Kick Off Following ISU's 14 point Score at OSU

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Granted any D1 football player has a much higher football proficiency than me, I often found myself as the "upback" on kickoffs and was always terrified they'd pooch one to me. I wanted no part of that ****.

Coach Mac's rule was if it was kicked to an upback you had to fair catch it. The closest I came to getting a kick off return touch as an upback was a "surprise" onside kick that Colorado did against us.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
3rd quarter traditional onside kick by a trailing team is among the best plays you can run when the numbers get crunched.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I played rugby but never really thought about the drop kick for an onside kick in football. There’s a type of drop kick in rugby called a “grubby” kick which is kicked in the upper half of the ball that if executed correctly rolls end over end twice on the ground and then pops back up in the air around chest height. That would work damn good in an onside situation, just not sure if the more pointed ends of the football would allow it to happen.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I played rugby but never really thought about the drop kick for an onside kick in football. There’s a type of drop kick in rugby called a “grubby” kick which is kicked in the upper half of the ball that if executed correctly rolls end over end twice on the ground and then pops back up in the air around chest height. That would work damn good in an onside situation, just not sure if the more pointed ends of the football would allow it to happen.
This is how every onside kick is supposed to work.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
I didn't actually see Dunn's kick, but sounds like it was a low squib-type that was tough to handle for an up-man? Those videos of Dickson doing it, what is the purpose or benefit of a drop-kick versus regular kick-off when he is kicking it all the way to the goalline?

Reactions: SCarolinaCy

Help Support Us

Become a patron