KXNO Sports Fanatics

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Every flippin Tuesday.... Such a horrible segment.
I've always wondered....do they (DM PD) pay for that as a community outreach?

Talk radio does a great job of making it seem people are just "friends of the show" but i'd be curious on how much Bruno pays for the numerous spots he is on each week.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I've always wondered....do they (DM PD) pay for that as a community outreach?

Talk radio does a great job of making it seem people are just "friends of the show" but i'd be curious on how much Bruno pays for the numerous spots he is on each week.

There is nothing more cringe to me than when Murph and Andy give gift cards to their media guests.

Reactions: CapnCy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It started as a good segment where people would actually call in with questions, but now it just seems like it’s the Des Moines weekly crime update with Travis over talking Paul every 5 seconds.

There are some really weird dudes that call into that show too.

"yeah hi 5-0. So to start things off, my ex has a restraining order on me but.."

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
There are some really weird dudes that call into that show too.

"yeah hi 5-0. So to start things off, my ex has a restraining order on me but.."
I remember that one lol. Honestly that was the most entertaining radio they've had on the morning show in years and that's not saying much.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I like Flattery a lot and I also like Emery but sometimes I think he's trying too hard.

• Agree
Reactions: RING4CY

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I think that we’re all a bit spoiled by how good the #9 station in the #71 radio market is/was.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Awkward morning when 5-0 is discussing a Prairie Meadows slot winner being robbed in her car and giving the details of the crime and the accused. A defense lawyer called in and was like "should you be talking about this, the jury pool could be tainted now after listening to this."

• Haha
Reactions: Inthesystem

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Awkward morning when 5-0 is discussing a Prairie Meadows slot winner being robbed in her car and giving the details of the crime and the accused. A defense lawyer called in and was like "should you be talking about this, the jury pool could be tainted now after listening to this."

It was already all over the news and media like 3 days ago, not sure why a segment on a tiny sports radio station would be much of a concern at this point?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It was already all over the news and media like 3 days ago, not sure why a segment on a tiny sports radio station would be much of a concern at this point?
Yeah don't know anything about the case/first I heard of it. When the caller said he was a lawyer it just got awkward.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I haven't read most of this thread so this has probably already been said, but here's my $.02.

I haven't listened to KXNO much since Chris left Fanatics. The dynamic he and Ross had was phenomenal. Unfortunately it can't be replicated. Both are very down to earth fans of their teams. If every hawk fan was like Ross I wouldn't have the deep hatred for Iowa like I do. He's realistic and funny. He's a pro. I tune in every now and then to hear him but I'm usually not a fan of either the topic or the other host.

Murph and Andy (and Andrew) are pretty spectacular. Des Moines is lucky to have this show. I don't listen as much in the summer but from mid-August through March this show is always on.

The morning show is a complete disaster with the exception of Sean. I think he has potential to move up in the industry.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ29

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
I would still be shocked if Sean didn't end up as Ross' full-time co-host, but nothing surprises me with that place at this point. Sean and I had it worked out for me to be his full-time co-host on Saturday mornings all the way back in November of last year and management was never able to get their end figured out so I could be paid for my time. I even did a whole month of shows without pay to prove we could do a really good show that warranted me being paid. Went on the road for the Big 12 and NCAA Tournaments in March and said I wouldn't go back on the air until the situation was resolved. I've been on that show once since (and I did it as a favor to Sean). Sean and I were bringing it up weekly all the way until CW left Fanatics and kept being told it would be done, "soon." I don't say any of that to bash the people in Des Moines. They want to get stuff done and they usually know how they can get it done, but their hands are tied by their corporate overlords. Those waters are difficult for everyone to navigate. iHeart just doesn't care about a small market like this when they've got national problems.

All that stuff with Sean and I came after he'd asked to have me as his co-host when the show started three or four years ago. It didn't work out then or when Z replaced Emery as his co-host. Sean really dug in for me the third time around and I think that really slowed the gears turning with getting anything done for that show. It really sucks because I know we would've done a damn good and super fun show for Saturday mornings, which is not what I'd call a glorified time slot. It is what it is now though.

I hope Sean gets the afternoons because he deserves the opportunity after everything he's given that company while getting paid minimum wage for most of the 10 or so years he's been working for them.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
If Sean does become Ross' co-host in the afternoons, I feel like the show needs to re-brand. For me, the Fanatics was an ISU and an Iowa fan discussing sports. Sean, an admitted Notre Dame fan, has no favor towards ISU and, in fact, I'd say he's more of a Hawkeye given his work on Sound Off.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
If Sean does become Ross' co-host in the afternoons, I feel like the show needs to re-brand. For me, the Fanatics was an ISU and an Iowa fan discussing sports. Sean, an admitted Notre Dame fan, has no favor towards ISU and, in fact, I'd say he's more of a Hawkeye given his work on Sound Off.
I don’t think there will ever be a co-host. It’s basically Ross and some friend of his talking about their HS days and their friends they have in common. Yesterday Ross had the Chadster on to talk hawks and Hines on to talk ISU. Chad got 16 minutes, Hines got about 8. Had Stanz on today to get the media day report and spent more time asking him how he parks his car than he did about media day. I think this is what they’ll roll with now. It’s terrible. I think the producer is some guy they just hired off the street.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron