KC Living/Gamewatch

dtlantz

Apr 10, 2006
Maryland
Moving to KC this weekend and am trying to line up some apartments to view. Does anyone have any recommendations for leasing companies? Right now, I am looking at three places through KC Loft Central on Saturday morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, where should I drag the girlfriend to watch the football game on Saturday?

Thanks guys!

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
If you are renting, live close to a fun area. Plaza is great. You can rent a whole home at a reasonable rate. River market has some good spots, as well as the Crossroads area.

Gamewatch: Kelly's in Westport is a no-brainer, but I have also done the Other Place in Overland Park. Good amount of Cyclones in KC.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
OP and Kelly's are def good place to watch the game. Where are you going to be working/schooling? That could be a major factor on where you want to live. Welcome to KC!

dtlantz

Apr 10, 2006
Maryland
OP and Kelly's are def good place to watch the game. Where are you going to be working/schooling? That could be a major factor on where you want to live. Welcome to KC!

Office is at Wyandotte and 12th downtown but I will be traveling quite a bit. I know next to nothing about KC but since I'm young (26) I am thinking Plaza/downtown are the places to be.

cyclone456

Apr 12, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Loved living in KC, got a friend that lives downtown close to Power and Light and he loves it. I lived in Overland Park and Olathe not as fun but nice

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
There is no scheduled alumni game watch this weekend since the alumni group is taking a bus trip to the game but Kelly's would be a good bet to watch the game at.

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
If you are renting, live close to a fun area. Plaza is great. You can rent a whole home at a reasonable rate. River market has some good spots, as well as the Crossroads area.

Gamewatch: Kelly's in Westport is a no-brainer, but I have also done the Other Place in Overland Park. Good amount of Cyclones in KC.

If by no brainer you mean stay away. The place sucks, IMO and is a bad place to watch a game. The only reason it is consider an Iowa State Bar is because a big group of people watched basketball games there, but not anymore.

The Other Place is decent, but it is a Hawk bar.

I personally watch my games at the Brooksider, there is usually a fair amount of Clone fans but I am assuming it will have a good amount of KSU fans this weekend. I watched the OU game at the New Johnny's on 95th and Antioch. TV's are everywhere, but not all Johnny's are this good.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Loved living in KC, got a friend that lives downtown close to Power and Light and he loves it. I lived in Overland Park and Olathe not as fun but nice
Sounds like Power and Light would be the best as it is closer towards the airport.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
I lived in Quality Hill and loved it. You could walk to work. Lots of different floor plans and buildings. Close but not too close to Power and Light. Has a YMCA in the heart of the properties.

I would also browse the private adds. Lots of loft and condo owners renting right now for cheap because the market is not there to sell. Being young (and assumed single) I see no reason to look anywhere outside of the Downtown/Crossroads/Plaza area.

Kellys and Brooksider are both good. OP is a great place to watch a Hawkeye game if you are into that.

Be sure to join the KC ISU Alumni Club. It's a very active group. Bus trip to Manhattan this weekend.

dtlantz

Apr 10, 2006
Maryland
I lived in Quality Hill and loved it. You could walk to work. Lots of different floor plans and buildings. Close but not too close to Power and Light. Has a YMCA in the heart of the properties.

I would also browse the private adds. Lots of loft and condo owners renting right now for cheap because the market is not there to sell. Being young (and assumed single) I see no reason to look anywhere outside of the Downtown/Crossroads/Plaza area.

Kellys and Brooksider are both good. OP is a great place to watch a Hawkeye game if you are into that.

Be sure to join the KC ISU Alumni Club. It's a very active group. Bus trip to Manhattan this weekend.

Is Quality Hill in the western part of downtown? I'm planning on renting for a year and then probably looking to buy a house.

It looks like I'll be going to Kelly's this weekend and will be joining the Alumni Club ASAP. The DC Alumni Club is not that great.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Is Quality Hill in the western part of downtown? I'm planning on renting for a year and then probably looking to buy a house.

Yes. Quality Hill is a series of properties (apartments, condos, townhomes) in and around 11th and Broadway that are both for rent and for sale. They just remodeled a bunch of condos and townhomes a few years ago and put them up for sale. They were well done. If you could rent one of those from a private owner I would highly recommend it. Otherwise, the rentals have all kinds of different buildings and floor plans.

Rentals:

Kansas City Apartments - Quality Hill Apartments and Condominiums

Condos for sale (maybe they assist owners with rentals):

Quality Hill Condominums | Downtown Kansas City's Historical Neighborhood | 816.472.HOME

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
Moving to KC this weekend and am trying to line up some apartments to view. Does anyone have any recommendations for leasing companies? Right now, I am looking at three places through KC Loft Central on Saturday morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, where should I drag the girlfriend to watch the football game on Saturday?

Thanks guys!

if you want to come out to the south to watch the game there will be a group of us at the TAnners Sports bar at 119th and US 69 hgwy. Real easy to get to.
I wont besmirch the others but like many have said, Kellys was from the old days and not quite the same nor is Westport. Other place is too many hoks.
Brooksider is good as they have remodeled and have almost as many TVs as Tanners.
Good food and good view usually.
Welcome to KC!