(Lack of) Iowa Football Fan Support

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Iowa State doesn't even hold a candle to what Iowa has done to their football fans. Whether it's season tickets or single game tickets, they have really taken advantage of their fans. If Iowa State is price gouging its in basketball but you are also talking about a lot fewer seats to sell and demand is sky high.

Iowa has always treated their fans like ****.. There was huge demand for their tickets before the sold-out streak ended. The problem now is the product is stale. The other problem is they have a bandwagon fan base, when one person goes to a game 5 others think it is the thing to do and follow that lead, when one person stays home 5 others think that is the thing to do and follows that lead.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Not to mention one is 2 days away and one is a week away

If ISU was undefeated and hosting a top 5 team on a Saturday night that is nationally televised on prime time TV the tickets would be sold out through the university and you could name your price on the secondary market. I don't know if it's just because a) we have a better fan base b) most of our fans have higher incomes or c) both

• Disagree
Reactions: breck53 and GTO

Cyliam

Sep 4, 2017
I don't understand why you are so hung up on this and why don't you just admit we agree Iowa needs opposing fans to sell out their home games. Look at the positives and realize we actually are on the same page on this one thing instead of pointing out the disagreements all the time.

You might not like me and I might not like you but we both agree that Kinnick needs opposing fans to sell out and that is pretty cool IMO.
I don't know of a single school that doesn't send opposing teams ticket allotments.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't know of a single school that doesn't send opposing teams ticket allotments.

Yes but like we both agreed Iowa relies on opposing fan bases to SELL OUT the games which is why the ISU game will sell out every time in Kinnick but a monster game like the Penn State one won't.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Which banned alt is this window licker?

Its gotta be Chumps. Haven't heard a word out of him in awhile and he started early in Sept. I see all my alerts from buddy and taters are gone. This guy has to be one of them. The only people that give them a like are one in the same.

Cyliam

Sep 4, 2017
Yes but like we both agreed Iowa relies on opposing fan bases to SELL OUT the games which is why the ISU game will sell out every time in Kinnick but a monster game like the Penn State one won't.

never-argue-with-stupid-people-mark-twain.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: breck53

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
How many of our fans travel to Iowa City compared to Ped State fans?

What are you talking about? We're not arguing we are agreeing that Iowa relies on opposing fans to SELL OUT Kinnick? Geez you're just trying to pick a fight when we are on the same page.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa has always treated their fans like ****.. There was huge demand for their tickets before the sold-out streak ended. The problem now is the product is stale. The other problem is they have a bandwagon fan base, when one person goes to a game 5 others think it is the thing to do and follow that lead, when one person stays home 5 others think that is the thing to do and follows that lead.

I have several Iowa fans that gave up their season tickets a few years ago mostly because 1) Iowa kept raising the prices and 2) the watered down home schedules. Conference realignment is the best!

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
If ISU was undefeated and hosting a top 5 team on a Saturday night that is nationally televised on prime time TV the tickets would be sold out through the university and you could name your price on the secondary market. I don't know if it's just because a) we have a better fan base b) most of our fans have higher incomes or c) both

Probably bc your only tradition is losing. Your fanbase is so starved for any kind of success they'd probably sell their first born for a mere taste of what Iowa experiences on a regular basis. I mean look at how over the top your fanbase is after a few years of decent basketball? Never seen a goofier, arrogant, full-of-themselves fanbase after a couple years of mild succeed.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Probably bc your only tradition is losing. Your fanbase is so starved for any kind of success they'd probably sell their first born for a mere taste of what Iowa experiences on a regular basis. I mean look at how over the top your fanbase is after a few years of decent basketball? Never seen a goofier, arrogant, full-of-themselves fanbase after a couple years of mild succeed.

Well that's a new one lol. Iowa is so used to winning that even when they are clamoring for Game Day to come to Iowa City for such a huge game they won't attend the game because they've seen so many wins in person it's just easier to watch it at home!

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

One of the five stupidest things I've read on any Internet forum anywhere

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I heard on the radio that the price point for this game is $95 (compared to something like $40 for the North Texas game). That is a lot of money to spend for a ticket in the nose bleed sections of the stadium.

If memory serves me right, years ago Pollard made the Iowa game a premium ticket and the only way to get into the Iowa game at Jack Trice was to buy tickets to two other home games as well. Iowa fans, the Iowa AD all had hissy fits and said something like, "We would never do that to our loyal Hawkeye fans."?

How is Iowa gouging their fans for the Penn State game any different?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
If Iowa is going to continue to charge premium for the higher end games, then they need to also do a variable pricing structure for the less desirable seats. A one size fits all ticket price works when every ticket for every game is $60, but it falls apart when you try to sell a corner endzone seat in the last row for the same $95 price as the one at the 50 yard line half way up the stands.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Ummm I think ISU fans have been gouged my our ticket office over the years. Reseating the stadium, higher seat costs, higher parking costs, higher donation costs, and still a program that isn't good. At least Iowa fans have saw some winning over the years for their extra costs.

I'm not going to sit here and say that ISU is not reaping some handsome rewards from the dedicated fanbase, but Jack Trice Stadium was pretty ghetto lookin' 11 years ago. Especially compared to all the renovations that have happened in the Big 12 the last 5-10 years. KSU, OSU, Tech, all had massive projects completed. Baylor got a brand new stadium...although that brick facade on the inside is just a vinyl tarp....lol.

JP knew ISU/JTS was lacking in many facets, and somebody had to pay for it. Having all the shiny toys doesn't guarantee success, but it does keep ISU from falling further behind the rest. I'd love to see more wins as well, and quite frankly I expect it. However we've been paying for the sins of a previous generation...from the athletic department, on down to the fans.

However at this point JTS is top notch, and the fan base should be IMO exempt from any ticket prices raises, or donation level changes for a while.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
If Iowa is going to continue to charge premium for the higher end games, then they need to also do a variable pricing structure for the less desirable seats. A one size fits all ticket price works when every ticket for every game is $60, but it falls apart when you try to sell a corner endzone seat in the last row for the same $95 price as the one at the 50 yard line half way up the stands.
Is it really that bad? I'd be irate if JTS started to pull that s***.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

That's funny because Iowa fans were touting before the season that "big time" programs have all their tickets priced the same regardless of where you sit.

• Agree
Reactions: majorcyfan

MVCchamps

May 1, 2017
Brent made a really solid point last night on Twitter. Undefeated Iowa has over 4,000 tickets remaining for a nationally televised prime time game against a top 5 team in the country. 4,000!

Iowa will probably be the one of the only schools for the third year in a row to be Top 25 Nationally in attendance for Football, MBB, WBB and Wrestling.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron