Kid to skip senior season in High School to play in Europe

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
An update on this kid.
-High school junior Jeremy Tyler—who reportedly has offers from two teams in Greece (Marrousi and Panellinios) and Italy’s Armani Jeans Milano, but may opt to sign with a relatively unknown franchise in Israel—Maccabi Heat Haifa—backed by quite an ambitious American owner by the name of Jeff Rosen. Tyler is now being represented by well-known basketball agency Wasserman Media Group, who had a very positive experience sending then-USC freshman Davon Jefferson to Haifa, where he had a breakthrough season. The offer is reportedly somewhere in the 200k range.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I think he should "have to" complete HS before going to Europe. Hell, get a GED or something. You can't play bball forever.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think he should "have to" complete HS before going to Europe. Hell, get a GED or something. You can't play bball forever.

Yeah, because a GED really takes you places.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I just don't know how you can put a price tag on your senior year of high school. Couldn't imagine missing out on all of the things like prom, football games, etc. But I suppose if my savings account had a couple more zeros, I would learn to deal with it.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Yeah, because a GED really takes you places.

I'm just saying that if he blows out his ACL, any kind of season/career ending injury, a backup plan will include other employment....then try getting a job without a HS diploma

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I know what you're saying. I think his plan is to get his GED though.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I know what you're saying. I think his plan is to get his GED though.

A GED is a pale imitation of a high school diploma. I know someone who found that out the hard way. And needless to say, a HS diploma is a pale shadow of a college education.

This kid is making a bad move for all of the wrong reasons. For crying out loud, he's only seventeen. Is is mom going to go along with him? Does he speak the language of the country he's going to? On and on and on...

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
His uncle I believe is going with him. In Europe kids go pro when they are 16 (or younger). I'm not saying he is making the right decision or not, but the kid stands to make hundreds of thousands of dollars to prepare himself to play in the NBA. I don't have any problem with the baseball kid who talked about getting his GED, and going to a year of JUCO so he can declare for the baseball draft early either. If that's what they want to do that's fine.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Jeremy Tyler, the 18-year-old basketball player who is skipping his senior year at San Diego High, has signed a one-year deal with Maccabi Haifa of the Israeli Premier League.
Tyler is the first American-born player to leave high school early to play basketball professionally overseas.
"I am looking forward to starting my professional basketball career in Israel and helping this team advance to the Final Four," Tyler said in a statement.
The contract is worth $150,000, a team spokesman told ESPN.com.
Tyler is expected to return to the United States when he becomes eligible for the 2011 NBA draft. Sonny Vaccaro, who has advised Tyler and his family, said it will be up to the player to decide where he wants to play next season.

isufan33

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 24, 2009
yea they should and tyler should be ashamed of himself, when your dad says the stuff he did, you know tyler has to be a jerk

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron