Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I would suggest not spending much more effort on this. They know their fan base, and they know they don't care if the program was racist. So why would they make changes? It is what it is.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
I still can’t get past Barta lying to investigators making a report where the results were supposed to go to him. Why lie if the report is supposedly for you? It is pretty clear that this report was intended to be a complete whitewash (pun very much intended) for the media, with no actual concern for the people involved.

It's been made clear on this board that this wasn't an investigation, it was a review.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
So again, you missed the mark, per usual. There are 60+ allegations against the program and only a handful MIGHT BE sensationalized. Even if it's say 50% (which it's not), that still leaves 30+ allegations. You're gonna sit there and say you're good with that lol?

Same thing happens with rape claims. Just because a tiny few claims end up being false, it makes some people distrust ANY claim by default. I'm going to guess there's a lot of Venn diagram overlap between these two types of folks.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
LOL that may as well have been hand written by Kirk/Barta. I agree that it is comedic that they only spoke to 29 former athletes, with more than double that amount speaking out on this publicly and hundreds more to choose from.

The "conclusion"/recommendations were as predicted from the start. Blame Doyle, call it a bullying and demeaning culture rather than racist and discriminatory, absolve KF of blame.

What a farce. Won't go over well national I'd bet. Now we see if there are other's who have been biding their time waiting for this sham to wrap up.
Unfortunately on a national scale, no one will bat an eye. It's Iowa, not Ohio State, Penn State, or Michigan. Despite a little national press on ESPN, CBS Sports etc, I'd really be surprised if the casual college football fan is even aware of it. Most of the Iowa fans I know are unaware or at least oblivious to it. Everybody gets off the hook. Damn shame

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Proud to be a Cyclone and proud to have the man we do coaching our young athletes.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Gary Barta told them he just heard about the drug testing disparities in June 2020. We know for a fact that isn’t true. They aren’t even being honest to the reviewers he is paying to do the review. What and absolute joke, if anybody cites this as some kind of evidence they are pathetic.

I think the biggest winner today was Robert T. Green.

I'm going to guess he and his clients won't be content to leave it alone. And it certainly looks like there are plenty of discrepancies between what's been said and what's in the various reports to formulate a cause of action.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Unfortunately on a national scale, no one will bat an eye. It's Iowa, not Ohio State, Penn State, or Michigan. Despite a little national press on ESPN, CBS Sports etc, I'd really be surprised if the casual college football fan is even aware of it. Most of the Iowa fans I know are unaware or at least oblivious to it. Everybody gets off the hook. Damn shame

My guess is that any damage to be done to their reputation has already been done. It was not going to be effected by firing Kirk, or the outcome of this review. Those that care know, those that don't maybe read a headline and moved on.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
He literally said "our culture" caused black athletes to feel they were unable to show up as their authentic selves.

Couldn't be more genuine.....not.

Seriously you're not fooling anyone. Iowa only cares about this because they have to now. Their response has proven as such.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He literally said "our culture" caused black athletes to feel they were unable to show up as their authentic selves.
He said this review brought them face to face with the allegations that our culture that demanded uniformity caused black athletes to feel they were unable to show up as their authentic selves. That's the most cop out apologetic statement I've ever heard.

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
I would suggest not spending much more effort on this. They know their fan base, and they know they don't care if the program was racist. So why would they make changes? It is what it is.
I care because it makes the whole state of Iowa look bad. There are plenty of people that don't know the difference between Iowa State and Iowa, and I don't want to get lumped in with the people enabling everything that's come out from IC. Here's hoping Robert T. Green is locked and loaded with a response and forces Barta's hand.

Reactions: aauummm

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He said this review brought them face to face with the allegations that our culture that demanded uniformity caused black athletes to feel they were unable to show up as their authentic selves. That's the most cop out apologetic statement I've ever heard.

Taking off my Cyclone-colored-glasses real quick, I do waffle a bit on Kirk's culpability here. It does look to me like black players had a hard time citing a ton of concrete examples of mistreatment. From what I gather, it's more of a cumulative effect of policies and rules that were racist in their effect.

Those situations can be hard. I think we've all had instances in life where you can't point to any great, big smoking-gun type moments, but rather it's a cumulative effect. Honestly, I'd guess that people have gone to Kirk and have been unable to produce real damning evidence of mistreatment, other than policies that technically applied to everyone, but were obviously disparate in their effect.

Seems to me like it's a situation of "what's understood need not be spoken". There was an understanding you couldn't be yourself, but maybe it wasn't always spoken. And I think Kirk probably leaned on the "it's not spoken" part and ignored the "what's understood" part.

But at the end of the day, you are paid several millions of dollars to run this program, and like any well paid executive the buck should stop at you. People have been fired for much, much less.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Taking off my Cyclone-colored-glasses real quick, I do waffle a bit on Kirk's culpability here. It does look to me like black players had a hard time citing a ton of concrete examples of mistreatment. From what I gather, it's more of a cumulative effect of policies and rules that were racist in their effect.

Those situations can be hard. I think we've all had instances in life where you can't point to any great, big smoking-gun type moments, but rather it's a cumulative effect. Honestly, I'd guess that people have gone to Kirk and have been unable to produce real damning evidence of mistreatment, other than policies that technically applied to everyone, but were obviously disparate in their effect.

Seems to me like it's a situation of "what's understood need not be spoken". There was an understanding you couldn't be yourself, but maybe it wasn't always spoken. And I think Kirk probably leaned on the "it's not spoken" part and ignored the "what's understood" part.

But at the end of the day, you are paid several millions of dollars to run this program, and like any well paid executive the buck should stop at you. People have been fired for much, much less.

Then why did Doyle get fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron