Kumla: Story City's Weird Food

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Ok, folks. It's that magical time of the year again in northwest Story County. It's Scandinavian Days this weekend in Story City. And that means plenty of Story City's signature weird food.

Time to find out how many of these you can put away in one sitting:

4354816748_27e32fd893_m.jpg

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
As my dad refers to them at my heavily Scandinavian church, Norwegian sinkers.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
Be careful, those babies will fill you up in a hurry! (They're like lead weights)

Be sure to find some Kringla -- good stuff! They look like doughy sweet pretzels. (My grandma - 100% Norwegian - has made thousands of them over the years)

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
My Grandma makes that every year for Christmas - so, as my Dad puts it, you have to eat at least one to stay in the will. Definately better than Lutefisk.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Unfortunately, the wife and I will have to miss Scandy Days this year. She is from Roland so we try to hit it every year, if we can.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
So in the dessert faceoff: spritz, kringla or lefsa?

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
Our little town in NE Story County has a big nnual kumla feed the first weekend in December. Since I'm more German, I prefer the alternate maidrite... I ate a kumla ball once. I think it's still in my stomach.
:confused:

Last I was in Harlan's (Story City grocery story) I think there was a sign that says they serve it every Thursday - in case you're in withdrawal.

I prefer abelskiver when forced to choose among Scandy foods!

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
My grandparents moved from Norway and I grew up around "Story" and on kumla, kringla, and lefsa!

BlondeCy

Jul 25, 2008
Do they have any Ostakaka? Its something between custard and cheese cake -- best with boisen or lignon berry sauce. My mom used to make it every Christmas along with spritz, swedish meatballs, pickled herring and a number of other Swedish favorites!

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Ok, folks. It's that magical time of the year again in northwest Story County. It's Scandinavian Days this weekend in Story City. And that means plenty of Story City's signature weird food.

Time to find out how many of these you can put away in one sitting:

4354816748_27e32fd893_m.jpg
The problem I have with that picture is that that does not look like ham broth!

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
One yummy word...lutefisk!!

They used to have Lutifisk at the Sons of Norway building, but it got too expensive. I once ate 5 kumla before a little league game. Love that stuff. I also am looking forward to the 4-H ring toss. Not sure why, but it is always a good time for the family.

My great-grandparents were directly from Norway and my grandma could read and speak Norwegian while I was growing up. I grew up with herringekakka (a family recipe like lefsa, but better), krumkakka, potato cakes, kringla and kumla. Good stuff!

I have also had lutefisk and fruit soup at the Waldorf Christmas concert.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
One yummy word...lutefisk!!

Yummy? This is one Norwegian who won't touch lutefisk. Did you know they use lye in the curing process? It smells awful enough just cooking it. My aunt and mother used to make it every year around Christmas time. They'd make oyster stew and chili (for those not into oysters and lutefisk) and a big plate of lefsa we'd have a big ole feed. I like the oyster stew, but can't stomach lutefisk.

Lutefisk is made from cod, which is an oily fish to begin with (cod liver oil), then they boil the tar out of it until it is literally the consistency of snot; the bones even become gelatinous. And if that weren't oily enough, they cover it in melted butter. It literally slides down your throat like a big yellow loogie. Yuck!

My German uncle ate the lion's share of the lutefisk at those gatherings. He couldn't get enough of it. Nobody else ate more than one small portion, just to try it to see if it had gotten any better since last year.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Hmm, looks different.

Rumor has it, it's the best around. I'll take their word for it.
I only touch the stuff once in a blue moon.

I am a fat guy. I can put away a large pizza or 30 hot wings with nothing holding me back besides guilt.

I can't eat more than 3 of these things. There's a contest at the Outlet Mall on Saturday I believe. They need to get the Scandinavian Kumla Eating Contest on the IFOCE circuit.

10 of these things would make Joey Chestnut hurl.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Rumor has it, it's the best around. I'll take their word for it.
I only touch the stuff once in a blue moon.

I am a fat guy. I can put away a large pizza or 30 hot wings with nothing holding me back besides guilt.

I can't eat more than 3 of these things. There's a contest at the Outlet Mall on Saturday I believe. They need to get the Scandinavian Kumla Eating Contest on the IFOCE circuit.

10 of these things would make Joey Chestnut hurl.

What time is the contest?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron