Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He's been an embarrassment on social media regarding this story. Contrast this with his months spent acting as Carson King's personal publicist last fall, and I think your explanation is the correct one: he wants to be liked and he's not going to accomplish that by going hard after this story.

He's more of a sports personality than a sports journalist at this point.

During a time that, as others have mentioned, there is literally nothing else in the sports world to talk about. A complete cop out.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm not sure there's a more telling sign of the damning nature of this new report than there only being one singular Iowa troll willing to show up and support Kirk.
Imo there's only one because literally 99.8% of hok fans are IGNORING it! If you ignore it, it goes away.... isn't that how it works? I know 100s of Hawkeye fans and have had only 2 of them actually engage me in a conversation about it. And that was before Doyle got paid to not coach. Crickets since. No way golden boy Kirk is guilty here. Ignorance is bliss

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I said that's how I read it, not that Doyle was referred to in the question. You read it differently.

Please tell me that is your smoking gun.

I don’t know if you have looked at nation sports news today but it looks like just you and Kirk’s son-in-law are dying on the “he didn’t actually say he didn’t know anything” hill.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
I'm one of a few (if not the only one) that agrees that Kirk never specifically said he had no knowledge. Although he certainly doesn't ever acknowledge the report.

What I think is just as bad is that they did this whole investigation, Kirk "found out" about the bias against black people in the program, and his solution was to let them wear earings and hoodies thinking all was good now?

If he knew about the problem over a year ago, why is he suddenly woke?
I'll tell you why, because it wasn't public knowledge then.

Justify that.

Good questions, basically they made changes on letting players express themselves more (hair, jewelery, wardrobe) and KF thought the culture of the program was in a good place after the 2019 season ended with a win in the Holiday Bowl. The Twitter ban was kept in place by vote of the Leadership Group.

He took the blame for not following through with the follow up meetings during the bye week and after the season of the committee that was formed. Would those follow up meetings uncovered anything additional? Hard telling but he still should have had them like he committed to.

Nothing new was in Howes article. The national media could have ran these stories weeks ago if they had actually paid attention to what was being discussed here.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I said that's how I read it, not that Doyle was referred to in the question. You read it differently.

Please tell me that is your smoking gun.
Let me ask you, who do you think these student athletes were talking about in this quote from the report?

"In the report, many examples were shared of black student-athletes being cursed at, ridiculed, and embarrassed in front of their peers. Some student-athletes interviewed felt their white peers were not spoken to in such a disrespectful way."

If I had to guess, they were talking about Doyle. This report didn't just show some of the policies and procedures athletes believed were discriminatory. It discusses how these athletes were treated by their coach / coaches. Kirk knew it was Doyle, changed the dress code to show he "changed" and thought he was all good.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Good questions, basically they made changes on letting players express themselves more (hair, jewelery, wardrobe) and KF thought the culture of the program was in a good place after the 2019 season ended with a win in the Holiday Bowl. The Twitter ban was kept in place by vote of the Leadership Group.

He took the blame for not following through with the follow up meetings during the bye week and after the season of the committee that was formed. Would those follow up meetings uncovered anything additional? Hard telling but he still should have had them like he committed to.

Nothing new was in Howes article. The national media could have ran these stories weeks ago if they had actually paid attention to what was being discussed here.
People knew a committee was formed, they didn't know what the committee found and what they reported to the University.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
I don’t know if you have looked at nation sports news today but it looks like just you and Kirk’s son-in-law are dying on the “he didn’t actually say he didn’t know anything” hill.

Again, these stories could have been published weeks ago by the national media. Nothing new was in Howes story.

The same national media that ISU fans in this thread were criticizing weeks ago for not covering this story are now having praise heaped on them by ISU fans for covering a story where all the details of the story were made public weeks ago.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Again, these stories could have been published weeks ago by the national media. Nothing new was in Howes story.

The same national media that ISU fans in this thread were criticizing weeks ago for not covering this story are now having praise heaped on them by ISU fans for covering a story where all the details of the story were made public weeks ago.
Everyone's been pretty vocal on the fact that the national media has been the ones giving these stories oxygen. Local media has been sitting on their hands for the most part.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

Well it is nice that they eventually came around to coving the blatant disregard for the players of color that Kirk Ferentz has shown then. Better late than never Triangle.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Kulick also tweeted and recently deleted ”So many snowflakes virtue signaling me. ADHD isn’t a mental disability you simpletons”

well, he is right, ADHD is NOT a mental disability. It has been proven to be a huge advantage in the long run because people learn different coping mechanisms. For example, they compensate for being so unsuccessful at school by making connections with people or they subconsciously develop leadership skills. Wall Street is full of guys leading firms that did poor in school because of ADHD or learning disabilities (60 Minutes or a show like that investigated why so many successful business men were poor at school).

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

You spend like 18 hours a day on these boards so you know damn well that the only media complaining taking place involved the local Iowa media. I know you are having a tough day so maybe you should sit a couple plays out.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
People knew a committee was formed, they didn't know what the committee found and what they reported to the University.

From Barta's press conference over a month ago:

"Going back further than a week and a half ago, in the spring of 2018 we were reviewing graduation rates and saw male African-American athletes were graduating at a lower rate than their peers. Not new news and not unique to Iowa, similar statistics elsewhere, but we wanted to do something about it. At my urging, a diversity take force was created to look at that specific issue. In early 2019, they came back with a report and concerns that were raised in interviews. Many of our African-American student-athletes did not feel comfortable being their true selves. Some said they felt like they had to put a mask one when they entered the door, asked to change hair style, and some felt they were't treated well. It was an anonymous survey, but it was reported back that many came from football so we started to address that right away."

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
so it looks like Kirk lied, just like he did when he said he didn't know where his son was living. But, I guess I'm still in the camp that nothing will happen. I mean it probably should, but we are talking about Iowa here, historically they can behave any way they want and the media, fans, supporters don't care, they won't hold them accountable.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
From Barta's press conference over a month ago:

"Going back further than a week and a half ago, in the spring of 2018 we were reviewing graduation rates and saw male African-American athletes were graduating at a lower rate than their peers. Not new news and not unique to Iowa, similar statistics elsewhere, but we wanted to do something about it. At my urging, a diversity take force was created to look at that specific issue. In early 2019, they came back with a report and concerns that were raised in interviews. Many of our African-American student-athletes did not feel comfortable being their true selves. Some said they felt like they had to put a mask one when they entered the door, asked to change hair style, and some felt they were't treated well. It was an anonymous survey, but it was reported back that many came from football so we started to address that right away."
"So to combat these allegations of racial disparities within the program, we allowed everyone to be able to wear their hats, hoodies, and earrings. Problem solved." How tone deaf.

Also graduation rates were not the only thing this report covered. If you read the full report, you'd know that.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

So now it's the national media to blame?
#deflectdeflectdeflect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron