KXNO's "local" radio

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I get into my car at about 4:15 to drive home from work, figured I'd give Marty & Miller a listen (first mistake) to hear to about either Iowa State or Iowa's 2nd conference game. (because KXNO promotes this show as local). And what do I hear? NFL talk. The day after an Iowa State AND Iowa basketball game...25 minutes into the show...and I get NFL talk. I thought this is supposed to be a local show? I'd listen to more Fox Sports Radio, ESPN radio, Sporting News radio if I wanted NFL talk the day after 2 Iowa teams play conference games...

I'm done with M&M. Again. Forever.

I'm emailing the program director (if I can figure out who to send to) right after this.

KXNO has a whopping 5 hours (3 of Cotlar and 2 of Jon Miller) of local radio...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Problem is Marty is still on the east coast. So all he wants to talk about is the NFL or baseball. He seems to get thrills from talking about it - merely to annoy Miller and the listeners.

Somewhere along the line, Marty wasn't dealt a full deck.

I really enjoy Ken Miller though. 'Bout the only reason to listen to that time slot.

I like Jon Miller too. Wouldn't a Miller and Miller show be interesting (call it...Miller Time)?

Somewhat like the show Jon and Steve have on Mediacom - yet on radio.

Perhaps give Jon 2 hours alone, Jon and Ken for 2 hours and then Ken alone for 2 hours...or whatever the time slots add up to. Could be fun.

And no more Marty! :)

Last edited:

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I enjoy the show way more than I did Deace's, I like the fact that they talk about things that are not just local, I love when they talk about Iowa State, but like the fact that they talk about things outside of Iowa Also. I think it is the best Local sports show on the air. It beats Cotalr, and it Beats Jon Miller, and it beats what Deace used to put on the air waves. At least we hear about Sports and not religion or politics. Plus they will have a whole segment about ISU today at 5pm when they have Paul Clark from Cyclone Report on to talk ISU athletics. He is on every Friday at 5pm, but they switched him to tonight for some reason.

Go Clones

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
KXNO is pretty mediocre radio too. I don't mind Cotlar but he can be an idiot sometimes and I hate his Thursday and Friday entertainment segments. They have no business on a sports talk show. Jon Miller can be somewhat of a homer and outside of Iowa athletics he's not the brightest. And M&M can just sometimes be plain pathetic. Marty mostly. Yes I know their job is to stir the pot but sometimes all they do is argue back and forth with each other and you may hear 1 caller in a 20 minute segment then they bring on mostly non-local guests to talks about non-local sports. They do sometimes have non-local guys on to talk local sports but only when there is big news discuss usually. I do like to hear some national sports talk too but I don't want it to dominate when college FB and basketball seasons are full swing.

Really need some more local sports talk options to make these guys earn their pay...

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
You caught it at the wrong time. They opened the show talking about the basketball games. GMac is on in the 6 o'clock hour.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I really want to listen to local sports radio but when it is not local, why should I?

I wanted to give M&M another chance but yesterday was the same thing.

I was hoping for some Iowa State/Iowa game talk and at 4:30 we got HOF baseball.

Does anyone know the ratings M&M get? Can KXNO not find ANYTHING better?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree that having a local show that pays attention to things outside Iowa is good.

Yet the day after a big Cyclone win and a close Iowa loss - both conference games - you'd think that would be the hot topic. Even with the NFL playoffs coming up. But instead - the NFL leads. They have tomorrow to gear up for the playoff weekend.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
You caught it at the wrong time. They opened the show talking about the basketball games. GMac is on in the 6 o'clock hour.

I figured I did...however many, many people drive home between 4:30 and 5:30...put the national stuff into the 6-7 timeslot.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Its prob. because they had paul Clark on at 5. I left work at 5, and the whole ride home (20 mins.) all they talked was about the game last night. And yesterday at 5, they had John Walters on for 20 misn talking Cyclone basketball. Honestly, you are just listeing to the show at the wrong time.

On the NFL, come on, its the playoffs, and many people want to talk playoffs. I enjoy their show, because of the variety they throw at you. I cant even begin to tell you how many times I have wanted to slap Marty across the head, but I give them both respect, and I think they do a great job with their show!

Last edited:

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Keep in mind, by the time Marty & Miller take the air, it's 4pm, a good 21 hours after the start of the ISU game (in other words, in the world of basketball when you're playing 2 or 3 games a week, it's old news) and i'm sure Cotlar and Jon Miller did some talking about the game, but don't know as M&M is the only show I listen to on KXNO.

Lindy

Jun 14, 2006
Jon Miller's show is virtually all local. I think Marty and Miller must simply feel it would be virtually impossible to do 5 hours straight of local talk. And regardless, there was plenty of Cyclone talk yesterday. The first segment of hour one was about the two basketball games from the previous night. The second hour started with Paul Clark. The third hour started with G Mac. Frankly, I'm not sure what more they could have done to satisfy your Cyclone Jones.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Jon Miller's show is virtually all local. I think Marty and Miller must simply feel it would be virtually impossible to do 5 hours straight of local talk. And regardless, there was plenty of Cyclone talk yesterday. The first segment of hour one was about the two basketball games from the previous night. The second hour started with Paul Clark. The third hour started with G Mac. Frankly, I'm not sure what more they could have done to satisfy your Cyclone Jones.

I didn't hear any of it. 4:30 to 5:00 must be their national talk because that's all I ever hear.

BigDISU1

Apr 10, 2006
Oskaloosa, Iowa
Yesterday on the John Miller show they had 2 main topics of discussion:

1.) Who would you rather have, Tyler Smith or Wesley Johnson

2.) Who is in a better position for the future, ISU or Iowa. He said he actually got the idea from our very own CycloneFanatic Forums, specifically this thread- http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4959

The worst part was when some hawk fan called in and suggested that the reason ISU was in a worse position was because we graduate to many farmers who couldn't contribute to the athletic programs financially like the Iowa grads could to the hawkeye program.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yesterday on the John Miller show they had 2 main topics of discussion:

1.) Who would you rather have, Tyler Smith of Wesley Johnson

2.) Who is in a better position for the future, ISU or Iowa. He said he actually got the idea from our very own CycloneFanatic Forums, specifically this thread- http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4959

The worst part was when some hawk fan called in and suggested that the reason ISU was in a worse position was because we graduate to many farmers who couldn't contribute to the athletic programs financially like the Iowa grads could to the hawkeye program.

That's a dumb thing for a Hawk fan to say. The College of Engineering at ISU is one of the better ones in the country and has been growing substantially. Last time I checked engineers make a pretty decent living. Also the college of business has really taken off too and there are some lucrative jobs to be had by those grads as well.

The biggest difference is there are more "casual" Iowa fans that did not go to the university than there are casual ISU fans. This is where you get the additional money. Iowa on a national level has been the state's most recognizable university. That is what we are trying to change at ISU and make it more like Oklahoma/Oklahoma State where both schools are on the map nationally on a consistent basis. OU still probably has a slight edge over OSU because of their FB program but I bet OSU and OU atheletic budgets are much more closer than Iowa and ISU's are.

BigDISU1

Apr 10, 2006
Oskaloosa, Iowa
That's a dumb thing for a Hawk fan to say. The College of Engineering at ISU is one of the better ones in the country and has been growing substantially. Last time I checked engineers make a pretty decent living. Also the college of business has really taken off too and there are some lucrative jobs to be had by those grads as well.

The biggest difference is there are more "casual" Iowa fans that did not go to the university than there are casual ISU fans. This is where you get the additional money. Iowa on a national level has been the state's most recognizable university. That is what we are trying to change at ISU and make it more like Oklahoma/Oklahoma State where both schools are on the map nationally on a consistent basis. OU still probably has a slight edge over OSU because of their FB program but I bet OSU and OU athletic budgets are much more closer than Iowa and ISU's are.

thankfully, some ISU fans called in and set this guy straight. Alluded to the points you made (engineering/business department, ISU invented to computer etc.) and the casual fan makes more of a impact at Iowa than ISu

One caller did make a good point I think, and that is although ISU does graduate many students with opportunities for prominent careers (for example engineering), the State of Iowa has a hard time keeping these people in state. Many of the graduates, particually in the science and technology fields, do not stay in state. As a matter of fact, out of the 10 or so good engineering buddies I had at ISU, only 2 of us are currently practicing our profession in the state of Iowa after graduation. Obviously a person can contribute no matter where you reside, but I can imagine the farther you live from Ames, the less and less influence Cyclone athletics may have on you.

Last edited:

BigDISU1

Apr 10, 2006
Oskaloosa, Iowa
So what did the callers thinK? I know my opinion, but I probably pretty biased

i didn't hear all of the discussion, but from what I heard it was about what I expected.

ISU fans wanted Johnson
Iowa fans wanted Smith

Some did give ISU credit, becuase nobody heard of Johnson a year ago, and finding this "diamond in the rough" showed alot of insight from the ISU staff.

Last edited:

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Agree. M & M seem to talk a good blend of sports. I'm all for a lot of ISU talk, but Deace seemed to go full speed all the time creating ISU/Iowa rivalry talk. I realize his job was to spur Iowa/ISU controvesy but it got old after awhile.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Marty did mention about the game and gave great cudo's to the team and admitted that he is very surprised at the team sucess so far. Not only mentioning that Iowa State has surprised alot of people with the win at Missouri. He even gave wonderful prasies about Mcdermott.