La Gesse Column---Defeatism Must End

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
The coaches showed their defeatist attitude when they were up 10-3 with two mins left in the first half and they got the ball on the 40. They ran 3 straight give up plays to try and eat up the clock instead of attacking. If you want to beat OK you have to be the aggressor. How can you expect a team to not give up when they see their coaches do it?

CPR talked about a "teachable moment" for the players in the press conference. Hope somebody pulls him aside during film review and takes advantage of the opportunity to coach him up a little bit on this kind of stuff. I was just "watching" the game cast at that point and could see what a bonehead move it was.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am interested in this defeatism thing. Is it an owie you treat with ointment or is it a disease we need drugs for? If it is mental will therapy help? If it can’t be cured, can it be controlled or managed by avoiding triggers like football games?

:unsure:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The team has been over matched at times this year, but this was the first time this season where I felt the team quit while they were still in a position to make a game of it. These "kicks in the nuts" as someone described them are piling up. Combine the long TD return yesterday with the end of the TCU game, the outrageous end to the Longhorn game, etc, and these guys are becoming fragile enough to lose to both KU and WVU.

I wonder just how much losing guys like AJK and Jake Knott, who were leaders on the field and off, has had an effect on this team. Who are the team leaders that can be counted upon to right the ship when things break bad?