones7

May 17, 2010
I have a place on the lake. On the east lake. Congrats on the place. You will love it. My family has had a place there since 1967, my grandparents were the 3rd people to buy a lot there. During the holiday weekends the place is crazy. During the 4th of July they shoot off fireworks which i think are better than i have ever seen in the suburbs of des moines, i live in urbandale. most weekends it is decently busy. but if you want to ski on smooth water go early as soon as you can. i believe it is 9 or 10 that you can start skiing. most people don't start coming out until 11 or a little later. there is a partycove on the west side lake. on the south side(same side as the marina, just other side). the marina is good for gas and repairs. they store boats also. they do have some groceries and drinks. all in all, its like a little vacation every weekend.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA

My uncle has a place there, it is a very crowded and busy lake for it's size, it is also very mucky and green every time I have been there. Not sure about the marina but I know they have concerns about their dam, honestly I think my uncle is looking to sell his place before it becomes dirt front property.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
I have a place on the lake. On the east lake. Congrats on the place. You will love it. My family has had a place there since 1967, my grandparents were the 3rd people to buy a lot there. During the holiday weekends the place is crazy. During the 4th of July they shoot off fireworks which i think are better than i have ever seen in the suburbs of des moines, i live in urbandale. most weekends it is decently busy. but if you want to ski on smooth water go early as soon as you can. i believe it is 9 or 10 that you can start skiing. most people don't start coming out until 11 or a little later. there is a partycove on the west side lake. on the south side(same side as the marina, just other side). the marina is good for gas and repairs. they store boats also. they do have some groceries and drinks. all in all, its like a little vacation every weekend.

Our place is on the west lake on the middle west cove. Where is this partycove and how crazy is that? We live in Toledo and can be door to door in 40 minutes. It is a big fixer upper buy are capable of doing that. Also if you know of any lifts for sale we are looking for a fishing boat and 21' ski boat.

hiwhatis

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, IA

Hey, my family has owned a house there for over ten years and i have spent a lot of time there over the years. I always have a great time there, pretty busy on most weekends but not enough that it makes it unenjoyable. Boating activities are fun usually more so on weekdays when it's not as busy but it's good for that and fishing. Also i'd agree with the comments that the marina is not much more than a stop for gas and maybe tackle. Good little lake though

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
been there quite a few times at a friends place. I usually went out fishing early in the morning and there usually isn't many people out early. If you find the right spots you can get some good action with the bass. It is a fun lake to drink with friends at. It gets busy on holidays but other than that it's not to bad.

ozhawk

May 3, 2010
Its near montezuma Iowa. I am VERY familiar with the area. If you like meth labs then the place is for you (I am not kidding).

its a man made lake with dam issues. Montezuma is one of the dumpiest backwoods towns in Iowa. Its almost like they took a chunk of southern Iowa/missouri and placed it in southern poweshiek county. The lake is called ponderosa because the hillbilly that built the place was a big fan of bonanza.

If I were going to drop some cash for a house on a lake Pondersa would be far down on the list. You are going to be contending with rednecks on pontoon boats and jetskiis on an overcrowded lake that used to be a cow pasture. Don't plan on going out to eat anywhere in that area as the nearest good foot is 20 miles away in Grinnell of all places. MOntezuma has a dinky little grocery store that has little variety and sky high prices.

THere are quite a few trailers out at ponderosa where there have been several meth busts in the last 10 years.

Lets put it this way. It isn't exactly okoboji. TOo many rednecks on a lake that is way way too small.