Kick Off Following ISU's 14 point Score at OSU

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I have never seen an ISU team drop kick a kickoff. Any team, actually.

Almost successful, although it seems to me to be a very dicey alternative to the straight away kick.

Anyone have any Paul Harvey's "rest of the story"?

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I thought I saw some team do a successful onside kick the week before and kick it with the same spin that that drop kick had. Wondering if the staff saw that and thought to give it a shot. After it happened I was thinking they should be trying that more often. I think the other team started at About their own 30 so it’s not like it gave the team really good field position

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I thought I saw some team do a successful onside kick the week before and kick it with the same spin that that drop kick had. Wondering if the staff saw that and thought to give it a shot. After it happened I was thinking they should be trying that more often. I think the other team started at About their own 30 so it’s not like it gave the team really good field position
I have always thought a pooch kick should be in the kickoff "mix". Targeted toward the ~25 yard sideline away from a receiver. With a backward spin the ball if not caught, would settle in for a possible recovery. Would eliminate long run back.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Maybe the coaches will give Corey a chance to drop kick an extra point late in the game tomorrow. I would love to see it.

In high school we had a kid whose grandpa had taught him to drop kick. The coaches kept saying if we were involved in a blow out they would let him do it in a game. They didn't say that we would have to be on the top side of the blow out and we weren't very good so we never got to see it in a game.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I have always thought a pooch kick should be in the kickoff "mix". Targeted toward the ~25 yard sideline away from a receiver. With a backward spin the ball if not caught, would settle in for a possible recovery. Would eliminate long run back.

Granted any D1 football player has a much higher football proficiency than me, I often found myself as the "upback" on kickoffs and was always terrified they'd pooch one to me. I wanted no part of that ****.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
CMC trusts the defense, as he should. Might be likely then we see it again.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Apparently Michael Dickson has at least 3 of them in the NFL. The last of these three after their kicker went down with an injury.

Of course another Aussie.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: khardbored

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Granted any D1 football player has a much higher football proficiency than me, I often found myself as the "upback" on kickoffs and was always terrified they'd pooch one to me. I wanted no part of that ****.
SO, you are saying this WOULD be a good strategy for the kicking team?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
SO, you are saying this WOULD be a good strategy for the kicking team?

Again, I'd like to think a D1 football player would not be both scared of having to catch the ball and being tackled as I apparently was. But if they happen to be, sounds like a great idea.

Reactions: SCarolinaCy

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Maybe the coaches will give Corey a chance to drop kick an extra point late in the game tomorrow. I would love to see it.

In high school we had a kid whose grandpa had taught him to drop kick. The coaches kept saying if we were involved in a blow out they would let him do it in a game. They didn't say that we would have to be on the top side of the blow out and we weren't very good so we never got to see it in a game.
I remember as a kid practicing (messin' around) drop kicks for FG's

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Years ago I remember watching a piece on a sportcenter type show which discussed the different rules that come into play on a drop kick. For instance if a punting team catches a drop kick they are awarded the ball and allowed to advance just as if the drop kicker had thrown a forward pass.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Years ago I remember watching a piece on a sportcenter type show which discussed the different rules that come into play on a drop kick. For instance if a punting team catches a drop kick they are awarded the ball and allowed to advance just as if the drop kicker had thrown a forward pass.
Is that NFL only, or NFL and college?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
That was fun, really bounced off one of their guys great, and ISU had a pretty decent chance of getting to the ball.

Help Support Us

Become a patron