KXNO Morning show

IAPrepGuy

Apr 30, 2010
Waukee
Whats going on with KXNO's morning show is a big topic on boards and etc all over central Iowa - but everyone wants to throw out names. I think this is being looked at wrong as the better question is what do people want?? That's what they're trying to figure out with the "KXNO's Got Talent" live auditions - which IMO is a great idea!

So what do people want from a new "team"? A clone and a hawk - or neither? Shock Jock? Normal guys with above average knowledge? Maybe a show with more time for callers? More football, less football? Solo, two man, or trifecta team? So forth and so on...

We all know the KXNO guys read the boards and have a good pulse on the listeners. So post what you want to hear in the near future....as an old political saying goes; "you can't ***** if you don't vote"

cjb1978

Apr 9, 2010
Des Moines, IA
They need a parrot and a monkey to do the show, would be the greatest two hours ever.

On a side note, looking forward to Monday from 6 am to 8 am.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I don't know for sure, I can wait for chemistry to develop but it certainly helps. I remember when Larry and Kushner were on that one station and I actually started liking them, deace and miller are close to my age so similar life and cultural experiences definitely made their humor ring home quite often.

So I would say I like pairs, and preferably with a mix of experiences.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
There can never be too much football!

I prefer a duo. Probably Clone or Hawk fans as opposed to outsiders who might not have the same passion most of us in these parts have. However, I would want them to be objective and tell it like it is for all teams as opposed to being a homer for their teams.

I enjoy when shows take calls. There might not be many early in the day, but then again, I wouldn't want a two hour show if mostly calls. If there's something going on that people want to talk about, open up the phones. Fan interaction - calls, emails - gives us more of an invested interest when listeners can take part in the show.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Whats going on with KXNO's morning show is a big topic on boards and etc all over central Iowa - but everyone wants to throw out names. I think this is being looked at wrong as the better question is what do people want?? That's what they're trying to figure out with the "KXNO's Got Talent" live auditions - which IMO is a great idea!

So what do people want from a new "team"? A clone and a hawk - or neither? Shock Jock? Normal guys with above average knowledge? Maybe a show with more time for callers? More football, less football? Solo, two man, or trifecta team? So forth and so on...

We all know the KXNO guys read the boards and have a good pulse on the listeners. So post what you want to hear in the near future....as an old political saying goes; "you can't ***** if you don't vote"

I couldn't disagree more, I think it's a terrible idea. It reminds me of around 2004 when reality shows like the apprenctice were just taking off. Deace tried his hand at doing it for Cyclone Nation with "The Reporter" or whatever the hell it was called. He had people coming on KXNO and trying various challenges. It was a disaster and I think abruptly he just ended it. The fact that KXNO didn't have a back up plan in place knowing that Deace and Miller weren't doing this forever speaks to the complete lack of radio talent in Des Moines. Without Chris on board I see this being another Cotlar and Company which ranged from terrible to unlistenable.

Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
IMO, the best morning sports shows do NOT rely on callers much, if at all. Look at the landscape nationally. It seems personalilities drive morning shows.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Well, I would prefer a show with only neutral or Cyclone fans. In general, Iowa State fans on the radio tend to be a little more realistic and less annoying then the Hawk fans that are sure that every year they are the #1 team in the country.

I'd love to see Chris, but apparently he doesn't want it. Then I would love to see Blum get a chance if he wants it. Ben Bruns would probably have a smart show, too bad he already has a good day job. I am probably in the minority, but I like Chuck Reed.

I heard yesterday that Bobby Hanson and Tim Dwight are being considered. I am pretty sure Tim Dwight is an idiot, so that would be annoying. I would also be annoyed if that Tim Dyer guy that used to do radio got it.

I'm guessing that they don't want anyone that they actually have to hire as a FT employee, so that leaves someone with another job somewhere, who wants to get up for a 6:00 am show.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Oh, and I'd like to see a show that actually gets guests on it.

I was hot and cold on Steve and Jon's show. More often than not, they annoyed me when talking about local stuff. But I did enjoy listening to them talk about national sports. But I think they would have been less annoying if they had had guests on since then they wouldn't have spent so much time talking about conference expansion and how we were going to be killed.

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
I like two people on the show and will not listen if it is some hawkeye shill. There are already too many of those on DSM talk radio and looking forward to a fresh set of people that are not little eleven shills...

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Oh, and I'd like to see a show that actually gets guests on it.

I was hot and cold on Steve and Jon's show. More often than not, they annoyed me when talking about local stuff. But I did enjoy listening to them talk about national sports. But I think they would have been less annoying if they had had guests on since then they wouldn't have spent so much time talking about conference expansion and how we were going to be killed.

Probably hard to do at that time.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Speaking from experience, it is tough to get other media members up at that time. Media guys generally late sleepers because most work late nights. However, I think that coaches actually prefer morning interviews to get them out of the way. Most of those guys are in the office well before 8 during the season.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Probably hard to do at that time.

Cotler got guests in that time slot. For all of his annoying tendences he got guests.

I'm pretty sure that the Iowa State coaches would come on. Maybe not Rhoads, but the coordinators would. I'm guessing Fennelly and Hoiberg would. Also, Cotler always had Eric Heft on. I bet John Walters would. I bet Bruns would.

So there I've listed a short list of Iowa State guys. Obviously you could have Iowa people. Plus, you could always find guests from other teams.

IAPrepGuy

Apr 30, 2010
Waukee
I couldn't disagree more, I think it's a terrible idea. It reminds me of around 2004 when reality shows like the apprenctice were just taking off. Deace tried his hand at doing it for Cyclone Nation with "The Reporter" or whatever the hell it was called. He had people coming on KXNO and trying various challenges. It was a disaster and I think abruptly he just ended it. The fact that KXNO didn't have a back up plan in place knowing that Deace and Miller weren't doing this forever speaks to the complete lack of radio talent in Des Moines. Without Chris on board I see this being another Cotlar and Company which ranged from terrible to unlistenable.

I would assume they have trimmed the possiblities down to the few that have a legit shot - so it's diferent that what Deace tried to do. What if they have a team in mind, but they can't start until Oct 1?

Beings you think there is no talent in DM - what would you consider "talent"? The question of "what do you want in a new morning show" wasn't addressed in your prior post.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Van Coleman this morning, I think he's doing okay for day one.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
Chris I think we need a more formal setting for the reviews of the new hosts. If you get a good format I believe other people(non CFeers) who want to weigh in their opinions will sign up with CF to do so. We know that KXNO will be watching this boards for our opinions and you may as well get some pub out of it.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
This morning on my drive in I heard them go pretty far in-depth on the NFC Central which was good. Talked very little about the Chiefs even though the premise of their NFL discussion was teams that you were surprised to see at 2-0. I think the Chiefs deserved a little more time since there are so many Chief fans around here.

They spent all of three minutes discussing Iowa St before rolling into a 20 minute discussion on the Hawks loss which included breaking down play calling, taking phone calls, etc.

From what I gathered from their discussion; since ISU was in a position to win the game and didn't then there is little hope for a bowl game. Since Iowa was in a position to win the game and didn't they will be fine and there is no need to panic.

They said that Walters and Dolphin will both be on the program at some point in the morning but I didn't get to hear that portion. I would guess that Dolphin gets more specific questions about the game than Walters gets as they didn't seem to demonstrate very much knowledge about Iowa St.

Overall... meh. they were ok.