(Lack of) Iowa Football Fan Support

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yes, this is accurate but I also don't think it's fair to single Iowa out on what is a problem nationally. IMO the available tickets says more about the university than it does about their fans. Iowa fans hate hearing it but the the university has failed miserably at making Kinnick a family attraction and I think Iowa is finding out the hard way that their single game ticket price has exceeded what the casual fans are willing to pay.. Hawk fans make fun of the Junior Cyclone Club but that was a genius move by our marketing department. My generation (mid 30's) is juggling a lot more youth activities compared to 10-15 years ago and for a lot of people its getting to the point where its just easier to stay home.

I agree 100% Kinnick is a dump. I have gone to almost every ISU/Iowa game in Kinnick and I think this last time was the last one I will go to. Bathrooms, lines, crammed in seats, etc. Not a great experience.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Not sure what the salary is for a fry technician, but I'm sure these ticket prices would require some overtime...

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
I agree 100% Kinnick is a dump. I have gone to almost every ISU/Iowa game in Kinnick and I think this last time was the last one I will go to. Bathrooms, lines, crammed in seats, etc. Not a great experience.

ah, I remember my first Kinnick experience like it was yesterday...the smell of Iowa City and the sight of a student taking a piss on the beloved bricks in what I learned was nothing more than a giant toilet of a stadium, surrounded by the porta-potty that is Iowa City.

• Disagree
Reactions: breck53

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
ah, I remember my first Kinnick experience like it was yesterday...the smell of Iowa City and the sight of a student taking a piss on the beloved bricks in what I learned was nothing more than a giant toilet of a stadium, surrounded by the porta-potty that is Iowa City.

Yeah, pretty much.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Honestly, I can't understand those that would rather watch games on tv rather than in person.

Sports are so much more fun in person.

depends on a few variables that can change.

NFL games - TV all day every day.
college - live all day every day.
the difference is the atmosphere, collective interest of college fans vs a more broad fanbase for NFL, marching band, student section, etc. those are things you need to see in person and add to the atmosphere. NFL is all corporate all the time inside the stadium.

baseball - a nice 75 degree day is perfect for killing some time. baseball is the best sport for hanging out with people who don't like it because you can talk and not focus on the game so intently.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
You can get a ticket on the 35 yard line for $63 on Stubhub now
You can't use StubHub as an example. Those tickets are already being counted in tickets sold. Buying those doesn't do anything toward a "sell out".

I get your point if you're saying people can get in the door for $65 but if you're talking about selling the game out, those are the tickets on Iowa's site for $95 per.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Think a fair number are expecting an ass whooping & if this doesn't happen they can say, "thank me for us doing well/maybe even winning! It happened because I didn't go to the game. Had I gone it wouldn't have happened!"

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Another tidbit of info. Heard through the grapevine that there is talk about the Hawkeyes add some sort of an end zone type club now. Hmmm... wonder where they got that idea!!

Next thing you know they'll try to outdo ISU on kid captains. Knowing their inferiority complex they'll go over the top and put some sort of building beside the stadium full of terminally ill kids.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think a lot of the trolls have been banned actually. I just can't understand how you couldn't sell out this type of game. I mean Iowa fans were all butthurt Game Day didn't come to this one.

NOOOOOO, you telling me no more mashed potato and mvc chump?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
When I read hok fans actually thought GameDay should be coming to Iowa City this weekend I immediately thought- Can we get a Jim Mora soundbite for "GameDay????"

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You can't use StubHub as an example. Those tickets are already being counted in tickets sold. Buying those doesn't do anything toward a "sell out".

I get your point if you're saying people can get in the door for $65 but if you're talking about selling the game out, those are the tickets on Iowa's site for $95 per.

I know but if you're saying the only reason you aren't going to the game is because tickets are $95 that just simply is a lame excuse when you can get in the door for much cheaper on the secondary market.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Its harvest time. ANF ya know???
vauEUgn.gif

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
NOOOOOO, you telling me no more mashed potato and mvc chump?

Either that or they all lost their internet connection for the last 24 hours. Maybe they cancelled service so they can buy tickets to the game on Saturday.

I guarantee that they are still lurking under new identities. They are too obsesses to be gone for long.