Klenakis impact

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Note to CPR. Take a lesson from the mayor and contact all 3 immediately. I'm sure we'll still be in need of good linemen in 2 years.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
"You got to run those tanks. Burn a little tread off them. Then run them some more."

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Hopefully having a new OL coach that the players enjoy playing for will give them an extra boost to play beyond their potential. It seems like they had the desire to play last year destroyed by a coach they didn't like. That is a good sign for this year.

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
How hard is it to get along with your players? You think these coaches would take notes from Rhoads or a Hoiberg. Some coaches are just too damn old school. Kids don't like old school coaches anymore. They want someone they can laugh with. Have fun at practice with.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
They can take notes from Hoiberg but Rhoads isn't known by anyone on the football team as a player's coach. He's from the "hard work makes you successful and if you're failing you need to work harder" mentality and it doesn't resonate with the players.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
He's from the "hard work makes you successful and if you're failing you need to work harder" mentality and it doesn't resonate with the players.

If that didn't resonate with the players, they'd have to be complete morons. Which is why I believe you are full of crap. Hard work is precisely what makes someone successful, and if you aren't succeeding it is 100% correct that you DO need to work harder.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
They can take notes from Hoiberg but Rhoads isn't known by anyone on the football team as a player's coach. He's from the "hard work makes you successful and if you're failing you need to work harder" mentality and it doesn't resonate with the players.

So in other words Rhoads is of the common sense mentality? and that doesn't resonate with the players?

I'm going to go ahead and call BS on that. If that were true I would say we need new players.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I remember at one point we wanted to promote him into OC.

I would think that this addition by subtraction and Mangino (who has had his run-ins in the past, but I would imagine Rhoads and him had a long talk and he's on a very short lease when it comes to player discipline) would have to turn the offense around pretty quickly.

Too bad it is just in time for a transitonary period for the defense. I trust Wally to throw something competent together, however. Should be interesting.

No more cynical comments from somebody (ahem couldn't possibly be me) in Morgantown at the end of the first-quarter, "hooray basketball season time now!"

Both that game and that basketball season ended way better than I expected. :)

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
I'm sure CPR works the kids hard, but the difference is he sticks up for the kids and treats them well. So the kids play hard for him. Sounds like coach K was just a complete *****.

Hard work + good guy = successful
Hard work + **** = unsuccessful

Last edited by a moderator:

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I would have to think that our offense HAS to be better this year. An incompetent OC, players who hated their position coach, injuries... Maybe we should be surprised we won 3 games. Maybe our talent level is better than they showed last year and the dysfunction held us back. I'm hoping, anyway.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

Doesn't resonate? Every time a player speaks of Rhoads, they speak highly. Completely different than when they spoke of Klenakis.

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM
How hard is it to get along with your players? You think these coaches would take notes from Rhoads or a Hoiberg. Some coaches are just too damn old school. Kids don't like old school coaches anymore. They want someone they can laugh with. Have fun at practice with.

Especially when as I have found out, the relationships with players can be the best part of coaching. You have a job to do but that job is a lot easier when they don't hate you.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

This is an idiotic post. Yes Rhoads preaches hard work but the players love him because they know he actually cares about them and will fight for them. And yes the work hard mentality does resonate with the players.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
This is an idiotic post. Yes Rhoads preaches hard work but the players love him because they know he actually cares about them and will fight for them. And yes the work hard mentality does resonate with the players.

Guess the gridiron club needs to buy CPR an Xbox and lessons so he can actually learn to "bond" with kids of that generation. Way better to hang out with your players and play pong or atari or galaga than work hard to make the program and all the participants successful at life stuff.

What the kids need is a trophy (maybe just a ribbon) for participation... That will make them feel special! Throw in a pizza party once in a while and CPR will be just one of the guys... Straight from the Saban book of Excellence!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron