KXNO Sports Fanatics

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I was listening yesterday and i think i kind of got a hold of what annoys me about "The Drive" (some stuff listed on this thread already).
1. I think Sean is pretty sharp sports wise and has decent takes. When he hosted a Saturday AM show i noticed he wasn't as "bro-y" and just talked sports with his co-host. I feel on The Drive he tends to still add too may "that's my guy, baby" or "That's what I'm talkin bout" or other cliche/bro type endings to sentences.
2. It seems Heather seems to still "parent" him or treat him like a dope/sidekick (which i don't think he is)
3. Often her takes SEEM to be stuff that we may easily get from a weak twitter take or borderline rumor feeling (like she may chime in with "Well Sean maybe that's because they don't allow XYZ into the arena" and it's not true...but he just is like "Man, I don't know, I thought they did"
4. SO, it seems often she will interrupt him and try to make him look dumb (and sometimes it is when he is actually saying something of substance) and he doesn't correct/argue with her....more just assumes the role of sidekick

Ok, that was overanalyzing, but listen for it and see if you agree.

With the amount of content available at your fingertips I don’t know why anyone would listen to garbage by choice.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I can’t decide if that show or The Morning Rush is worse. I listened to the beginning of The Drive yesterday to see if any ISU people would be on and they led with saying 5-0 would be on in a few minutes to talk about a shooting in DM. kthxbye.
It was one thing when the alternative was to listen to national radio shows talk about the NFL year round. Yes, I'd rather listen to crappy local radio than Colin Cowherd talk about "Dak, Zeke, Amari, Jerry..." for the millionth time. Then it was a slightly better thing, but still not great to have lots of pod options but those that were light on local sports content.

Now there's a lot of local pod options, so now there's really no good counter to the "if it sucks don't listen argument." Between national/regional shows that cover local sports teams and topics or locally-focused pods, the content and quality is there.

Reactions: Acylum

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
With the amount of content available at your fingertips I don’t know why anyone would listen to garbage by choice.

At this point I just say let them listen and complain… At least Sean and Heather are getting a paycheck that way!

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
At this point I just say let them listen and complain… At least Sean and Heather are getting a paycheck that way!

Stopped listening. It's terrible. They never stay on topic. Especially when they are supposed to be talking about ISU. It's just random stuff, and they usually have stupid takes on that random stuff.

Reactions: Acylum and I@ST1

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
If I had a longer commute, I might bother, but for the 10-15 minutes I'm going to or from work or out getting lunch, I'm not pulling anything up on my phone. I'll just spin around the dial and rarely stop on the local stuff on KXNO anymore for all of the reasons brought up here.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If I had a longer commute, I might bother, but for the 10-15 minutes I'm going to or from work or out getting lunch, I'm not pulling anything up on my phone. I'll just spin around the dial and rarely stop on the local stuff on KXNO anymore for all of the reasons brought up here.

You make it sound like you have to set up an antenna and wire up your phone to it. I turn on the truck. CarPlay comes on. I hit Spotify. It’s the same thing as dealing with the “radio”.

Reactions: CychiatricWard

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I will say Miller and Condon has become the best show on that network easily. They bring on ISU and Iowa personalities, regional pro sports personalities, and do gambling lines.

Actually the more I think of it, it's the only sports show still left on that network.
That's all Ken Miller, he's always had a really good lineup of guests on his various shows.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
You make it sound like you have to set up an antenna and wire up your phone to it. I turn on the truck. CarPlay comes on. I hit Spotify. It’s the same thing as dealing with the “radio”.
Not really. I can change stations without my eyes ever leaving the road or my hands the steering wheel. If there isn't anything in particularly I'm looking to listen to on Spotify, it's a little harder to skip around the "dial" to find something that interests me.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
That's all Ken Miller, he's always had a really good lineup of guests on his various shows.

I've heard back in the day Miller would be the one working his tail off to get guests/interviews lined up and done the research while Marty would just schmooze (better now known as con) advertisers.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Last week (or maybe two weeks ago) their ad for the show that day was that Sean got a new hoodie... riveting content.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
OK with it? It's a free segment promoting them. The time's I've listened it's a great opportunity for PP to spin stories from the PD's point of view. I haven't listened in a long time, but when I did, it just seemed like a DMPD propaganda segment.
That's a pretty accurate description

• Dumb
Reactions: jcisuclones

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
OK with it? It's a free segment promoting them. The time's I've listened it's a great opportunity for PP to spin stories from the PD's point of view. I haven't listened in a long time, but when I did, it just seemed like a DMPD propaganda segment.
I have always assumed it was a paid spot.