Klenakis impact

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
So in other words Rhoads is of the common sense mentality? and that doesn't resonate with the players?

I'm going to go ahead and call BS on that. If that were true I would say we need new players.

Over working the players is common sense? Have you seen how terrible they've played over the last year and a half?

You can call BS all you want, but what he is saying is correct. I find it interesting how infallible Rhoads is to a lot of people on here. You don't go on a 1-12 stretch because you are doing everything correctly.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Over working the players is common sense? Have you seen how terrible they've played over the last year and a half?

You can call BS all you want, but what he is saying is correct. I find it interesting how infallible Rhoads is to a lot of people on here. You don't go on a 1-12 stretch because you are doing everything correctly.

There is no doubt that CPR has not made all the right moves in terms of hires, but the Mangino one to me is a home run. Unfortunately, when you hire a guy that has never been a head coach before there are going to be some growing pains. Danny Mac made some much worse choices in his first couple years than CPR did. CPR also has had really bad luck in terms of injuries and players not showing up. What happened with the OL at ISU last year alone would have ruined any teams season.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
There is no doubt that CPR has not made all the right moves in terms of hires, but the Mangino one to me is a home run. Unfortunately, when you hire a guy that has never been a head coach before there are going to be some growing pains. Danny Mac made some much worse choices in his first couple years than CPR did. CPR also has had really bad luck in terms of injuries and players not showing up. What happened with the OL at ISU last year alone would have ruined any teams season.

I've felt for quite awhile now that Rhoads biggest weakness are his management skills. Solid football coach, but an absolutely terrible manager.

Some of the mistakes he's made in terms of staffing can be chalked up to inexperience, but some of the other issues are purely ego based errors which have lead to the bottoming out of the program.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If you expect current players to throw their coach under the bus publicly you're out of your damn mind.

However, what the OL ******* about with Klenakis is along the same lines as the team sees from Coach Rhoads. Klenakis worked them into the ground. Coach Rhoads puts too much pressure on and when they're winning games it's because they're working hard so he works them harder in practice to make them better. When they're losing games it's because they aren't working hard enough so he works them harder in practice. You can't take a team with very little depth compared to the teams it plays against and work it into the ground. That's why we seem to have a lot more injuries than other teams do. They're overworked.

When a team is banged up and struggling to tackle properly, you can't have the defense going full speed and hitting the scout team. Do they need reps? Absolutely. Do they also need to be given a chance to recover more than just watching film on Sunday? Yes. Hopefully the leadership team for this year helps the coaching staff understand the physical health and psyche of the team.

Staffing mistakes happen. Going on a 3 game losing streak and deciding that you need to make practice an hour longer isn't a good move when your team is beat down and lacks depth. Telling your star player that he's being selfish by getting season-ending surgery done to try and be healthy for the next step of his life is garbage.

Hoiberg is an unbelievable coach all around. Coach Rhoads does a great job with coaching strategy. The recruiting is underwhelming and there's only so much you can coach players up. Personnel-wise he's made some catastrophic errors in judgment. Some of that is inexperience, some of it is pressure he puts on himself and misdirects at the players. The first is acceptable, the second is not.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
If you expect current players to throw their coach under the bus publicly you're out of your damn mind.

However, what the OL ******* about with Klenakis is along the same lines as the team sees from Coach Rhoads. Klenakis worked them into the ground. Coach Rhoads puts too much pressure on and when they're winning games it's because they're working hard so he works them harder in practice to make them better. When they're losing games it's because they aren't working hard enough so he works them harder in practice. You can't take a team with very little depth compared to the teams it plays against and work it into the ground. That's why we seem to have a lot more injuries than other teams do. They're overworked.

When a team is banged up and struggling to tackle properly, you can't have the defense going full speed and hitting the scout team. Do they need reps? Absolutely. Do they also need to be given a chance to recover more than just watching film on Sunday? Yes. Hopefully the leadership team for this year helps the coaching staff understand the physical health and psyche of the team.

Staffing mistakes happen. Going on a 3 game losing streak and deciding that you need to make practice an hour longer isn't a good move when your team is beat down and lacks depth. Telling your star player that he's being selfish by getting season-ending surgery done to try and be healthy for the next step of his life is garbage.

Hoiberg is an unbelievable coach all around. Coach Rhoads does a great job with coaching strategy. The recruiting is underwhelming and there's only so much you can coach players up. Personnel-wise he's made some catastrophic errors in judgment. Some of that is inexperience, some of it is pressure he puts on himself and misdirects at the players. The first is acceptable, the second is not.

I assume you are referring to Knott, in which case I really wonder how you know this?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Klenakis was nuts. It was amusing at first, but clearly didn't work for our team. Sounds like he is just continuing his ways.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Klenakis was nuts. It was amusing at first, but clearly didn't work for our team. Sounds like he is just continuing his ways.

Yeah, we all saw that first spring video and liked his passion. Then you started hearing that is was just way too much.

My hope is that Mangino, if needed, can back things off. Rhoads is in a position right now where if Mangino comes in and says, "Hey, we need to back off a little," Rhoads has to listen. The problem there is that I don't think that Mangino is of a much different mold.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah, we all saw that first spring video and liked his passion. Then you started hearing that is was just way too much.

My hope is that Mangino, if needed, can back things off. Rhoads is in a position right now where if Mangino comes in and says, "Hey, we need to back off a little," Rhoads has to listen. The problem there is that I don't think that Mangino is of a much different mold.

Yeah, I'll admit that I bought into the unique style of Klenakis, but clearly it didn't work. I don't think it is a matter of "backing off," but more about "being smarter." Clearly, Farniok and the others don't mind working really hard. It is a tribute to them that they did their jobs and honored their coach. These guys literally offered their bodies for the team. That is commendable. I expect them to be working just as hard this year, but to get much better results and far fewer injuries.

But what do I know? I liked Klenakis at first!

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010

It's interesting when you look back to when that conversation (if you want to to call it that) occurred, you can basically point to the exact moment when the wheels began to fall off of the Rhoads gameplan. I hadn't really realized it until it was pointed out to me, but the program really took a turn for the worse the moment Knott walked out of that office.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's interesting when you look back to when that conversation (if you want to to call it that) occurred, you can basically point to the exact moment when the wheels began to fall off of the Rhoads gameplan. I hadn't really realized it until it was pointed out to me, but the program really took a turn for the worse the moment Knott walked out of that office.

9-19 since the Oklahoma State game, 4-13 since Knott's last game. Those are ugly records all around.

I'm hoping that CPR can get this thing rolling, but it might very well be true that the success was Jake Knott's (and AJK), with the staff along for the ride.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
9-19 since the Oklahoma State game, 4-13 since Knott's last game. Those are ugly records all around.

I'm hoping that CPR can get this thing rolling, but it might very well be true that the success was Jake Knott's (and AJK), with the staff along for the ride.

I've felt like Knott and Klein were a huge part of the success Rhoads has had all along. It's rare for ISU to have playmakers as good as them on defense, and it is even more rare to have two at once. They single handedly won ISU at least a couple games.

I didn't know Rhoads had that kind of a conversation with Knott. If he did tell him he's selfish for deciding to have surgery then that is complete BS. Talk about being a hypocrite. That young man gave everything he had for ISU. He deserved a shot to play in the league. If it is true this conversation occurred then I just lost some more respect for CPR. A coach should always have his player's best interests in mind, not his own.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
CPR's success or failure as we move forward will depend on fixing his mistakes, not because he has been infallible his entire time here and just up against it and unlucky and waiting for that to stop.

I don't think for a second that what has been posted in this thread is a made up lie. We like to think our coaches are these warm teddy bears who would never do anything wrong or be mean to anyone or make any wrong choices.

You can acknowledge CPR has made some bad moves both in coaching hires and in coaching decisions and still think that he is the guy to get it done moving forward.

The 7 wins in his first season may have been (probably was) a little bit of fools gold, and I had hopes he could do more with that initial success.

This year will speak volumes, because of the injuries and some unfortunate circumstances last year, there is a large chance IMO that the 3 win season was a fluke. If we win 3 again I will lose a lot of interest in our football program.

Last edited:

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010

I'm thinking more along the lines of a culture shift within the program. That's when the rumors started coming out about over working the roster, coaches butting heads on program philosophy and some discontent growing in the program from some players and their families. The Knott situation was just a catalyst.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I call BS. I don't expect current players to throw their current coach under the bus, however I know and have spoken to many former players who love CPR. There are always going to be a few who feel they were slighted but an overwhelming majority of the players under CPR love him.

I have been to many practices and the practice schedule throughout the season is realitively the same, they aren't working working them harder as the season goes on. Other than last season we haven't had many injuries and the injuries last season had nothing to do with practice schedules.

Practice can't be made an hour longer because practices are already at the maximum time allowed by the NCAA.

I call huge BS on CPR telling JK that he was selfish for getting season ending surgery, if that was the case I will guarantee Luke would not have stayed and played for ISU. Losing JK was a huge blow to our defense and you can see that in the win/loss column because JK was so good.