Know your opponent - Tulsa

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
I thought I'd give everyone some homework. The fun kind, though. Here's some stuff I ran across for your reading enjoyment. I summarized some interesting parts as well. I'm so jacked up for this game to get here!

Scout Preview

EXCERPTS - The Hurricane’s biggest challenge for 2012 will be to replace G.J. Kinne, the linchpin for its success in recent seasons. Stepping into the hot seat will be former Nebraska Husker—and four-star recruit—Cody Green, who pulled ahead of Kalen Henderson in the closely-watched duel in the spring. Historically, as the quarterback goes, so goes Tulsa, meaning there’ll be an awful lot of pressure on Green to deliver in his first season on the job.

MORE - Scout.com: 2012 Tulsa Preview - The Hidden Gem

Tulsa future OOC schedule

EXCERPTS - In recent years, Tulsa has played a difficult schedule with games against Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas and Boise State among the featured opponents. All four of the Golden Hurricane's regular-season losses last year came to top 10 opponents. Tulsa also won at Notre Dame two years ago.

MORE - Tulsa to tangle with Ohio State in 2016 - NCAA - SI.com

Opposing Views Preview

EXCERPTS - Tulsa had 200 plays of 10 yards or more in 2011. Tulsa's secondary has the most experience of any position on the field.

MORE - 2012 College Football Season Preview: Tulsa Golden Hurricane

Maddox Sports Preview

EXCERPTS - The running game should be great, as they return 3 of their top 4 rushers. Everyone except QB Kinne returns. The offensive line lost three starters (including all-conference guard Clint Anderson), but returns 3 players with starting experience. The top linebacker is Shawn Jackson, originally recruited as a quarterback. Jackson was honorable mention All-Conference last year with 101 tackles, 11 for loss, 4.5 sacks, 2 interceptions, and 5 pass breakups.

MORE - 2012 Tulsa Golden Hurricane Football Preview | Maddux Sports

Rant Sports Preview

EXCERPTS - While Tulsa prefers to throw first, RBs Douglas and Watts should certainly be productive enough to keep opposing defenses honest. Wideouts Willie Carter and Bryan Burnham should be the primary pass catchers for Greene, or whomever emerges as the Tulsa signal caller. Both guys had 800+ yards receiving in 2011, and tallied 16 touchdowns between them in the high-octane offense.

MORE - 2012 Tulsa Golden Hurricane Football Preview : Laces Out

Dixie Fried Sports Preview

EXCERPTS - The defense allowed 30.3 ppg in last season, but that number is inflated a bit by the competition. Tulsa faced 3 of the top 5 scoring offenses in 2011 and 4 of the top 10. 7 starters will return from last year's unit and 3 of the other 4 starters are seniors.

Losing Cornelius Arnick at middle linebacker will be tough, but Shawn Jackson does return after being second on the team in tackles. The defensive line is full of experience with 4 seniors starting upfront, something that should benefit Tulsa in its 4-3 scheme.

MORE - Tulsa Preview

College Sports Maddness Preview

EXCERPTS -
Strengths - Tulsa’s offense has been one of the most feared in the nation for many years and is clearly their biggest asset. Tulsa is able to control the tempo of the game and force opponents to get into a track meet with them, playing right into their hands as most teams simply can not keep up.

Weaknesses - The Golden Hurricanes defense was unable to keep up with the blistering pace of their offense and turned Tulsa’s games into high scoring affairs. They allowed over 27 points per game, but were primarily abused through the air, ranking 117th in the nation in passing yards allowed per game.

MORE - #80 Tulsa Football 2012 Preview | College Sports Madness

InsideTulsaSports TU offense dominates scrimmage

Excerpts - "I like where we are," said TU head coach Bill Blankenship. "Every time we come off the field, one group or the other is not very happy, and that's the nature of the offense and defense competing. Today, the defense isn't happy. The offense got the better of them, but as a team, we're really getting better." While the defense didn't have its best day, it got a spark when junior linebacker Donnell Hawkins intercepted a tipped pass and took it 33 yards for a touchdown.

MORE InsideTulsaSports.com - TU offense dominates scrimmage

Reactions: Baffan

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
i would rather play a cupcake in week one. Came out sloppy vs. UNI last year so I'm a bit worried. Any directional school would be a better first game than Tulsa. Kansas St. uses the cupcake model and they have been successful.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
i would rather play a cupcake in week one. Came out sloppy vs. UNI last year so I'm a bit worried. Any directional school would be a better first game than Tulsa. Kansas St. uses the cupcake model and they have been successful.

Southern Cal it is!

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
Southern Cal it is!
wrong01.jpg

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Hope whoever is our starting QB comes out hot! But i would fully enjoy watching us run it down their throats so i hope that happens

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

No ****. What do you think they were trying to do by scheduling Tulsa when they did it roughly 8 or so years ago? We have been incredibly unlucky in terms of bad schools becoming really good just in time for us to play them in non conference. Look at Utah, Uconn, Northern Illinois, and now Tulsa.

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
No ****. What do you think they were trying to do by scheduling Tulsa when they did it roughly 8 or so years ago? We have been incredibly unlucky in terms of bad schools becoming really good just in time for us to play them in non conference. Look at Utah, Uconn, Northern Illinois, and now Tulsa.

Exactly right. (I must spread rep around.)

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
Although I'm very excited about our D, in the first game with some rust this could still turn into a shootout. It concerns me until I see our offense can light it up. Should be interesting!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think Tulsa will be a good challenge to ISU, but I do agree the Golden Hurricane mascot is really bad. he looks like you need to stuff his head between two gram crackers and a hersey bar...

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

Yep, we've had extremely bad luck in bad schools becoming good just as we play them. Who had the longest streak of non-winnning seasons in the nation until we started playing them?

Baffan

Aug 22, 2007
Ames, IA
Thanks for providing the info Ciclone. It's nice to be able to go to one post and find all those reviews. I haven't read all those reviews yet but it sounds like their safety Dexter McCoil will play to their advantage in our game with being able to cover the receivers and stop the run, especially since we are spreading the field but remain a run first offense.

Also sounds like it will be important for us to limit Willie Carter from touching the ball since he plays so many roles we definitely don't want to give them the opportunity to burn us by changing his role mid-game and us not being ready for it.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA

Yeah, but if you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best. Playing patsies doesn't do a lot to get us ready for the Big 12.

IMO, it will be much easier for the team to get "up" for a quality opponent, rather than someone we're expected to beat. Plus, a win here gives us a lot of momentum going into the Squawkeye game!!

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Yeah, but if you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best. Playing patsies doesn't do a lot to get us ready for the Big 12.

IMO, it will be much easier for the team to get "up" for a quality opponent, rather than someone we're expected to beat. Plus, a win here gives us a lot of momentum going into the Squawkeye game!!

It might be easier to get "up" but its also a lot easier to get beat. Neither Iowa State, or Tulsa is the "best" by a long shot but, IMO we are expected to beat them.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Pass the ball, their pass D sucks.

I realize that statistically their pass D was terrible but the experience they bring back to defensive backfield worries me a little. I think it would be better run some and eat up the clock to keep it out of their offense's hand.

I also hope that our defense is able to get to Green and rattle him. Being his first game in a while I could see that he might make some bad choices when he is forced.