Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
As someone with 15+ years experience in this field I am just telling you it is not that simple. If it were you would have a more prestigious plaintiffs firm involved. Current counsel likely scares nobody and looks like trying for an easy and quick settlement, which will never happen. Makes for a good story I get it, but writing a nastygram and getting to the finish line are lightyears apart. Civil litigation costs a fortune. Someone has to pay for it. Even in contingency agreements, the plaintiffs' firm pays and takes a cut from a settlement. I very much doubt these guys have the funds to get there and I would think they know this is a difficult claim to bet your own money on.
I guess you're saying you're not impressed with Damario Solomon-Simmons' firm, since he's their lead representation. I'd be more concerned knowing that Alfredo Parrish and Brandon Brown are their local counsel. Both Hawkeye alums and Al Parrish is a prominent name in Iowa, but they don't seem to be scared to bring this against the university.

SportsFan1

Oct 6, 2020
I do not work in Iowa, but am familiar with Parrish. Those guys are acting as "local counsel", which means they are not running the show. I am just saying that this lead plaintiffs' firm from Tulsa will not scare anyone for about 20 different reasons. If the players had an easy case there would be 100 top flight plaintiffs firms lining up down the block to represent them. That is how it works. It is still not a good situation for Iowa for reasons others have stated. But for people saying this is some sort of slam dunk because they don't like Iowa sports, they are simply misinformed.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I do not work in Iowa, but am familiar with Parrish. Those guys are acting as "local counsel", which means they are not running the show. I am just saying that this lead plaintiffs' firm from Tulsa will not scare anyone for about 20 different reasons. If the players had an easy case there would be 100 top flight plaintiffs firms lining up down the block to represent them. That is how it works. It is still not a good situation for Iowa for reasons others have stated. But for people saying this is some sort of slam dunk because they don't like Iowa sports, they are simply misinformed.

This reads like someone who has never represented a plaintiff involved in civil litigation in an Iowa courtroom.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
As I mentioned before, if Iowa struggles this year, he's gone.

The University of Iowa is now in a world of hurt. Barta, Kirk, and son are gone no matter how much success they have on the field this year. I'd put Thanksgiving as the over/under on when the announcement comes.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The University of Iowa is now in a world of hurt. Barta, Kirk, and son are gone no matter how much success they have on the field this year. I'd put Thanksgiving as the over/under on when the announcement comes.
Right before the wretched matchup between the Huskers?!

SportsFan1

Oct 6, 2020
This reads like someone who has never represented a plaintiff involved in civil litigation in an Iowa courtroom.

No, I definitely have not. But I have represented Colleges being sued for racial claims and they do not get settled under these circumstances. For the plaintiffs sake I would also think they would file a federal claim out of Iowa. Why AA players would want to litigate in the State of Iowa against the University of Iowa would be a mystery to me, but I am not in charge here.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
No, I definitely have not. But I have represented Colleges being sued for racial claims and they do not get settled under these circumstances. For the plaintiffs sake I would also think they would file a federal claim out of Iowa. Why AA players would want to litigate in the State of Iowa against the University of Iowa would be a mystery to me, but I am not in charge here.
I hate to break it to you but your Hawkeyes are in deep **** here

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I grew up in DM and my parents cheered for both teams so I support both teams, Drake/UNI as well. Respectfully, you don't have a clue what you are talking about, but carry on.
You don't think Solomon-Simmons is a reputable attorney? You think Parrish takes on a case thinking it wouldn't have resources to win? Iowa is worried. Maybe I actually do know what I'm talking about here

SportsFan1

Oct 6, 2020
You don't think Solomon-Simmons is a reputable attorney? You think Parrish takes on a case thinking it wouldn't have resources to win? Iowa is worried. Maybe I actually do know what I'm talking about here

Everyone is just speculating, me include. To answer your first question, it is a one man shop out of Tulsa that seems to specialize in race related representations (including personal injury), but I am not finding much of anything on large settlements where he was lead counsel, trials, etc. That is something plaintiffs' attorneys always promote for obvious reasons. Maybe he is extremely humble. To the players benefit, anyone, would be a step up from the Green character that was speaking on their behalf previously.

Mr. Parrish does have a reputation and is good at knowing how to get in the media and get his name out there. Sometimes that benefit is worth taking on a case with some thorns. This one absolutely has $ problems, all these type of cases do, which is why the ones with a lot of merit get snapped up by the most well funded plaintiffs' firms from around the US. Maybe they can go to a litigation funder, but those have steep rates and difficult criteria for approval.

I had a case for a college where the plaintiffs' alleged a certain program was "too hard", not joking. This somewhat reminds me of that. Only reason it is getting some publicity is b/c they have this racial issue, which seems overblown. For credibility they need a lot of players that actually stayed 4-5 years as plaintiffs, not guys that did not play and left.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyTwins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron