Kempt sixth-year ... any day now

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Kyle must have been pretty convincing regarding the circumstances surrounding his departure. I can't imagine you'd get any direct input from Oregon State.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Kyle must have been pretty convincing regarding the circumstances surrounding his departure. I can't imagine you'd get any direct input from Oregon State.
OSU's coach is gone now too.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Chris any idea on what the QB competition will look like if he gets this? I can't imagine they just hand it over to him, but I also can't imagine him coming back to be the back up.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Chris any idea on what the QB competition will look like if he gets this? I can't imagine they just hand it over to him, but I also can't imagine him coming back to be the back up.

Man, you'd think it would be Kempt's job to lose with the respect he has from the staff and the team. Noland would have to be pretty spectacular in spring and August to overtake him.

But who knows? Get the sixth year first and we'll see.

great2baclone

May 7, 2014
I hope he gets it! I feel like he has earned the right to come in as the starter in the spring; however Zeb and Re'al are very talented.

• Agree
Reactions: Chitowncy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I hope he gets it! I feel like he has earned the right to come in as the starter in the spring; however Zeb and Re'al are very talented.

If Moore or Mitchell make a push to be anything more than the #3 guy on the depth chart this year(assuming KK gets a sixth year or they bring in a transfer who's immediately eligible) I'll be very surprised. Moore tore his ACL a couple days into his first spring practice and hasn't played since, and Mitchell is a true freshman.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
He earned it last year under odd circumstances in the middle of the season. With a full off season competition who know's what could happen. Zeb has a higher ceiling I think, so that would probably entice the staff to give him a chance.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I am really curious as to how that works with regards to coaching changes. It has to be more than the player's word. I would imagine they need something from the other staffs saying he didn't fit what they were going to do. Otherwise, you think players could get it all the time. Don't play at a school and a new coach comes, transfer and get an extra year even if the change had no effect.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
He earned it last year under odd circumstances in the middle of the season. With a full off season competition who know's what could happen. Zeb has a higher ceiling I think, so that would probably entice the staff to give him a chance.

I would almost think that the staff would HAVE to give Zeb a big chance to earn it, regardless. Not just hand it to Kyle, even tho you'd guess he'd be the frontrunner. Otherwise Zeb might look elsewhere. Want them both back of course!

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I would almost think that the staff would HAVE to give Zeb a big chance to earn it, regardless. Not just hand it to Kyle, even tho you'd guess he'd be the frontrunner. Otherwise Zeb might look elsewhere. Want them both back of course!
This staff doesn't "hand" positions to anyone on the team. Never has and never will.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I fear we'll find out quickly how much Lazard bailed Kempt out.

I kind of don't like this. As it stands, Kempt will walk away a legend, but if you're honest about it, he's pretty limited and a whole off-season is going to help other teams figure him out. Besides that, during the bowl game, his accuracy really decreased and Lazard made a bunch of spectacular catches that got us out of a jam and inflated Kempt's stats.

I'd hate to see him come back, struggle, get benched, and see the legend of Kyle Kempt go out in that fashion.

Of course, maybe an extra year will help work some of those kinks out and he'll be better than ever. I guess, at the end of the day, I trust the staff on this.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Start with no expectations and as it gets closer our expectations ramp up for one reason or another, only to be let down. Sounds like every game of our conference basketball season so far :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: brycy

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
I fear we'll find out quickly how much Lazard bailed Kempt out.

I kind of don't like this. As it stands, Kempt will walk away a legend, but if you're honest about it, he's pretty limited and a whole off-season is going to help other teams figure him out. Besides that, during the bowl game, his accuracy really decreased and Lazard made a bunch of spectacular catches that got us out of a jam and inflated Kempt's stats.

I'd hate to see him come back, struggle, get benched, and see the legend of Kyle Kempt go out in that fashion.

Of course, maybe an extra year will help work some of those kinks out and he'll be better than ever. I guess, at the end of the day, I trust the staff on this.
Don't forget, he still has Butler. That guy is a stud.