Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah, not impressed with how obnoxiously blind, on social media, he's been during this whole thing.

I mean, I get that you always want to maintain good relationships, but it's not the job of journalists to protect or coddle people.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I mean, I get that you always want to maintain good relationships, but it's not the job of journalists to protect or coddle people.
I don't think Keith likes controversy, to be honest. That's certainly not me giving him a pass, because it's not. And I mean, wtf else is there to report on, especially in the sports world?

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Blind spot to the racist accusations against Doyle, not to the other issues that resulted in the forming of the committees is how I read that.

Go watch that press conference. The blind spot question had nothing to do with Doyle and the answer had nothing KU do with Doyle

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
Go watch that press conference. The blind spot question had nothing to do with Doyle and the answer had nothing KU do with Doyle

Q- What do you know now you didn't a week ago?

KF- We don't have enough time. First thing is why was there a blind spot? Former players were very direct and forthcoming and pointed out some things that gave me some new awareness. Our meetings Monday and Tuesday followed that up. Key is to create an environment where everyone can speak their mind and make sure it's valued.

jmclone

Aug 29, 2017
I'm sorry if I sound like "that guy," but the way the Iowa media protects the U of I makes my blood boil. If it was ISU in this situation you all know the local media would pick it up.

I'm sure the local media story is going to be how St Kirk is going to make changes and blah blah blah....

Ok, have at it :)

Reactions: aauummm

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Has anybody seen a comment from McCarney on what's going on in Iowa City?

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

KF- We don't have enough time. First thing is why was there a blind spot? Former players were very direct and forthcoming and pointed out some things that gave me some new awareness. Our meetings Monday and Tuesday followed that up. Key is to create an environment where everyone can speak their mind and make sure it's valued.

So literally nothing about Chris Doyle. We agree

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Iowa hired a new PR head a couple months ago.

baghdad-bob.jpg

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
So is anyone tweeting at the Iowa sports media regarding no coverage?

cyfan4

May 21, 2014
Ankeny, Iowa

I'm one of a few (if not the only one) that agrees that Kirk never specifically said he had no knowledge. Although he certainly doesn't ever acknowledge the report.

What I think is just as bad is that they did this whole investigation, Kirk "found out" about the bias against black people in the program, and his solution was to let them wear earings and hoodies thinking all was good now?

If he knew about the problem over a year ago, why is he suddenly woke?
I'll tell you why, because it wasn't public knowledge then.

Justify that.

kcbob79clone

So is anyone tweeting at the Iowa sports media regarding no coverage?

Follow me on Twitter (zero tolerance for politics or cursing or name calling, won't be moved to the CAVE it is #INSTABLOCK). There you'll see a lot of tweets, only Keith Murphy has replied. I am
KCBob79Clone
@Bubba2501
on Twitter

Every time 247Sports or CBS Sports or ESPN or ... tweeted I slammed them with this

Last edited:

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Q: When you look back at some of these conversations was there anything that you suspected or look back upon now that raised a memory that something was inappropriate?

FERENTZ: It’s not unusual for players to be unhappy about elements of the program, including me or a coach. But, nothing to alarm you or alert you.

Q:
To have more than 40 players describe their feelings, it’s almost a culture of fear. They are afraid to bring their voice up. Do you feel like there was a culture of fear, especially pertaining to Doyle? Were the players heard well enough, in your opinion?

FERENTZ:
The feedback that I have gotten in the last 48 hours has raised the level of that thought. I would also say as I listen to the former players, there was not enough candid conversations. There is a line in all this and if they were feeling disrespected or demeaned, those are areas of the program where we have to do our absolute best.

Best case scenario (for Ferentz): if Kirk wasn't lying last month, he saw the 2018 report and nothing in that report alarmed him.

Also, the recent statements (remarkably similar to those in the 2018 report) that were made publicly finally "raised his level of thought." So it was the "public" portion of this whole thing that made it important to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.