Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
So in your eyes this is directly related to the report not doing enough, or possibly lying/withholding evidence?
Not exactly. I think a lawsuit was possible all along. I think the admission of issues in the report, not addressing specific accusations, and failing to hold anyone accountable opened the door for exactly the type of lawsuit/demands that they've got their hands full with now.

I think one could assume that the outcome of their report was not taken as satisfactory by a group of former players and they pushed forward with a suit against the school. Also, case is a lot easier for an attorney to pick up when the school you're suing has two separate reviews admitting to racial disparities within the program.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Legal experts are saying Iowa's only two options, settle out of court or go to trial, leaves them in a bad situation. Unfortunately, you have to be a DM Register subscriber to read this article.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Legal experts are saying Iowa's only two options, settle out of court or go to trial, leaves them in a bad situation. Unfortunately, you have to be a DM Register subscriber to read this article.

Not good at all. If this goes to trial they're likely screwed.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Still guarantee Iowa won't settle @Hawkmi?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Not exactly. I think a lawsuit was possible all along. I think the admission of issues in the report, not addressing specific accusations, and failing to hold anyone accountable opened the door for exactly the type of lawsuit/demands that they've got their hands full with now.

I think one could assume that the outcome of their report was not taken as satisfactory by a group of former players and they pushed forward with a suit against the school. Also, case is a lot easier for an attorney to pick up when the school you're suing has two separate reviews admitting to racial disparities within the program.

I think they might have dodged the lawsuit if they canned Brian. But that would never happen.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
question becomes if they settle what becomes of Kirk and company afterwards then?? and how many others follow suit?
Well settling doesn't prove or even assume guilt. So doing so would not then mean they would fire those brought up in this lawsuit. Settling would however put the school into a HUGE financial hole, especially considering today's climate.

Where it gets tricky is if this does go to trial, there is ample evidence that proves these players were victims of the culture constructed by Kirk. The report from H-B this summer will be used as a building block for these reports to use. They have tons of interviews already conducted for them AND they're going to be able to use their client's testimonies who reportedly were not interviewed in H-B's process.

They will also bring into play the individual accounts of Wallace and Brian Ferentz from the report and Kirk and Barta would likely be pressed as to why they deemed it appropriate for them to stay with the staff. They're going to get grilled. Their decision making has been awful.

Will these players get the full $20 million? Who knows. But if the courts find these coaches guilty along with Kirk's lack of accountability, it could end up making their termination inevitable, along with Barta, as I'm sure his past will be brought into question as well.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Well settling doesn't prove or even assume guilt. So doing so would not then mean they would fire those brought up in this lawsuit. Settling would however put the school into a HUGE financial hole, especially considering today's climate.

Where it gets tricky is if this does go to trial, there is ample evidence that proves these players were victims of the culture constructed by Kirk. The report from H-B this summer will be used as a building block for these reports to use. They have tons of interviews already conducted for them AND they're going to be able to use their client's testimonies who reportedly were not interviewed in H-B's process.

They will also bring into play the individual accounts of Wallace and Brian Ferentz from the report and Kirk and Barta would likely be pressed as to why they deemed it appropriate for them to stay with the staff. They're going to get grilled. Their decision making has been awful.

Will these players get the full $20 million? Who knows. But if the courts find these coaches guilty along with Kirk's lack of accountability, it could end up making their termination inevitable, along with Barta, as I'm sure his past will be brought into question as well.

They've done that already with the "report".

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
question becomes if they settle what becomes of Kirk and company afterwards then?? and how many others follow suit?
No. The biggest question is will the terms of the settlement be publicly available.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Quite a situation where the best way forward was being sued by multiple former players.

CycloneDTMom

Nov 20, 2017
No. The biggest question is will the terms of the settlement be publicly available.

Generally speaking, under state Sunshine Laws settlements with public institutions must be publically available for review. There are a few circumstances where settlements may be kept private, but I would be surprised if any of them would be applicable in this case.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Not good at all. If this goes to trial they're likely screwed.
With a trial, there would be some perceived guilt even if they are totally cleared in the end. Unfortunately our society has very much turned into guilty until proven innocent. In this specific case, appears to be for good reason to some extent.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Since it is a public university, I am very confident that it has to be public information. Might have to request thru foia, but probably will be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron