Kyven Gadson out for year

wags

Dec 13, 2008
DSM
according to this: Nelley13: Kyven Gadson's dad, Willie, just told me Kyven is done for the year and will apply for medical hardship. #cyclones #wrestle

Nelley13: Willie says left shoulder, which Kyven hurt his senior year at East is slipping in and out. Kyven has been losing feeling in shoulder

https://twitter.com/nelley13/status/140994273171615744

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
Time to apply Murphy's Law to this year's wrestling season. Better to let Kyven heal then to risk permanent damage.

cjbogler

Feb 8, 2008
This upsets me with Coach Jackson. He rushed Gallick back 2 years ago and ended up being out the whole year, now he does the same thing with Gadsen. Wrestling season is long enough and it doesnt matter how well you do at the beginning, as long as your ready for the end of the year. We need to show progress and not just come up with excuses, which Jackson is very good at. I hope he can turn it around or hello Mr. Heskett.

Dec 6, 2009
This upsets me with Coach Jackson. He rushed Gallick back 2 years ago and ended up being out the whole year, now he does the same thing with Gadsen. Wrestling season is long enough and it doesnt matter how well you do at the beginning, as long as your ready for the end of the year. We need to show progress and not just come up with excuses, which Jackson is very good at. I hope he can turn it around or hello Mr. Heskett.

Perhaps we as fans are partly to blame for the rushing to bring out KJ's star-Gadsen. He has put so much money into this kid, continually talked him up, and his team is not doing well...the fans are screaming for improvement....it was just too soon. I'm hoping that he will heal and be able to come back next season, but who knows. I for one do not want to put all my eggs into one basket. Love Gadsen and wish him well.
Glad we have Shafer to put in the line up at 197. Think he will do well once he bulks back up. He was an NCAA qualifier his redshirt freshman year (last year).

Last edited:

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009

Gallick had some issues that had nothing to do with Jackson. It wouldnt have mattered if Jesus Christ was the coach he wasnt going to be healthy enough to wrestle effectively that year.

cjbogler

Feb 8, 2008
Gallick had some issues that had nothing to do with Jackson. It wouldnt have mattered if Jesus Christ was the coach he wasnt going to be healthy enough to wrestle effectively that year.

Maybe if he would have sat out for say most of the season at least he still has a chance to wrestle at nationals!! Either way he clearly wasnt ready to wrestle, I was at the meet and he had no business being out there. Either way he wrestled two very good kids when they shouldnt have been wrestling. Which is my point!! I remember leading up to the Iowa match a few years ago Jackson even admited to pushing him back for the Iowa meet.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I think I read that it was Gadson's other shoulder that was injured yesterday. I don't know for sure, but I thought he was being held out because of his other shoulder that he had surgery on this year.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
This ******* blows.

I met Kyven and his father a couple of times when I worked retail in Waterloo and Kyven was still in high school. Both class acts. Of course, Willie was an All-American wrestler at Iowa State in the 1970s.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
So what is the status of Jerome Ward? I don't really know how much ahead of Schafer he would be, but he wrestled that weight for us all last year. The lack of depth is bad, and we have to hope that Gadsen can come back. We really haven't gone after another true 197.

Dec 6, 2009
So what is the status of Jerome Ward? I don't really know how much ahead of Schafer he would be, but he wrestled that weight for us all last year. The lack of depth is bad, and we have to hope that Gadsen can come back. We really haven't gone after another true 197.

Ward hasn't even been in the wrestling room lately. Heard he reinjured "something". You probably shouldn't be looking to hard at his return.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Ward hasn't even been in the wrestling room lately. Heard he reinjured "something". You probably shouldn't be looking to hard at his return.
Uhhh..... This is not good. The way Jackson recruited I am pretty sure he was planning on using Gadsen for all 4 of these years. Yikes.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

He is an awesome trainer. I've heard that he can do miracles with shoulders!

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007

Same as coach Jackson indicated at the Luncheon today. Coach Jackson also explained the new injury timeout rule that give the uninjured wrestler the choice of up or down when the match resumes after the injury timeout. He vehemetly disagrees with this rule, saying it gives the uninjured wrestler the chance to claim down and quickly get an additional point upon escape from the grasp of the injured wrestler.....EXACTLY WHAT HAPPEN IN GADSON'S MATCH.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Uhhh..... This is not good. The way Jackson recruited I am pretty sure he was planning on using Gadsen for all 4 of these years. Yikes.

Bulk up Cole Shafer to wrestle 197, since we had Boaz come back unexpectedly.

Still have Tanner Weatherman and Tyler Christensen. And next year Jesse Doyle will be here and a possible 184/197 2 years from now. I still hope to get something out of Gadsen next year, but can't bet on it.