KU Forum Really Hates Iowa State - Sweet 16 Regional in Chicago

Any chance that you are rooting for KU to win over Providence?

• Yeah, hard NO

Votes: 294 78.8%
  • Sure?

Votes: 79 21.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
If you read enough threads in the Phog, you will find that the Clones are the least hated of the other teams in the Big 12 by KU fans.
I think there are other programs that KU fans have less animosity towards than ISU for sure. Mostly due to the fact that we have a lot of "interactions" as a fan base due to ISU being the only other school in the conference with consistently loyal fans.

Reactions: VeloClone

Ayagi

Sep 27, 2021

Apparently KU and ISU are about to be overwhelmed by our new KSU EMAW overlords. I'm pretty scared.

• Haha
Reactions: RezClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Apparently KU and ISU are about to be overwhelmed by our new KSU EMAW overlords. I'm pretty scared.

austin-powers.gif

• Love
Reactions: Ayagi

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I wanted ISU to win because they're in the Big 12 and because the coaches have already scouted them successfully twice this season. Self has had issues getting his game plans solidified for Elite games. It is his weak spot. That doesn't mean I think ISU would have been easier to be than Miami. It just means the game plan portion would be one place KU didn't have to stress and could just stress about making shots and getting stops.
I give KU credit for exploiting ISU's inability to finish goaltended shots that touch the backboard first. :jimlad:

Just giving ya s**t about "twice", but I get what you mean.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
On a related note, what’s with all of the K-State fan hate for us? Seems like they’re all over Twitter trying to take shots at us in both football and basketball. Weird obsession.

Others have already accurately answered, but I'm in agreement that it's jealousy. They hate Campbell and the positive coverage that ISU has received the last few years. That used to be them, and now they have a coach they don't totally believe in.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Others have already accurately answered, but I'm in agreement that it's jealousy. They hate Campbell and the positive coverage that ISU has received the last few years. That used to be them, and now they have a coach they don't totally believe in.
It is interesting that the twitter hatred has increased by K-State fans the past year or two. I understand being a bit jealous but some of their fans are obsessed with hating on Iowa State.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone and Ayagi

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Tang has some good recruiting connections and has a track record of bringing in some quality talent at Baylor. If he can do that at KSU they will be a problem.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Iowa fan if the football game is in Ames:
'Just follow the farm smell ____ miles and you'll find it!'

1. That describes almost every single town in Iowa. Even downtown Des Moines is what, 10 minutes from farmland?

2. It's a dig at the state these people live in that has deep roots in farming.
Never underestimate EIU's deep-seeded need to distance themselves from Iowa's farming roots. They have a long track record of it. Here's my thoughts on it:

1) It's elitist AF, which suits them perfectly.

2) In order to justify that mentality, your athletic department would have to be wildly more successful than ISU, which is a laughably unattainable goal (especially with the parody in modern college athletics), and it sets Hok fans up for eternal insecure frustration. If ISU can produce similar or better results at any point, what does that say about EIU?

3) Good luck getting people nationally to buy what you're selling. You are asking people who generally don't give much thought to the state to distinguish "Iowa State" and "Iowa" as hickish farmers and not hickish non-famers, respectively. That's simply never going to happen.

4) Farming as a whole is nothing to be ashamed of. It's a respectable and stable bedrock financially speaking. Would you rather our state be an uglier West Virgina?

I get a real kick out of the idea that Hoks seem to truly envision a scenario where people around the country are going to go, "Oh, you're a Hokeye fan? I hear it's nothing but skyscrapers, doctors, and lawyers over there! Yup, I hear eastern Iowa is a beacon of advanced post-agricultral civilization. Unlike those backwards hillbillies from slightly to west of you! Let me buy you a craft beer!"

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
On a related note, what’s with all of the K-State fan hate for us? Seems like they’re all over Twitter trying to take shots at us in both football and basketball. Weird obsession.
For those who haven't seen this video, I promise it's worth a watch. He gets into the meat of why EMAW's hate/jealousy just short of 1:00 in, but the whole beginning of the video is glorious to listen to and gives a little unfiltered insight into the KSU mindset re: ISU

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

It seems like it really took off a couple years ago when we got picked over them for the bowl in Orlando

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Never underestimate EIU's deep-seeded need to distance themselves from Iowa's farming roots. They have a long track record of it. Here's my thoughts on it:

1) It's elitist AF, which suits them perfectly.

2) In order to justify that mentality, your athletic department would have to be wildly more successful than ISU, which is a laughably unattainable goal (especially with the parody in modern college athletics), and it sets Hok fans up for eternal insecure frustration. If ISU can produce similar or better results at any point, what does that say about EIU?

3) Good luck getting people nationally to buy what you're selling. You are asking people who generally don't give much thought to the state to distinguish "Iowa State" and "Iowa" as hickish farmers and not hickish non-famers, respectively. That's simply never going to happen.

4) Farming as a whole is nothing to be ashamed of. It's a respectable and stable bedrock financially speaking. Would you rather our state be an uglier West Virgina?

I get a real kick out of the idea that Hoks seem to truly envision a scenario where people around the country are going to go, "Oh, you're a Hokeye fan? I hear it's nothing but skyscrapers, doctors, and lawyers over there! Yup, I hear eastern Iowa is a beacon of advanced post-agricultral civilization. Unlike those backwards hillbillies from slightly to west of you! Let me buy you a craft beer!"

134-785-Back.jpg

• Funny
  • Creative
Reactions: RezClone and t-noah

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Just dumping this here since it is KU and basketball. Wilt was an outstanding athlete, not just a great basketball player.

That's cool. A lot of footage I don't recall seeing (or seeing recently).

For high jump, I don't know which is more jarring from timeframe/nostalgia perspective: that they used sand pits or that it was pre-Fosbury roll-style.

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Reactions: JP4CY and Frak

Help Support Us

Become a patron