JTS Improvements - Want More

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Labeled as natural prairie but looked really bad
When we used to tailgate along Beach and they charged $20 per car, when nature called we answered in the natural praire. We found an unopened handle of Captain Morgan in a backpack in that same natural prairie.

• Haha
Reactions: crs8975

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would say this is fairly common. I worked at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as a volunteer a couple of times. I also know parents that have worked at other D1 stadiums for fundraisers. I expect it is hard to hire people to work concession stands during games even at a decent wage. I would say the key is to make sure it is a really good fundraiser for groups and advertise it.
Yeah, it is really tough to hire people for a job that will only work 7 days out of the year.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If it was set up with good incentives, I’ll bet I could put together a crew that would be glad to work 7 Saturdays per year and make really good money.

Very few concessions seem to be working with incentives in mind.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Our local wrestling program worked a concession spot at KC Chiefs Arrowhead for several years. It was for all home games for a season. It was fairly well organized, and wrestlers and parents would sign up, took about twelve warm bodies per game. They would get desperate at times and some of us parents whose kids did not wrestle but supported the athletic department would volunteer. When we got there, two concession workers would be on site to overseer us and be in command. I would volunteer to run a kiosk by myself that only sold brats and beer which was great because after the third quarter, beer sales were cut off and nobody was buying a brat in the 4th quarter either. So I could go to the tunnel and watch the 4th quarter off and on. I agree that the concession situation at Trice is poorly run but it is the fault of whoever is in charge of on site operation not the volunteers. If two permanent concession full time workers are not dedicated to each counter you can't expect part timers to handle the surge.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
If it was set up with good incentives, I’ll bet I could put together a crew that would be glad to work 7 Saturdays per year and make really good money.

Very few concessions seem to be working with incentives in mind.

Incentives? What going to try and sell some appetizers?

The reality is stadium food is a monopoly. People really only have one choice so they can get away with high prices and lackluster service.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
wow I don't know those apartments on lincoln way were that old. I had a buddy live there one year. It was actually a pretty nice spot.
i bumped uglies in that complex like 10 years ago... crazy!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Sooooooo.....back to JTS udpates...any new pics?

I know its only 15-16 days away, but I honestly look forward to the pics every damn day.

Unless you're craving photos of workers striping a parking lot, everything on this year's list is pretty much done and has been documented.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
hawks use their concessions, cleanup and even installing seat backs as fundraisers as well.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
The "final" pic of the new practice fields:

The “space” between the practice field and west entry gate in that photo (appears to be a parking lot?); is there an access road from the south parking lots/R. Gardens area? Or is only access from the north?

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
The “space” between the practice field and west entry gate in that photo (appears to be a parking lot?); is there an access road from the south parking lots/R. Gardens area? Or is only access from the north?
That's where the TV trucks and crews park. That pathway isn't curbed, and typically drive in from the south. That's how they get the equipment truck in and out as well.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneFanInKC

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

There's an access road from S1 -- it's how the equipment truck and TV trucks get in/out.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneFanInKC